F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > tire suggestions
proTUNING Freaks

08-31-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

tire suggestions

hi all, bought my f30 out of it's lease as I preferred it to current offers, and I just love it.

in April I replaced the continental contisportpro 5 ssr tires with Pirelli p7 all season tires, to be honest, I just let the people at the dealership tell me what tires to replace as I burnt through my original tires far too quickly.

I realize how stupid this is as a massive F1 fan, tires are everything.

What I want to know is it worth it to move away from run flats? I've heard the suspension is designed for them? And does running a spare mess with the weight distribution?

And if so, what's a good tire to get a sporty feeling back without being over kill for a moderately powered car (330i)

Thank you for your time and help!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
hi all, bought my f30 out of it's lease as I preferred it to current offers, and I just love it.

in April I replaced the continental contisportpro 5 ssr tires with Pirelli p7 all season tires, to be honest, I just let the people at the dealership tell me what tires to replace as I burnt through my original tires far too quickly.

I realize how stupid this is as a massive F1 fan, tires are everything.

What I want to know is it worth it to move away from run flats? I've heard the suspension is designed for them? And does running a spare mess with the weight distribution?

And if so, what's a good tire to get a sporty feeling back without being over kill for a moderately powered car (330i)

Thank you for your time and help!
Very much so! Coming from my run flat cinturato's on 17's the ride was fine cause there wasn't any feeling lol. Tires soaked it all up, it looked like more tire than wheel!

Feeling is very important to me as I want my car to give as much back to me as I can from an electronic steering feel, which is tough to do, so anything to improve that is a must.

Switched from 393's to 624's. Exact tire specs were square 225/50/17 to square 255/35/20. TECHNICALLY too large, but it's only the slightest rub on full lock so not much to mind, and it has been doing wonders as I hit the 1 year mark in November.

Really any brand that's reputable will be a better option in regards to normal goflats. I'm on Continental dws06 non-plus and absolutely love them, many people think they get a little loud at times or not enough grip compared to the Michelin a/s 3+ and now 4's but for my driving style it's great-especially in regards to lifetime

Considerations should be:
1. Where do you live? will you need all seasons or summers a better choice
2. Availability? Sometimes sizing isn't great depending on your location
3. Price range? Summers are not only more expensive but less tread wear, so will not last as long and will be replaced more often
4. Sizing? Since you're sticking with the same wheels (at least for now) maybe consider going slightly wider, an extra 10 mm will increase rolling diameter just a tad but will add more contact patch and better grip

Ask away if there's anything i missed!
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
Very much so! Coming from my run flat cinturato's on 17's the ride was fine cause there wasn't any feeling lol. Tires soaked it all up, it looked like more tire than wheel!

Feeling is very important to me as I want my car to give as much back to me as I can from an electronic steering feel, which is tough to do, so anything to improve that is a must.

Switched from 393's to 624's. Exact tire specs were square 225/50/17 to square 255/35/20. TECHNICALLY too large, but it's only the slightest rub on full lock so not much to mind, and it has been doing wonders as I hit the 1 year mark in November.

Really any brand that's reputable will be a better option in regards to normal goflats. I'm on Continental dws06 non-plus and absolutely love them, many people think they get a little loud at times or not enough grip compared to the Michelin a/s 3+ and now 4's but for my driving style it's great-especially in regards to lifetime

3. Price range? Summers are not only more expensive but less tread wear, so will not last as long and will be replaced more often
4. Sizing? Since you're sticking with the same wheels (at least for now) maybe consider going slightly wider, an extra 10 mm will increase rolling diameter just a tad but will add more contact patch and better grip

Thank you! Yes, I regretted the P7's as I feels so much less, like you I prefer to feel it.

1. I live in Los Angeles, while I take the occasional road trip, I can't imagine I need all seasons, especially after driving on them.
2. Would have to check, it seems like there are a good amount of tires available, and if not I can always order on tire rack.
3.Prefer to spend less than a 1,000 on a set of four
4. Sticking with the stock wheels for now, 225/50 17 I believe. May upgrade wheels later.

Thank you for your time
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! Yes, I regretted the P7's as I feels so much less, like you I prefer to feel it.

1. I live in Los Angeles, while I take the occasional road trip, I can't imagine I need all seasons, especially after driving on them.
2. Would have to check, it seems like there are a good amount of tires available, and if not I can always order on tire rack.
3.Prefer to spend less than a 1,000 on a set of four
4. Sticking with the stock wheels for now, 225/50 17 I believe. May upgrade wheels later.

Thank you for your time
Good to hear. The conti's I'm on now are a great choice, last time I check I think it was 160 a tire for that sizing? So definitely within budget.

Anything more "ultra-as" or summer will feel great grip wise but i think it'll just be tough getting more feeling without going down in aspect ratio. Which is just because there's more tire meat lol
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Chiming in, I have a 2015 435i xDrive which came with 18" wheels and 225 Pirelli P7 tires (square). The dealer has JUST replaced them when I bought the car so I just ran them until they needed replacing. Went with Michelin PS4S, 245 square.

