F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pure Stage 2 or Stage 1 Turbo for F32
Extreme Powerhouse

07-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
kawi008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport

Pure Stage 2 or Stage 1 Turbo for F32

Hey guys!

Probably a stupid question but if you're willing to help me that's awesome.

1) What kind of power increase can you experience on an N55 setup with the PS2 setup on pump gas 91 octane assuming FBO already on the car, gapped NGK plugs and upgraded coils w/ a JB4? Is this pointless to do/consider?

2) What makes up for such a huge cost difference between the PS1 and PS2 turbo kits for N55? Is it truly worth the price difference and if so, why?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

1) search
2) search. The difference is that ps1 goes in your stock manifold. Ps2 comes with a manifold because they port the stock manifold on the inside, and cold side compressor is larger. Ps1 is minimally larger than an EWG Turbo. Search
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
kawi008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
1) search
2) search. The difference is that ps1 goes in your stock manifold. Ps2 comes with a manifold because they port the stock manifold on the inside, and cold side compressor is larger. Ps1 is minimally larger than an EWG Turbo. Search
Thanks!

Yes I am searching amidst asking...

Looks like you still realize major power gains with the PS2 setup even on pump gas. May be good to explore a better fuel pump setup from what I'm seeing too.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Stage 1 is more of a stock replacement , if you want more power you need the stage 2.

Power depends on the supporting mods, fueling and how aggressive your cutom map is. Its best to discuss power with your tuner direct

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
kawi008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Stage 1 is more of a stock replacement , if you want more power you need the stage 2.

Power depends on the supporting mods, fueling and how aggressive your cutom map is. Its best to discuss power with your tuner direct
Perfect! Thanks for the info! I'm assuming there's no harm aside from decreased power by running pump gas?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi008 View Post
Perfect! Thanks for the info! I'm assuming there's no harm aside from decreased power by running pump gas?
Correct

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Hey guys!

Probably a stupid question but if you're willing to help me that's awesome.

1) What kind of power increase can you experience on an N55 setup with the PS2 setup on pump gas 91 octane assuming FBO already on the car, gapped NGK plugs and upgraded coils w/ a JB4? Is this pointless to do/consider?

2) What makes up for such a huge cost difference between the PS1 and PS2 turbo kits for N55? Is it truly worth the price difference and if so, why?
Please do search. The basic questions you are asking suggest you havent even looked at the manufacturer info for PS1 and PS2 as you will see they are totally different in terms of what you are purchasing. Realistically you will also need a flash, either custom tune or BEF and control things with JB4, to take advantage of a PS2.

If you are serious about going upgraded turbo i suggest you spend 5-10 hours researching, start with pure and their vendor info, then the forums and various threads on PS2 and other turbo upgrades on the market, then come back with specific questions. Right now you are basically taking other people to do your homework for you. In the meantime you also need to fully understand the fuel system on F3x platform and its limitations, and what other mods you might want/need besides "FBO".
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
kawi008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Please do search. The basic questions you are asking suggest you havent even looked at the manufacturer info for PS1 and PS2 as you will see they are totally different in terms of what you are purchasing. Realistically you will also need a flash, either custom tune or BEF and control things with JB4, to take advantage of a PS2.

If you are serious about going upgraded turbo i suggest you spend 5-10 hours researching, start with pure and their vendor info, then the forums and various threads on PS2 and other turbo upgrades on the market, then come back with specific questions. Right now you are basically taking other people to do your homework for you. In the meantime you also need to fully understand the fuel system on F3x platform and its limitations, and what other mods you might want/need besides "FBO".
Appreciate your response Jeremy as I begin my research process, it's always great having such supporting busy folks who will take time to write out a thoughtful response and slap the hands of those seeking insight but lay claim that you're too busy to provide the insight I'm inquiring about.

I have inquired with Pure Turbos directly and am doing my due diligence in collecting the information and research I'm asking about amidst my also very busy life/schedule. So apologies to interrupt your day as no one asked for you to spend your precious time responding here in the manner you chose to do so in.

