F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Audio system upgrades: BimmerTech or BavSound?
ARMA SPEED

04-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
viajealmundo
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 428xi

Audio system upgrades: BimmerTech or BavSound?

Hi all,

I have a F32 428xi with the Hi-Fi audio system, and I am really shocked at how sub-par it is. My E90 had great audio quality (and I didn't have the upgraded audio system), but the F3X's system is really not doing it for me. I find it amusing because everyone always compliments the sound quality in my car compared to theirs, but I'm not content. Everything else in this car is so beautiful!

My dilemma is that I like to play music loud, and I definitely like to "feel" the bass when playing music. I listen to a lot of pop and hip-hop. It's nice to have a good system to play at 15% in the background while talking to people (in which case the current system is totally sufficient), but I often drive alone, and especially in the summertime I like music loud. Yes, I'm young I find myself having the volume almost always at 80%, and if I turn it up more the music just gets distorted.

I'm looking for an audio system (as in... new speakers, subwoofers, and amplifier) that will cover all my bases. I don't need something to be absolutely perfect, but I would expect a quality equivalent to the harmon/kardon upgraded system. I'm just looking for clear audio that can get LOUD with an extra kick of bass.

Basically, I have found two systems that tick these boxes: BavSound Stage One and BimmerTech Alpha One. They both feature new speakers, new subwoofers, and an amp, and are about the same price ($2100-2200). That's definitely pricey (more so than I expected to pay), but it is worth if I can get something that is of good quality.

So, have you had any experience with BavSound or Bimmertech in your F3X? What is the high volume/bass performance like? What are the positives and negatives? If I'm going to shell out $2k+, I want to make sure I'm buying a quality product.

If you only have one thing out of the system (i.e. just speakers or amp), please feel free to chime in as well. I'm looking for all the feedback I can get!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

There's nothing wrong with the stock speakers, they're of equal if not better quality than those in the E90. The amp is weak, and the EQ even weaker, so that's what you should consider replacing. Threads on that subject abound. As for bass, that requires a trunk mounted powered sub, no getting around that.

Last edited by Billfitz; 04-14-2019 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
There's nothing wrong with the stock speakers, they're of equal if not better quality than those in the E90. The amp is weak, and the EQ even weaker, so that's what you should consider replacing. Threads on that subject abound. As for bass, that requires a trunk mounted powered sub, no getting around that.
Stock speakers may be fine for you. I'm almost certain a few are blown, so I'm actually looking to replace those.

I did quite a bit of searching and it's mostly isolated events of people loving whatever system they chose, or hating on BavSound or Bimmertech for one reason or another. I'm looking for feedback from people who have had at least some experience from both. I already know what type of product I'm getting, I just need advice on these two options.

re: bass: The subwoofer underneath the seats will do. I hear that BimmerTech's subwoofers bring more bass than stock ones do. Not really necessary to have one in the trunk if I can replace the ones under the seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I have the Bavsound Revenant amp. It’s still in the box. I need to find time to install it. I find the stock hifi inadequate with the top down on the freeway
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajealmundo View Post
The subwoofer underneath the seats will do.
Not if I read your post correctly. You can only get so much from eight inch drivers mounted in small boxes.
Quote:
I hear that BimmerTech's subwoofers bring more bass than stock ones do.
Perhaps. That can be confirmed by seeing the Thiele/Small specs for them (google it), then comparing them to those of the OEM drivers using speaker modeling software (google that too). If there are specs for the bimmertech woofers I can't find them. Of all the woofers that do have published specs the only one I've found that will work better than stock is the SWS Earthquake, and only if driven with at least 150 watts.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I have the Bavsound Revenant amp. It’s still in the box. I need to find time to install it. I find the stock hifi inadequate with the top down on the freeway
Yes, agreed. Please let me know what you think after you install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
SWS Earthquake,
I will look into this, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You'll want to take into consideration the amp driving the Earthquakes when choosing the impedance option to order.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Replace the amp first. Decide if you're happy. If not, then either replace the underseats and/or add a trunk sub. If doing the underseats, I'd do the SWS Earthquake (as already suggested). Replacing the stock speakers in the doors would be my last change (unless damaged).