Immediately noticed a huge difference in noise, comfort, and obviously performance. Personally, I don't run a spare. As much of an inconvenience as it may be, I don't think it's worth the trunk space. I carry a set of plugs and a pump that connects to the 12V lighter, and if worse comes worst, I have a few hundred miles of towing through AAA anyway.

Run-flats are only good for like 80 or 100 miles anyway, so if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere, you're out of luck anyway and need a tow.

I'm in the PNW and run the PS4S year round without an issue. I imagine you would definitely be able to run an UHP summer tire in LA year round w/o issue. I spent just a bit over $1100 IIRC for a complete set. Given that you'd be running a smaller size, that would probably put you just under your $1000 limit. Not to mention Michelin often times has a $150 mail in rebate.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #6
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear. The conti's I'm on now are a great choice, last time I check I think it was 160 a tire for that sizing? So definitely within budget.

Anything more "ultra-as" or summer will feel great grip wise but i think it'll just be tough getting more feeling without going down in aspect ratio. Which is just because there's more tire meat lol
is going down is aspect ratio related to wheel size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Chiming in, I have a 2015 435i xDrive which came with 18" wheels and 225 Pirelli P7 tires (square). The dealer has JUST replaced them when I bought the car so I just ran them until they needed replacing. Went with Michelin PS4S, 245 square.

Immediately noticed a huge difference in noise, comfort, and obviously performance. Personally, I don't run a spare. As much of an inconvenience as it may be, I don't think it's worth the trunk space. I carry a set of plugs and a pump that connects to the 12V lighter, and if worse comes worst, I have a few hundred miles of towing through AAA anyway.

Run-flats are only good for like 80 or 100 miles anyway, so if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere, you're out of luck anyway and need a tow.

I'm in the PNW and run the PS4S year round without an issue. I imagine you would definitely be able to run an UHP summer tire in LA year round w/o issue. I spent just a bit over $1100 IIRC for a complete set. Given that you'd be running a smaller size, that would probably put you just under your $1000 limit. Not to mention Michelin often times has a $150 mail in rebate.
I have triple A but I think I would worry too much to not have a spare. Also no wife or kids so I don't need much trunk room-- just my hiking shoes and a beach towel.

I'll look into them, I've heard nothing but praise but might be overkill for my car?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Going down in aspect ratio means less tire to wheel ratio. think prius wheels have high aspect ratio, while those trucks with giant ass wheels have low profile, or thin tires.

To explain it more technically, aspect ratio is a ratio, between the sidewall and tire width.

Here is tire rack's explanation:
"This percentage represents the ratio of the sidewall's section height to the tire's section width. The section height can be calculated by multiplying the section width by the aspect ratio percentage"

I hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

imo, all season in LA are unnecessary. for tire size 225/50/17 these are the summer tires i'd consider...

1)Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, have these now after Conti ECS. if you can afford it, it's worth it.
2)Bridgestone Potenza Sport(New release, looks promising however no data or reviews, so you'd be "taking one for the team" if you try them)
3)Continental Extreme Contact Sport
4)Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

if you rather have an all-season

1)Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4(in stock at costco)
2)Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      09-01-2021, 11:03 PM   #9
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have triple A but I think I would worry too much to not have a spare. Also no wife or kids so I don't need much trunk room-- just my hiking shoes and a beach towel.

I'll look into them, I've heard nothing but praise but might be overkill for my car?
In that case it definitely wouldn't change the weight distribution in any noticeable way. It will move around under braking, accelerating, and turning if not secured in place though.

Personally that's your call but in my opinion I think PS4S are good for any car that is driven spiritedly, regardless of power. That's as high performance I'd go though unless you were taking your car to the track, but then you'd probably want a dedicated set of rims/tires anyway. If you run a square setup too, Michelin guarantees tread life to 30,000 miles (rotating every 5k) which is really good for a UHP tire
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Going down in aspect ratio means less tire to wheel ratio. think prius wheels have high aspect ratio, while those trucks with giant ass wheels have low profile, or thin tires.

To explain it more technically, aspect ratio is a ratio, between the sidewall and tire width.

"This percentage represents the ratio of the sidewall's section height to the tire's section width. The section height can be calculated by multiplying the section width by the aspect ratio percentage"

I hope that helps
It does-- do you have larger wheels? While I like them, and recently drove a loaner with 19 inch wheels, I feel like it's an expense I'd rather wait on, while new tires are something I can do right now. Though I'm planning on getting them around Christmas just to get a little more milage out of these run flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
imo, all season in LA are unnecessary. for tire size 225/50/17 these are the summer tires i'd consider...

1)Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, have these now after Conti ECS. if you can afford it, it's worth it.
2)Bridgestone Potenza Sport(New release, looks promising however no data or reviews, so you'd be "taking one for the team" if you try them)
3)Continental Extreme Contact Sport
4)Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

if you rather have an all-season

1)Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4(in stock at costco)
2)Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus
Thanks for the list, seems like PS4S and ECS are up my alley

Quote:
In that case it definitely wouldn't change the weight distribution in any noticeable way. It will move around under braking, accelerating, and turning if not secured in place though.