That being said - Yes it seems that the stage 1 setup is simply an slightly larger version of the stock turbo setup and that if I really want to leverage larger power gains I should pursue the PS2 setup with some accompanying tunes, possible fuel components and still obtain good power on pump gas without majorly sacrificing longevity.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate your response Jeremy as I begin my research process, it's always great having such supporting busy folks who will take time to write out a thoughtful response and slap the hands of those seeking insight but lay claim that you're too busy to provide the insight I'm inquiring about.

I have inquired with Pure Turbos directly and am doing my due diligence in collecting the information and research I'm asking about amidst my also very busy life/schedule. So apologies to interrupt your day as no one asked for you to spend your precious time responding here in the manner you chose to do so in.

That being said - Yes it seems that the stage 1 setup is simply an slightly larger version of the stock turbo setup and that if I really want to leverage larger power gains I should pursue the PS2 setup with some accompanying tunes, possible fuel components and still obtain good power on pump gas without majorly sacrificing longevity.
I am somewhat confused by this post since i feel like you are attacking me a bit for suggest you search first and ask questions later? Anyways, we're all busy, and most of us are here to help. By suggesting to search first we were merely trying to make this as efficient as possible so that this thread is not a duplication of all the other PS2 / how much power can i make with 91 octane / etc threads that are out there. We would rather answer specific questions to your car/setup that just reiterate information that is already available. Yes, I know it is not all in one place and not even necessarily easy to find, but it's there. Then, if there's a question you feel has not been answered that you need input on, certainly post it up and everyone can provide input. That's the nature of the forums and the research required when you are planning a 'build'. I wasn't trying to be mean or attack you in any way, just provide some guidance to get you started.

Back to the 'build', at a fundamental level you should consider the turbo upgrade in the context of other mods you want to make to the car, the fuel you have available (e85?), your budget, goals (street? 1/4 mile? autocross? track day?), etc. If you lay all of that out people will be able to provide more specific advice as to what setup will fit the bill. There are options other than PS2 out there, and other aspects such as fuel available might influence whether you want to go upgrade HPFP or meth, for example.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
kawi008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the further explanation and can understand that, I have just started diggin and have been searching on the forums and "other posts on bimmerpost/bimmerforums ect" to help paint the clearest picture of what folks are doing and experiencing with the PS2 pursuits.

I'll be gathering more info as I go and am aiming to have a fairly reliable, high 400's hp/tq setup on the ohlins r&t I have for occasional autox and possibly future track days as they open up Gem State Raceway here in Idaho. My old N54 was a different experience so learning as I go with the best practices for the N55 setup. Right now I have the following;
- 6.5 FMIC
- CP/Catted DP
- Muffler delete exhuast
- JB4 tuner
- No backend tune yet
- 6spd manual
- Ohlins R&T w/ Millway CP's

Regarding fuel - We have E85 but I've read a lot about it burning components much faster than on 91/93 but I could be misunderstanding it too
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the further explanation and can understand that, I have just started diggin and have been searching on the forums and "other posts on bimmerpost/bimmerforums ect" to help paint the clearest picture of what folks are doing and experiencing with the PS2 pursuits.

I'll be gathering more info as I go and am aiming to have a fairly reliable, high 400's hp/tq setup on the ohlins r&t I have for occasional autox and possibly future track days as they open up Gem State Raceway here in Idaho. My old N54 was a different experience so learning as I go with the best practices for the N55 setup. Right now I have the following;
- 6.5 FMIC
- CP/Catted DP
- Muffler delete exhuast
- JB4 tuner
- No backend tune yet
- 6spd manual
- Ohlins R&T w/ Millway CP's

Regarding fuel - We have E85 but I've read a lot about it burning components much faster than on 91/93 but I could be misunderstanding it too
Mod list is helpful. Right off the bat since you are 6MT you need to plan for a clutch upgrade if you have not already. Several threads discuss SMFW vs DMFW and BMW options like 335is clutch vs. something like a SPEC.

