F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Denver Car Security
proTUNING Freaks

06-08-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Denver Car Security

I am moving from PA to Denver and I am very worried about the seemingly rampant car theft issues. Multiple residents in my apartment building have had their cars broken into and bikes stolen in a "locked" underground parking garage. My bright blue f30 is going to standout like a sore thumb to criminals.

Any ideas on how to prevent car break-ins and theft?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
Ducky077
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Are you moving to downtown Denver? Regardless-- yes your car will stick out like a sore thumb but you must remember-- criminals are opportunistic (they go around pulling on door handles, and checking it you left it unlocked, more often then breaking your glass). Don't think Denver/Colorado is full of hoodlums lol. You'll be fine. You could also get a really obnoxious alarm system with a tilt sensor and proximity sensor wired in. If the car even moves a tiny bit on the tilt sensor (for wheels) the alarm goes off. You can program the proximity sensor to be super sensitive (if someone even parks next to you it'll go off). Finally you can get both of these wired to some Hella Supertone horns (look for the ones made in Germany if possible-- they are harder to find but some say a bit louder). Second finally, as far as the car theft, you can get a kill switch installed very easily, hide the switch under the seat or somewhere even more hidden. They will never find it. Switch is off = engine will never start and seem like the battery is dead.

At the end of the day if someone wants into your car they will get in there. You can mitigate the amount of time they can comfortably be in there with all these solutions, or just not leave anything of value visible so they don't have a motive to break your window, they will just pull the door and move on.

My old car was wired with all of these components. I ended up turning down the proximity sensor because it was so annoying, a squirrel would make it go off and I'd end up with a baseball bat and PJ'S in the parking lot lol. Let me know if you need anything else!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 04:50 AM   #3
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I am moving from PA to Denver and I am very worried about the seemingly rampant car theft issues. Multiple residents in my apartment building have had their cars broken into and bikes stolen in a "locked" underground parking garage. My bright blue f30 is going to standout like a sore thumb to criminals.

Any ideas on how to prevent car break-ins and theft?
You don’t have any choice if you’re street parking. Might as well just rip your own mirrors off and leave your windows down so they won’t break em.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
jimgandhi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i drive M Sport

Garage List
Im from Pittsburgh which was no better. Just like Pittsburgh make sure you have a garage. Out of sight, out of mind. Most people are just dumb and leave their car unlocked with plenty of things in sight. You will love the dryness!
Appreciate 0