F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 Blown, timing chain fault, and new motor
GetBMWParts

03-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

N26 Blown, timing chain fault, and new motor

After 2 weeks, my N26 328i is finally back in my garage. I was driving to work, approaching a light and coming to a stop when it sounded like a machine gun went off in my engine bay. I came to a stop and turned off the motor immediately. Oil was everywhere.

Towing a BMW that won't turn over is a big problem. For the automatic transmissions, it's not possible to put the car in neutral if the car isn't turned on. The only way to do it is by removing the under tray and hitting the switch from underneath the car. Given the circumstances of the location and limited tools, the car was forced to be towed on a wheel dolly. Flat bed was not an option.

Car stayed at the dealership for a few days and finally got a call back from the service advisor telling me that the cause was the faulty timing chain tensioner. BMW replaced the timing chain components for the N20/N26 in 01/2015. My build date was 05/2014. I'm surprised that this is just an updated service bulletin rather than a recall.

Here's what my invoice stated:
Confirmed engine no crank , no start. Connected battery charger. Performed vehicle test. Attempted to turn crankshaft by hand tool, confirmed crankshaft is seized and unable to turn freely. Submitted TC Case #xxxxxx and was instructed to remove valve over to found metal debris in the valve train with broken parts. Sent additional information back to TC. TC Case instructed to remove engine oil pan to further inspect. Supported engine, released undercarriage. Removed oil pan and inspect, found timing chain and chain guide came apart causing subsequent damage to the lower part of the engine, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, engine block, oil pan, and caused engine to seize.

The short block was completely replaced. I did some calculations of all the parts and it came out to about $12,000 before labor. My invoice didn't state any pricing, probably because it was all under warranty. Anyway, I wasn't upset about this situation. Instead, I'm happier to be a BMW customer today than before the incident. Great customer service and care.

TL;DR Motor blew, timing chain explosion was the cause, and BMW replaced the motor.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle
After 2 weeks, my N26 328i is finally back in my garage. I was driving to work, approaching a light and coming to a stop when it sounded like a machine gun went off in my engine bay. I came to a stop and turned off the motor immediately. Oil was everywhere.

Towing a BMW that won't turn over is a big problem. For the automatic transmissions, it's not possible to put the car in neutral if the car isn't turned on. The only way to do it is by removing the under tray and hitting the switch from underneath the car. Given the circumstances of the location and limited tools, the car was forced to be towed on a wheel dolly. Flat bed was not an option.

Car stayed at the dealership for a few days and finally got a call back from the service advisor telling me that the cause was the faulty timing chain tensioner. BMW replaced the timing chain components for the N20/N26 in 01/2015. My build date was 05/2014. I'm surprised that this is just an updated service bulletin rather than a recall.

Confirmed engine no crank , no start. Connected battery charger. Performed vehicle test. Attempted to turn crankshaft by hand tool, confirmed crankshaft is seized and unable to turn freely. Submitted TC Case #xxxxxx and was instructed to remove valve over to found metal debris in the valve train with broken parts. Sent additional information back to TC. TC Case instructed to remove engine oil pan to further inspect. Supported engine, released undercarriage. Removed oil pan and inspect, found timing chain and chain guide came apart causing subsequent damage to the lower part of the engine, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, engine block, oil pan, and caused engine to seize.

The short block was completely replaced. I did some calculations of all the parts and it came out to about $12,000 before labor. My invoice didn't state any pricing, probably because it was all under warranty. Anyway, I wasn't upset about this situation. Instead, I'm happier to be a BMW customer today than before the incident. Great customer service and care.

TL;DR Motor blew, timing chain explosion was the cause, and BMW replaced the motor.
Glad this all worked out! Serious bummer.

My f31 has a build date of 10/2014, surprised I haven't heard of this earlier.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
wolves
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Just to clarify, you were only covered because you were still under warranty? That's a huge repair if not covered :0 Glad things were sorted!
2014 BMW F30 328i - Base line 8AT, Alpine White, metallic black roof, Megan Racing CF decklid, CF canards, CF eyelids, CF rear diffuser, matte black kidney grills, gunsmoke tail lights/reflectors, VMR 721 Hyper Silver 19x9.5/19.x8.5, 5mm spacers all around, Bilstein B8s, Injen CAI, H&R Sport Springs, muffler-deleted quad pipe, 20% 3M rear tint, M Performance Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #4
DG20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Glad you got your car back man!
      03-14-2016, 03:41 AM   #5
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post

Hiya, were you running any mods?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by handle View Post

This is a simple DIY project.

I went to Home Depot to purchase some chain and just shorted it up so it would fit.

Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
CatDaddyJones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i Coupe Black on Black

My check engine light came on after less than 24 hours. I feel your pain! BMW has been great so far. Car has been in the shop a week. They gave me a 16 535d as a loaner. Sad to say but I miss my 428i. The 535 has a nice ride but seems slower. I am getting 40mpg so that has been the upside
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #8
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Does this mean my 4/2014 build N20 228 should get looked at?
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

That motor is gonna cause a fortune if not under warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Glad you were covered

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #11
CharlieVu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i x-drive Melbourn RED

Anyway I can upgrade my chain myself? I have a n26 made in 09/2013. I am 900 miles outside of the 50k warranty. I don't want to pay 12k in repairs. Please help me!
      03-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVu
Anyway I can upgrade my chain myself? I have a n26 made in 09/2013. I am 900 miles outside of the 50k warranty. I don't want to pay 12k in repairs. Please help me!
I'm sure if it blows, BMW will have to cover it. Also changing it yourself might be very difficult.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #13
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Does this mean my 4/2014 build N20 228 should get looked at?
Maybe have it looked at. Tell them it's ticking or something..since it falls inside the time frame..what could it hurt to have it checked out and replaced for free if necessary?
      03-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
CharlieVu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i x-drive Melbourn RED

I'll be honest, I'm not really familiar with these parts. Wouldn't do me any good to bring it in and have someone to look at it.

I wouldn't do it myself, would have my mechanic friend do it. I was going to extend the warranty to 90k but BMW wanted $5300 cash up front. I just bought a house so i can't really do anything to affect my DTI
      04-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #15
vader1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Ok, I will not pretend to be any kind of mechanical genius, but if the crank seized during operation I can see how this might damage the chain guide/tensioner,chain, but I do not see how if the timing chain components were to fail that it would cause the crank to seize.

In my somewhat basic understanding of an engine, if the timing chain fails on an interference engine, the pistons can mess up the valvetrain and bend or break valves, but this should not lock up the rotating crank assemble and pistons.

But if the crank were to seize because of a spun bearing or oil starvation, that could cause the chain/guide to break.

And again, not an expert, but if people were worried about their chain guides and chains all of a sudden, it might not be warranted unless you are hearing odd noises from the chain cover. I would venture a guess that the problem originated somewhere else and the chain breaking was a byproduct.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #16
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
According to my tech, BMW is going to warranty these as long as you are current on your oil changes even if your car is outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
Getzy2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

I wish that was the case. Just bought a 2013 328xi and had the motor blow at 54k. Dealership price would've been 13k. I had my mechanic do it for 7. Said the timing belt tensioner malfunction causing internal failure
Appreciate 0