Next step will be determine what fuel you want to run. I have no idea what you mean by 'burning components' but E85 is not a dangerous fuel to run... its typically the preferred fuel in the forced induction aftermarket community for many reasons, one of which being high octane. For our platform running a mix (say, E30-50) is much more common than straight E85 because we are DI, but the idea is the same. If you have E85 available i would highly consider that route, in which case you would need a upgraded HPFP. If you dont go E85 and only have 91 you are most likely going to want to run meth, which adds additional system complexity, although you already have the JB4 to control it. You might be able to get away with stock HPFP on pump gas and mid 400s whp/tq numbers, but pushing to high 400s even with meth is beyond stock HPFP capabilities. So, if you are going to upgrade the HPFP anyways, might as well run a Emix and a custom tune, in which case you can eliminate the JB4 completely.

Aside from that just consider other mods you might want to do with the turbo swap - DV (GFB or turbospart), TIC pipe, and definitely a turbo inlet (I recommend MST).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
So what is the cost of PS2 installed 4k? And then another 2k for a fuel pump. Will it even make 500hp?

Seems better to just start with a different platform.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
So what is the cost of PS2 installed 4k? And then another 2k for a fuel pump. Will it even make 500hp?

Seems better to just start with a different platform.
The 'start with a different platform' argument can pretty much always apply to any car. However, everyone acquires their cars for different reasons, for varying prices, in various conditions, and has a different level of attachment or reason to want to stay on the platform. Some people daily their F3x, other's use it as a weekend warrior, and have different levels of comfort pushing hardware to the limit.

I don't think its unreasonable to want to go to 500hp on this platform, but that's around the upper limit i personally would want to push this car/platform to. If you were chasing say, 700+, then yeah, get a different car to start or plan to build your motor and/or break parts.

But yes, PS2 with supporting mods and tune is proved to make low 500s whp without being on the edge of reliability. People run it for tens of thousands of miles. Yes, you are doing to spend thousands of dollars on parts to go from stock to 500whp, but the total price including the car is not necessarily significantly higher than other platforms when you account for the fact that you still have a blend of performance and luxury. If you just want a cheap, fast straight line car and don't care about that, then you probably shouldn't have bought a BMW to begin with, lol.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #14
kawi008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Talking

Thanks for the insight and yeah I got the car pretty inexpensively, I do like how it's fairly "under the radar" as I attend client meetings it's not an obnoxious "look at my fast car" and I came across the ohlins r&t coils for cheap too so the car is pretty fun just would be interesting to have it up to that 500hp mark for my own entertainment haha...

That being said from what I've found these are the parts I'll need (not including the hpfps) to get where I want to be? Does that look right to you guys?

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insight and yeah I got the car pretty inexpensively, I do like how it's fairly "under the radar" as I attend client meetings it's not an obnoxious "look at my fast car" and I came across the ohlins r&t coils for cheap too so the car is pretty fun just would be interesting to have it up to that 500hp mark for my own entertainment haha...

That being said from what I've found these are the parts I'll need (not including the hpfps) to get where I want to be? Does that look right to you guys?

Core deposit selected doesnt match wastegate type?

Not sure what DV it comes with, but i would consider turbosmart in addition to GFB.

I would also consider the MST v2 inlet over the pure.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #16
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

You will not max out your fuel pump on 91AKI with PS2. Wast of money.
      08-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #17
kawi008
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
You will not max out your fuel pump on 91AKI with PS2. Wast of money.
Where is the best place to buy the PS2 setup online? Do you think I won't need the HPFP setup on 91 or are you suggesting that the PS2 setup is a waste of money if I run 91/93 fuel? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #18
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Where is the best place to buy the PS2 setup online? Do you think I won't need the HPFP setup on 91 or are you suggesting that the PS2 setup is a waste of money if I run 91/93 fuel? Thank you!
You will not run enough boost on 91 to max out stock HPFP. Get the PS2 first.