F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Intermittent Drivetrain Warning
GetBMWParts

04-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #23
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Update: Replaced the egr valve again. My mechanic said codes pointed there even though we had just recently replaced it. Fortunately, it didn't cost me anything as the part was warrantied. We assume the last replacement part was just faulty. So far so good. Will update again if CEL comes back.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #24
5hift
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d M Touring

Just had this code intermittently pop.up.as well, and I just changed the EGR yesterday
We'll see if this is the fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #25
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
I've started having the same issue. BimmerLink reveals the following codes:

255C00 - EGR actuator high pressure, position control; negative deviation
255B00 - EGR actuator high pressure, position control; positive deviation
272F00 - EGR actuator high pressure, position control; mechanically defective near open
272E00 - EGR actuator high pressure, position control; mechanically defective near closed
282B00 - EGR rate control, system deviation: EGR rate too low, positive control deviation

I'm going to attempt to first clean the existing EGR valve, which I realize may not do anything really. Then I will replace with the Wahler unit I found recently.
      05-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #26
valdez
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

I used to have this error some time ago, replaced with aftermarket EGR, but then got less performance and check engine light popping up. Installing oem EGR valve solved this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #27
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdrums1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
There are no signs of having anything to do with the turbo, I'd stay away from that mechanic.

Generic P code scanners are mediocre at best at identifying specific problems, but the best guess is a dirty or failed egr valve. It's a fairly easy repair.
Thanks for the reply. He looked at my engine and saw carbon leaking by the turbo and assumed that was the problem, he didn't run a code. We were doing basic service and he noticed it.

I mentioned the code that I ran above and he said it was probably an EGR valve that would cause the engine to give me that warning. He's legit, friend at work that runs his biz on the side.

Being that I'm at over 120,000 miles, wouldn't I need to replace the turbo anyway? Hopefully its just the valve, but the emissions inspection service warning is on, and has been on prior to the drivetrain error
You don't need to replace the turbo. The mechanic you were working with likely has had experience with the old VW TDIs. The ALH motor had common issues with them going into limp mode. When that happened dealers and many shops would say you need to replace the turbo. It would go into limp mode due to over boost. Would freak out the ECU. All you really needed to do was replace the actuator on the VNT turbo which was not a separately sold part except aftermarket.

Source: currently own a heavily modified 2001 ALH

That being said, that has nothing to do with you car. Just some comments

With your bmw, sounds like you have a sticky egr. Clean it or replace it. Careful cleaning it, you don't want to get any particulates in the manifold. Replacing it requires replacing coolant or clamping the lines.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #28
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
CEL came back today. This time it's persistent and I have three codes instead of one. No idea why the valve keeps failing after being replaced. Any ideas?
Attached Images

06-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #29
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

What modifications does the car have, if any?
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #30
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
What modifications does the car have, if any?
Msport steering wheel retrofit and some simple bimmercode codings. Engine and DME are 100% stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #31
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: my Indy mechanic said the EGR cooler took a crap. Luckily it's warrantied 100k miles. Off to bmw.
      06-09-2021, 01:39 PM   #32
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Interesting. Were you losing any coolant?

I wonder how common this really is, and whether or not it also affects F25 chassis.
      06-09-2021, 01:50 PM   #33
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post

I wonder how common this really is, and whether or not it also affects F25 chassis.
The EGR cooler recall included F25 as well. My father's X3 28d has been seen for it.

But I suppose there is a difference whether it's pre-LCI or LCI.
Others:
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #34
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No coolant loss to my knowledge, just repeated valve failure. My mechanic said the EGR cooler is faulty on my car and is making the plunger on the EGR valve stick which is why the valves keep failing after being replaced.
      06-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #35
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
No coolant loss to my knowledge, just repeated valve failure. My mechanic said the EGR cooler is faulty on my car and is making the plunger on the EGR valve stick which is why the valves keep failing after being replaced.
I wonder if he used a borescope on it? That would be cool to see, if you can get it here.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #36
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Quote:
So if a faulty cooler is damaging the valve itself, causing it to stick, then it's not the soot buildup on the valve that's the problem... Seems counterintuitive that the cooler could trash the valve repeatedly, yet one only gets valve trouble codes.

