F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Repairing diamond cut (442M) alloys?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 4 Series

Repairing diamond cut (442M) alloys?

The inevitable happened last night and I kerbed one of my 442M's alloys, absolutely gutted as I've only had the car for about a week

Wanted to know has anyone had any experience getting their 442M's repaired? Because they are diamond cut I believe they are quite difficult, and from what I've read they dont came back the same once repaired.

Can the dealers do them? How much do they charge for this? (based inside London)

Last edited by vimy; 12-29-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

How bad is the damage? Can you take a pic?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #3
Frosticles
Skint as always
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

I had a scuffed 403M caused by a loon. I had to replace the wheel as if it was refurbished then the warranty would have been invalidated in the future. I was also told that in order for it to be a guaranteed match then all 4 would have needed doing.
In the end, I went for a new wheel. Just had my wheels replaced under warranty so now I have a brand new unused rear as a spare
      12-30-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

You can repair diamond cut alloys, but the issue is that you can only diamond cut the surface a number of times before needing to replace the whole alloy.

There are quite a few really good alloy repair centres that will do full refurbs and you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It's worth looking at the extent of the damage. You might be able to get away with wet sanding the damage flat and coating it in lacquer.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here are some images of the damage... now that I look at it I'm thinking whether its worth the hassle of trying to repair it.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Tr0y
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F33 428i M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticles View Post
I had a scuffed 403M caused by a loon. I had to replace the wheel as if it was refurbished then the warranty would have been invalidated in the future. I was also told that in order for it to be a guaranteed match then all 4 would have needed doing.
In the end, I went for a new wheel. Just had my wheels replaced under warranty so now I have a brand new unused rear as a spare
What was wrong with your wheels?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimy View Post
Here are some images of the damage... now that I look at it I'm thinking whether its worth the hassle of trying to repair it.

That's quite deep, definitely gone through the lacquer and into the metal, it will need a professional refurb.

How do you find the GY eagle F1's? I'm thinking of getting them when my S001's need changing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep

The real question is can they be restored back to their original state or will there be a difference and at what cost?
I would have just replaced the alloy if it couldn't but I'm not prepared to pay 600 quid for it (as stated on the BMW website).

I haven't really done much spirited driving to tell how good the tyres really are tbh, they do grip well in wet conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The real question is can they be restored back to their original state or will there be a difference and at what cost?
I would have just replaced the alloy if it couldn't but I'm not prepared to pay 600 quid for it (as stated on the BMW website).

I haven't really done much spirited driving to tell how good the tyres really are tbh, they do grip well in wet conditions.
If you put the wheels right next to each other you might notice a slight difference. But really at the cost of £120 compared to £600 for a new wheel it's a no brainer imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Ruffy
Rep
Drives: 435D

That can easy be sorted, most places will be around the 100 mark.

I had a mark simlar to this and done it my self for a tenner just took a few hours sanding it back, their are a few tiny blemishs still in the metal but nothing anyone would see unless I told you where to look.

The Goodyears have been getting some decent reviews. I have them on my 435D and they seem fine but havent drove with another run flat before so cant compare them to anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any recommendations on where I can get them refurb'd inside the M25?

I'm gonna get the car washed during the weekend and see how bad it looks, I rarely kerb my alloys but I know sods law... as soon as I repair it or replace the alloy I'm gonna kerb it again so I'm in two minds on whether to put the money towards more useful mods for the car
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #12
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:

I'm gonna get the car washed during the weekend and see how bad it looks, I rarely kerb my alloys but I know sods law... as soon as I repair it or replace the alloy I'm gonna kerb it again so I'm in two minds on whether to put the money towards more useful mods for the car
I would get it looked at and treated. This time of year the weather could corrode it and also with the Muck on the road the kerbing will go black and look at mess.

I was told £160 to repair the alloy and as Teaston states unless you are putting two wheels together you wil not notice the difference.

I am very fortunate. Now 18 months with 19's with no kerb marks. However I do swap my wheels for winters during the bad months which helps preserve the .

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
I would get it looked at and treated. This time of year the weather could corrode it and also with the Muck on the road the kerbing will go black and look at mess.

I was told £160 to repair the alloy and as Teaston states unless you are putting two wheels together you wil not notice the difference.

I am very fortunate. Now 18 months with 19's with no kerb marks. However I do swap my wheels for winters during the bad months which helps preserve the .

Dickie
Would it really corrode the alloy? I'm sure I've deeper scratches than that on my previous cars for more than a year without any corrosion
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Would it really corrode the alloy? I'm sure I've deeper scratches than that on my previous cars for more than a year without any corrosion
Were your previous wheels diamond cut?

The problem with diamond cut is the lacquer doesn't ahere to the metal as well as it does to powder coat, so when water gets in it makes the lacquer bubble and peel which looks like this, eventually!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Not inside the M25, but Lepsons in Kent are very good.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

vimy I sanded mine down using p100 and then p240, applied a bit of lacquer after. It got rid of the nasty pitting that attracts the dirt. Just mask it off first.

in the second pic the damage was similar to yours shame I didn't take a before pic

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=16284360
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
Frosticles
Skint as always
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr0y View Post
What was wrong with your wheels?
They were starting to corrode around the centres
      12-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Were your previous wheels diamond cut?

The problem with diamond cut is the lacquer doesn't ahere to the metal as well as it does to powder coat, so when water gets in it makes the lacquer bubble and peel which looks like this, eventually!
Yes they were also diamond cut, they were deeper too... had them for almost 2 years and didnt see any corrosion myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #19
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
Not inside the M25, but Lepsons in Kent are very good.
I've seen mixed reviews with them, but what concerns me is they'll need the wheel for a couple of days which wouldnt even be a problem if there was a spare wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes they were also diamond cut, they were deeper too... had them for almost 2 years and didnt see any corrosion myself.
You were quite lucky then. A few on here have already had corroding 403M's, from sround the centre caps, not even from kerb damage!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
You were quite lucky then. A few on here have already had corroding 403M's, from sround the centre caps, not even from kerb damage!
From what I've read theres some defect with those alloys? BMW are actually replacing them under warranty.

I think the OCD side of me will be able to tell the difference if I refurbed it.
I'm gonna wait and see if one of the alloys goes up on fleebay, there is already a few there but all with more damage than my alloy.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
From what I've read theres some defect with those alloys? BMW are actually replacing them under warranty.

I think the OCD side of me will be able to tell the difference if I refurbed it.
I'm gonna wait and see if one of the alloys goes up on fleebay, there is already a few there but all with more damage than my alloy.
Oh you have OCD, then logic will not necessarily work in your pursuit of happiness, it will play on your mind until you self justify spending £600 on a new wheel. It's a shame for your bank balance as a £100 repair would suffice.
Appreciate 0