F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Tire Pressure Monitoring
ARMA SPEED

05-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
syelenik@comcast.net
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Tire Pressure Monitoring

2015 F30 328i I have done a bunch of esys programming and I wonder if the following situation can be re-coded to change parameters? I have programmed Sport Plus mode enabled and that is working fine. When I am at the track, if I lower tire pressures below a certain point (for example <= 28 psi)the TPMS set offs an alarm to check tire pressures and moves the car out of Sport Plus and won't allow re-enabling Sport Plus. This is not ideal as at the track I need Sport Plus and at times lower tire pressures at the same time.

Anyone know if I can lower the psi threshold in Esys to not alarm at ~ 28psi to something like 24psi?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by syelenik@comcast.net View Post
2015 F30 328i I have done a bunch of esys programming and I wonder if the following situation can be re-coded to change parameters? I have programmed Sport Plus mode enabled and that is working fine. When I am at the track, if I lower tire pressures below a certain point (for example <= 28 psi)the TPMS set offs an alarm to check tire pressures and moves the car out of Sport Plus and won't allow re-enabling Sport Plus. This is not ideal as at the track I need Sport Plus and at times lower tire pressures at the same time.

Anyone know if I can lower the psi threshold in Esys to not alarm at ~ 28psi to something like 24psi?
Why don't you use the system correctly, and reset the TP system each time you change the pressures? Changing the warning levels is probably not possible, nor does it make any sense, as it defeats the object of the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
syelenik@comcast.net
Rep

Thank you for your response. You dont understand what I need. Resetting tpms will do nothing to stop the warning. Perhaps you haven't been to the track. Sometimes we set tire pressures low when cold on purpose because at the track tire pressures warm up significantly. The purpose is not street pressure it's to maximiz handling when tire pressures warm up.the current system is designed as intended... your words...for the street. So that said anyone else with knowledge and better insight?

Last edited by syelenik@comcast.net; 05-17-2019 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Thank you for your response. You clearly dont understand what I need. Resetting tpms will do nothing to stop the warning. Perhaps you haven't been to the track. Sometimes we set tire pressures low when cold on purpose because at the track tire pressures warm up significantly. The purpose is not street pressure it's to maximiz handling when tire pressures warm up.the current system is designed as intended... your words...for the street. So that said anyone else with knowledge and better insight?
So it appears that reducing the pressure below a defined minimum (somewhere below 30) will cause a warning, irrespective of resetting the system. OK, so I have no idea. Perhaps if you'd been a bit more informative initially, then street-only drivers like me wouldn't have wasted our time.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Maybe not an ideal solution but a workaround?

Have a separate setup for the track with no TPMS sensors in the wheels. Put the four sensors in a pressurized container set at 35psi and stick it in the trunk?

also look here: I didn't read everything
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1214970&page=2
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Resetting tpms will do nothing to stop the warning.
Yes, it will. I know from experience. For whatever reason my car came through with the initial setting at 34 PSI or so, so I was surprised when one cold February morning I got a warning when at 30 PSI even though my door frame pressure says 32. After filling the tires to 32 PSI I did a reset, end of problem. It's a PITA but if you need to run at lower than normal pressure you need to do a reset. But let's say you fill the tires to 30PSI and do a reset. You won't get an alarm and so forth unless they go down to 26PSI or so, and if after the track session you take them back up to 34 PSI you're not going to get an over-pressure alarm.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:
Yes, it will. I know from experience. For whatever reason my car came through with the initial setting at 34 PSI or so, so I was surprised when one cold February morning I got a warning when at 30 PSI even though my door frame pressure says 32. After filling the tires to 32 PSI I did a reset, end of problem. It's a PITA but if you need to run at lower than normal pressure you need to do a reset. But let's say you fill the tires to 30PSI and do a reset. You won't get an alarm and so forth unless they go down to 26PSI or so, and if after the track session you take them back up to 34 PSI you're not going to get an over-pressure alarm.
This is how I thought it worked too.

The reset just tells the car that "x" is the normal pressure and if it drops 30% from this value then the alarms go off.

If this still does not work then a workaround would be to just use esys to change tyre pressure monitoring from TPMS to RPA.

This will monitor rolling radius only so the reset should work as it's based on rolling radius reference rather than absolute numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
syelenik@comcast.net
Rep

