F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > if my cat goes out, would it mean that it's now catlessDP?
ARMA SPEED

05-23-2020, 03:22 AM   #1
ty666
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi

if my cat goes out, would it mean that it's now catlessDP?

I have a fabspeed high flow DP on my N55 witha stage 2 BM3 aggressive, i recently increases the burble tune to the max setting and have been doing a lot of downshifting, pops and bangs, after heavy acceleration and downshifts, i smell a burning smell (not oil) and today i got an engine light. I haven't scanned it yet, but I'm assuming my high flow cat is dying. I don't really care much about it anymore as emissions tests are no longer required where I live.
Question is if my high flow dp goes out, does that mean that it's catless now? is there any disadvantage for having a damaged catted dp other than the check engine light?
Dinan Stage2 | Fabspeed High Flow DP | Dinan Carbn Air Intake | Remus Exhaust | H&R Sport Springs | 19" Savini Wheels | Continental ExtremeContact Sport Plus | Rear Diffusr | M4 Carbn Mirror Caps | Smoked Sequential Mirror Signls | Lip Spoiler | **PREVIOUS VEHICLE: 2013 BMW F30**
**INSTAGRAM: aphotic_f32 **
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 03:48 AM   #2
VictorF32
VictorNM
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 435i Msport

I have a 435i and have had a VRSF Catless down pipe for 6 months ZERO issues keeping the MHD catted/oem box unchecked and hiding the cel. Don't quote me but maybe the backfiring or burble tune is literally melting the honeycomb (filter) inside the cat? And pieces of the honeycomb or the filter are coming out the back little by little because of increased heat and pressure from the tune? I've seen a video of a 3 series revving and pieces of the cat flying out of the exhaust. Running pump gas or e85 maybe the issue?
Just trying to help, hope your able to diagnose and fix that notorious Check engine light, it is a daily struggle.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 04:30 AM   #3
ty666
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorF32 View Post
I have a 435i and have had a VRSF Catless down pipe for 6 months ZERO issues keeping the MHD catted/oem box unchecked and hiding the cel. Don't quote me but maybe the backfiring or burble tune is literally melting the honeycomb (filter) inside the cat? And pieces of the honeycomb or the filter are coming out the back little by little because of increased heat and pressure from the tune? I've seen a video of a 3 series revving and pieces of the cat flying out of the exhaust. Running pump gas or e85 maybe the issue?
Just trying to help, hope your able to diagnose and fix that notorious Check engine light, it is a daily struggle.

Thanks, but i couldn't watch that video till the end, wtf is that guy doing? I'm sure that car is stolen. lol
Dinan Stage2 | Fabspeed High Flow DP | Dinan Carbn Air Intake | Remus Exhaust | H&R Sport Springs | 19" Savini Wheels | Continental ExtremeContact Sport Plus | Rear Diffusr | M4 Carbn Mirror Caps | Smoked Sequential Mirror Signls | Lip Spoiler | **PREVIOUS VEHICLE: 2013 BMW F30**
**INSTAGRAM: aphotic_f32 **
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-23-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Check the CEL before hypothesizing it's the cat.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

it's possible that the excessive "snap, crackle, pop" from max burble tune damaged your catalyst. fabspeed uses metal catalysts which are stronger but you can kill anything with enough effort. if it is damaged you aren't really catless until the catalyst has been burned out or completely removed. if it is partially there the flow is likely worsened.

if it's partially there you need to remove the rest of it. if it's not damaged i suggest you sell it and get a catless downpipe. it's what you should have done prior to going max burble. you can get decent money for a used fabspeed if the catalyst is good, of course.

here is a thread about a melted catalyst...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...atalyst+melted
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty666 View Post
I have a fabspeed high flow DP on my N55 witha stage 2 BM3 aggressive, i recently increases the burble tune to the max setting and have been doing a lot of downshifting, pops and bangs, after heavy acceleration and downshifts, i smell a burning smell (not oil) and today i got an engine light. I haven't scanned it yet, but I'm assuming my high flow cat is dying. I don't really care much about it anymore as emissions tests are no longer required where I live.
Question is if my high flow dp goes out, does that mean that it's catless now? is there any disadvantage for having a damaged catted dp other than the check engine light?
Hello,I have a question. Would someone on this forum kindly explain why so many BMW owners apparently don’t care about the air they breath,but really care about how much noise their car makes? I really don’t understand it. Especially not caring about the air.
Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 03:18 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorF32 View Post

Thanks, but i couldn't watch that video till the end, wtf is that guy doing? I'm sure that car is stolen. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Hello,I have a question. Would someone on this forum kindly explain why so many BMW owners apparently don’t care about the air they breath,but really care about how much noise their car makes? I really don’t understand it. Especially not caring about the air.
Thanks.

I got stock dp. I care about the planet, I recycle and keep my garbage off the street. Just leave my car out of it if I ever go catless.
Appreciate 0