Personally that's your call but in my opinion I think PS4S are good for any car that is driven spiritedly, regardless of power. That's as high performance I'd go though unless you were taking your car to the track, but then you'd probably want a dedicated set of rims/tires anyway. If you run a square setup too, Michelin guarantees tread life to 30,000 miles (rotating every 5k) which is really good for a UHP tire
You mean the spare tire won't change weight distribution? Also trying to find a space saver spare.

Heavily considering PS4S. Thank you all for your time and help!
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #11
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=chickennuggets;27991176]
Quote:

I hope that helps
It does-- do you have larger wheels? While I like them, and recently drove a loaner with 19 inch wheels, I feel like it's an expense I'd rather wait on, while new tires are something I can do right now. Though I'm planning on getting them around Christmas just to get a little more milage out of these run flats

Yeah, 20's lol. Texas ain't bad and I really enjoy riding on them. I wish I got the 19's not because of rude quality but availability of tires. 19's are usually cheaper than 20's but my set is quite uncommon, at least in my area.
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=djacinto;27991201]
Quote:

Yeah, 20's lol. Texas ain't bad and I really enjoy riding on them. I wish I got the 19's not because of rude quality but availability of tires. 19's are usually cheaper than 20's but my set is quite uncommon, at least in my area.
Oh cool! I'll think about this. What part of Texas are you in?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #13
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=chickennuggets;27991287]
Quote:
Quote:

Oh cool! I'll think about this. What part of Texas are you in?
Central, in the capital!
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #14
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You mean the spare tire won't change weight distribution? Also trying to find a space saver spare.

Heavily considering PS4S. Thank you all for your time and help!
Right. A spare wheel, even a full sized rim/tire, isn't going to have any effect.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Right. A spare wheel, even a full sized rim/tire, isn't going to have any effect.
fantastic, I'll have to find a set that isn't up-charged to holy hell. thank you for the help

[QUOTE=djacinto;27991465]
Quote:
Central, in the capital!
nice, I want to visit Austin for the race. Also to be honest, been eyeing outside of California
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #16
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=chickennuggets;27992208]
Quote:
fantastic, I'll have to find a set that isn't up-charged to holy hell. thank you for the help

Quote:
Quote:
Central, in the capital!
nice, I want to visit Austin for the race. Also to be honest, been eyeing outside of California
As are many Californians lol. I'd love to take you to COTA! My girlfriend and I go karting there relatively often. It's a great time
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #17
Desert_F32
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32 440i Xdrive

Quote:

Thanks for the review. The Continentals and Michelins are the two tires I was deciding between! Any experience with the General G-MAX AS-05? Is that more of a budget tire?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 12:47 AM   #18
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Few members on here have rated the General AS-05 excellent bang for the buck. I would call it a mid level brand and model UHP A/S but its not that far from the top shelf. I'd rock them.

Fwiw, Continental owns General and may have a part in design and production, so its good stuff...
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      09-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #19
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Few members on here have rated the General AS-05 excellent bang for the buck. I would call it a mid level brand and model UHP A/S but its not that far from the top shelf. I'd rock them.

Fwiw, Continental owns General and may have a part in design and production, so its good stuff...
I have the General AS-05 on my e90. Handling and ride quality is similar to the prior Continental DW-06.

On my F36, I have the Michelin AS-03 (obsolete, replaced by AS-04). Of all tires I used, I think these are the best
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #20
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_F32 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the review. The Continentals and Michelins are the two tires I was deciding between! Any experience with the General G-MAX AS-05? Is that more of a budget tire?
Apologies for the late response! I saw the notification and just never replied

As for experience on general, short answer: no. I only have experience on the pirelli cinturato, p zero, and conti dws 06

I was actually very surprised at the noise level and comfort of the p zero's, however, knowing they only last ~15-20k for most people is way to short a life span for myself, and along with that hefty Italian price tag, is a no for me.

The conti's find an awesome middle ground with no compromises for my needs and I really see the grip and feedback as satisfactory for the time being. Of course I always want more for less money, but who doesn't

Regardless, most tires in this segment nowadays, especially in the US, have a great baseline, whether a budget friendly General or top segment Michelin-there's no real bad choices!

Just going to go flats is the first suggestion XD
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #21
DONofCON
Rep
Drives: f32

Quote:

Im in the PNW as well and thought I would need a set of all seasons? Are you really able to get away with the PS4S? What do you do when it drops below freezing in december/january?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #22
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONofCON View Post
Im in the PNW as well and thought I would need a set of all seasons? Are you really able to get away with the PS4S? What do you do when it drops below freezing in december/january?
Yeah, I haven't had any issue. My car is garaged, so when it does get down to those colder temps the car isn't sitting outside all night, which definitely helps. Other than that, when it is at or below freezing, I just take it easy and let the tires slowly get up to temp.

In the event that it gets really cold or there's snow, chances are I'm not driving anywhere anyway, but we have a couple other cars with AWD and all seasons that get the job done.

If you go to the mountains a lot or plan to drive through the pass though, I wouldn't run PS4S for that
Appreciate 1