I'm really curious what damage the cooler has that could cause the valve to go bad as well.
      06-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #37
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So if a faulty cooler is damaging the valve itself, causing it to stick, then it's not the soot buildup on the valve that's the problem... Seems counterintuitive that the cooler could trash the valve repeatedly, yet one only gets valve trouble codes.

I'm really curious what damage the cooler has that could cause the valve to go bad as well.
I'm curious as well. Will update in 2 weeks (needed a loaner) after bmw takes a stab at it.
      06-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #38
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm curious as well. Will update in 2 weeks (needed a loaner) after bmw takes a stab at it.
I'm having the same issue. I brought mine to the dealer for drivetrain malfunction warning. I scanned with OBD reader and got P049D. Told this to service but they said it's unlikely. So they replaced the transfer case, cv joint, flex disc, transmission bearing all for free. Mine has 105k miles. Picked it up 3 days ago and warning came on again today. Same P code. I've thought it's needed an egr all along. There was no signs it needed a transfer case. I was very surprised they did that. Will call them tomorrow and see if that's also covered under warranty. If not I'll replace it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:31 PM   #39
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
I'm having the same issue. I brought mine to the dealer for drivetrain malfunction warning. I scanned with OBD reader and got P049D. Told this to service but they said it's unlikely. So they replaced the transfer case, cv joint, flex disc, transmission bearing all for free. Mine has 105k miles. Picked it up 3 days ago and warning came on again today. Same P code. I've thought it's needed an egr all along. There was no signs it needed a transfer case. I was very surprised they did that. Will call them tomorrow and see if that's also covered under warranty. If not I'll replace it myself.
I think the egr cooler is warrantied but the egr valve isn't, so depending on the codes they may or may not charge. I'm really hoping it's the cooler since I'm on valve #3 and still getting codes. Problem is bmw weren't the ones doing my labor for me so me telling them what my mechanic said may not hold any weight and I may get stuck with a 4th valve and be paying for it. Fortunately if it fails again I'm pretty sure they'd stop charging me and dig deeper and find the cooler is to blame. At least that's what I'd hope. Ah, the joys of out of warranty bmw ownership.
      06-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #40
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think the egr cooler is warrantied but the egr valve isn't, so depending on the codes they may or may not charge. I'm really hoping it's the cooler since I'm on valve #3 and still getting codes. Problem is bmw weren't the ones doing my labor for me so me telling them what my mechanic said may not hold any weight and I may get stuck with a 4th valve and be paying for it. Fortunately if it fails again I'm pretty sure they'd stop charging me and dig deeper and find the cooler is to blame. At least that's what I'd hope. Ah, the joys of out of warranty bmw ownership.
To save $$$ sometimes I buy the parts from getbmwparts and bring them in so I just labor. No mark up on parts.

I wonder if you manifold is all sooted up causing restricted airflow. That used to be common problem in the ALH VW TDIs which I'm more familiar with. You should get a flex telescoping camera to see for yourself. I think it's called a boroscope. Harbor freight sells a cheap one
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #41
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To save $$$ sometimes I buy the parts from getbmwparts and bring them in so I just labor. No mark up on parts.

I wonder if you manifold is all sooted up causing restricted airflow. That used to be common problem in the ALH VW TDIs which I'm more familiar with. You should get a flex telescoping camera to see for yourself. I think it's called a boroscope. Harbor freight sells a cheap one
Does anyone have a link to the recall notice?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #42
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Assuming the issue is egr valve or cooler…. Can anyone confirm if an EGR delete or an egr block off plate will resolve the issue?

Alternatively, if I went with a tune which disabled the EGR system instead of the Kerma tune, would that resolve the issue as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #43
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V755-1757.pdf

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1580182
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #44
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 0