Common/Easy Amp Options:
  1. MATCH UP 7BMW or Bavsound Revenant - same amp, but the latter is more restricted.
  2. JL Audio XD600/6v2 with harness from Technic
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Replace the amp first. Decide if you're happy. If not, then either replace the underseats and/or add a trunk sub. If doing the underseats, I'd do the SWS Earthquake (as already suggested). Replacing the stock speakers in the doors would be my last change (unless damaged).

Common/Easy Amp Options:
  1. MATCH UP 7BMW or Bavsound Revenant - same amp, but the latter is more restricted.
When replacing the stock amp DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and spend and extra $20 for remote turn on wire and signal cables and run them wherever you plan to locate the amp for the in trunk sub if you decide to do that next. Will save you from ripping the trunk apart 2x.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #10
viajealmundo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post

Common/Easy Amp Options:
Something like this was exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely look into these individually.

I am almost certain at least a few of my speakers are shot, unfortunately. So I will see where I go from here.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If I had to replace any of my door midranges it wouldn't be with any of the usual choices. Because they're BMW specific they're priced much higher than they should be. I'd probably use these:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--290-212

It would take some work to mount them but by no means would it be all that difficult. These are reasonably priced BMW specific drivers:
https://www.parts-express.com/grs-b1...odels--292-490

The problem I have with them is their xmax, which is the distance the cone can travel before distortion is excessive. They're 2.1mm, compared to 4mm for the Daytons. That means despite the higher thermal power rating for the GRS the Dayton will go louder.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
carseatdelete
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 xdrive

Hi All, new to forum and bimmer ownership. Just bought 2015 F31 328i xdrive. Want to upgrade to bimmertech or bavsound or match UP7 bmw plug'n'play amp. I'm confused about ASD with these amps. Bavsound website makes no mention of ASD. bimmertech website says I need to purchase an ASD cancelling harness to install with their amp. Can anyone clarify which of these amps need an extra ASD cancelling harness? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #13
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I have the Bavsound Revenant and my car has ASD. Didn’t need to do anything to it when I installed the amp. I coded ASD off first chance I got so I don’t know if a new amp would change anything. I think it’s separate from the AMP so if I coded it back on, I’m pretty sure it will still work.

I coded it back on and it still works with the Revenant. After a few minutes I was so annoyed. Coded it back off.

Last edited by chowser51; 09-17-2019 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Still works
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carseatdelete View Post
Hi All, new to forum and bimmer ownership. Just bought 2015 F31 328i xdrive. Want to upgrade to bimmertech or bavsound or match UP7 bmw plug'n'play amp. I'm confused about ASD with these amps. Bavsound website makes no mention of ASD. bimmertech website says I need to purchase an ASD cancelling harness to install with their amp. Can anyone clarify which of these amps need an extra ASD cancelling harness? Thanks.
Attached photo shows an example of a plugin harness that eliminates ASD, or it can be turned off through coding, although some people have expressed difficulty in coding it out. Read threads and decide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I don't believe any of these amps will cancel the ASD. To cancel, you can either purchase the physical harness mentioned above, or code it off. I coded mine off, without issue. However, I believe some have complained of a hissing noise through the coding option.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
carseatdelete
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 xdrive

many thanks to @eleven11 @johnung @chowser51

update: I bought and installed the MATCH UP 7BMW. Fired up the stereo with default presets- unimpressive / marginal improvement. Immediately loaded F31 specific profile from Audiotec Fischer website - huge improvement. Absolutely lit up the stereo and I'm very happy with it. Considering the plug-and-play install in a complex OEM stereo- definitely worth the $1000 CAN price.

with regard to ASD: noticed it when flooring it in "Sport" mode. Not a big deal. May buy cancelling harness in future, but no rush.
Appreciate 0