Thanks gentlemen

Thanks guys. Now I have a few options and I very much appreciate it. I will try resetting tpms with tires set at 30 or 28 and see if that resolves the issue. Normal on the lable for this car is 30/35 or something like that and I need to go out on a warm day cold pre track at about 26 to 28. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Bill, my question:
Model Year 2017 440i Convertible (F33); tire pressure on door placard/manual says 36front/41rear. These are pressures at "warm", I.e., after car sits in garage overnight.
With this setting, when I take a relatively long trip (2-4hours) my tire pressures will increase to something like 40front/44rear. My concern is that if I remain at these higher pressures for a couple of hours, will this be a problem as far as tire wear goes. Bill, anyone, comments??
Thanks
Luckstr
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You mean those are cold pressures on the door frame. The increase in pressure as the tires warm up is normal, and is taken into consideration in the cold pressure recommendation. The problem most drivers have is that they don't have a compressor at home to fill the tires when they're cold, so they fill them after driving to a service station, and unless that station is a block from their home they're filling them while warm. To take that into account they should add a couple of pounds to the door frame number.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You mean those are cold pressures on the door frame. The increase in pressure as the tires warm up is normal, and is taken into consideration in the cold pressure recommendation. The problem most drivers have is that they don't have a compressor at home to fill the tires when they're cold, so they fill them after driving to a service station, and unless that station is a block from their home they're filling them while warm. To take that into account they should add a couple of pounds to the door frame number.
Yes, sorry, I meant "cold". Thanks for the quick response. Also, I do indeed have a compressor and I check tire pressures on a weekly basis before I begin the day. Once again, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #12
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Have you tried resetting the TPM when the tires get warm? Would the few extra PSI take it above the warning level?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That would have the opposite of the desired effect. The warning goes off when the OP deflates the tires to compensate for the abnormal pressure increase that happens with the high tire and brake/rotor temperatures on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #14
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Have you tried resetting the TPM when the tires get warm? Would the few extra PSI take it above the warning level?
No, haven't tried that. But, I don't think resetting when tire pressures are at 39front/44rear is going to help the wear problem I am experiencing. I'm trying to know what they should be 'cold' because supposedly the placard on door is 'cold' and the increase in pressure from these 'cold' values is accounted for when BMW puts the tire on the car, I.e., the increase in pressure due to heat will not cause tires to wear out I. 10-12,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A wear problem is easy to diagnose. If the middle of the tread is wearing faster than the edges your pressure is too high, so take it down a couple of pounds from what you've been running at. If the edges are wearing faster the pressure is too low, so add a couple of pounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #16
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
A wear problem is easy to diagnose. If the middle of the tread is wearing faster than the edges your pressure is too high, so take it down a couple of pounds from what you've been running at. If the edges are wearing faster the pressure is too low, so add a couple of pounds.
Hey Bill,
Yeah, my tire wear is pronounced in middle, especially on rears. My confusion is whether that is because of the higher pressure that the tire is at when it's warm ( in my case around 44psi/rear, or are the tire(s) just really not good wearing tires); they are the Pirelli Run Flat's that came on car when I purchased it. As I've said before, I check pressures at least once a week and have set them to placard level 36f/41r. Maybe I'll set them to 34f-38r, but it's probably to late for this set of tires. My next set of tires will still be Run Flats (unfortunately) because I will still be in warranty (48 mo. not up until 12/2020) but as soon as possible I am switching to non run flats.
Luckstr
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A 3 PSI difference between warm and cold is normal. 36F and 41R cold seems high to me. I have mine at 35/35 cold and the wear is even, but that's with 225/55 rubber.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
My door says 33/41 cold. Earlier today the tires were up to almost 110F (long freeway drive) and the pressures were 38/44.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #19
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Bill,
If I understand you correctly, there is a band of pressure (let's say say +/- 4 psi; if there is such a band do you know what it is, I.e., +/- X psi) where the alarm will not be triggered after a proper reset. Is this what you are intimating? So if the OP set his tire pressure at 28 psi and did a reset, he would NOT get a notification between 24-32 psi (using +|-4 as example); or are the +/- tolerances different (+X/-Y) ? Just trying to understand this concept. Please let me know if my understanding is wrong. Thanks
Luckstr
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #20
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Quote:
Quote:
This is how I thought it worked too.

The reset just tells the car that "x" is the normal pressure and if it drops 30% from this value then the alarms go off.

If this still does not work then a workaround would be to just use esys to change tyre pressure monitoring from TPMS to RPA.

This will monitor rolling radius only so the reset should work as it's based on rolling radius reference rather than absolute numbers.
Is there an upper level (+X%) at which the notification will appear?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
A 3 PSI difference between warm and cold is normal. 36F and 41R cold seems high to me. I have mine at 35/35 cold and the wear is even, but that's with 225/55 rubber.
Bill,
I am running 225/40 on front, 255/35 on rear; 19" Pirelli P zero Run Flat. As I said previously, door placard for "cold" is 36 front/41 rear ( same as User Manual). I have taken your advice & lowered to 34front/38rear (and then did a re-set of TPMS). Might get me some more miles out of existing tires ??? BTW, model year 2017, 440i convertible (F33), 15,000 miles.
Thanks
Luckstr
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It should get you more out of them than if you hadn't lowered the pressure. If you lowered the pressure enough they'd wear more on the edges than in the middle, in theory eventually making the wear more even overall, but taking the pressure too low increases rolling resistance, and makes for reduced handling, so there's nothing to be gained in that.
Appreciate 0