F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 XHP flash
Studio RSR

08-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #397
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

For hard shifting, is there a way to remove it in lower gears? Especially in Comfort mode?

Super jerky and uncomfortable when driving around town running errands with the lady.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #398
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30n55 View Post
I run stage 4 as a daily but in regular mode not in m/s the sift points in m/s are set up perfectly for me to do 20/40/60 rolls I visit "Mexico" once a month or so other than that I coast around in comfort am I risking any damage to my trans? (I did a full flush 3k miles ago)
None of the modes should be 'dangerous'. The stage 4 is designed for track use so i doubt using it once a month to do some rolls is any concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
For hard shifting, is there a way to remove it in lower gears? Especially in Comfort mode?

Super jerky and uncomfortable when driving around town running errands with the lady.
You shouldnt have any jerky shifting... i run stage 3 and my shifts in D/comfort are very smooth. I don't think i have ever had a jerky or uncomfortable shift either before or after XHP. In S/sport+ they are crisp and faster but i still wouldnt call them jerky.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #399
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
None of the modes should be 'dangerous'. The stage 4 is designed for track use so i doubt using it once a month to do some rolls is any concern.

You shouldnt have any jerky shifting... i run stage 3 and my shifts in D/comfort are very smooth. I don't think i have ever had a jerky or uncomfortable shift either before or after XHP. In S/sport+ they are crisp and faster but i still wouldnt call them jerky.
Well, the shifts aren't jerky themselves. The shifts are hard and crisp, in all modes. I drive in comfort in 90% of my driving. But when coming to a light and I am slowing down, the car would downshift (hard and crisp) but it jerks the car. Almost the sensation of me stabbing the brakes really quick.

The car felt fine when I first did the flash. This only happened after I switched my maps from E30 to 91ACN. Wondering if me reflashing on BM3 has anything to do with it.

Gonna get some more mileage and see if anything changes. Just wanted to bring this up just in case if anyone had dealt with the same feeling.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #400
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well, the shifts aren't jerky themselves. The shifts are hard and crisp, in all modes. I drive in comfort in 90% of my driving. But when coming to a light and I am slowing down, the car would downshift (hard and crisp) but it jerks the car. Almost the sensation of me stabbing the brakes really quick.

The car felt fine when I first did the flash. This only happened after I switched my maps from E30 to 91ACN. Wondering if me reflashing on BM3 has anything to do with it.

Gonna get some more mileage and see if anything changes. Just wanted to bring this up just in case if anyone had dealt with the same feeling.
Strange, is that only the 2-1 shift? or more generally? I havent felt that in any mode. The only time downshifts feel a little 'abrupt' is when the throttle is blipped on a low speed low gear downshift in S/Sport+.

One thing you can do is make sure you XHP app is fully updated, then re-flash whatever stage map you are on to the newest version. Might help, especially if its been a while since you did the XHP flash since maps have been updated fairly recently.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #401
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Strange, is that only the 2-1 shift? or more generally? I havent felt that in any mode. The only time downshifts feel a little 'abrupt' is when the throttle is blipped on a low speed low gear downshift in S/Sport+.

One thing you can do is make sure you XHP app is fully updated, then re-flash whatever stage map you are on to the newest version. Might help, especially if its been a while since you did the XHP flash since maps have been updated fairly recently.
Yea, mainly in 2-1. 3-2 does the same thing but it's very subtle, nothing worth mentioning. But 2-1 is very harsh. The app and stuff is up to date from what I can see.

I turned on stock shift points and reflashed it yesterday after visiting Home Depot. Gonna drive it around and see what it does.

What settings do you have setup? If you don't mind sending me a screenshot of what you have, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So far I have max rpm (6100 like you) but I might switch it to 6k. Also have stock shiftmaps and torque limits turned on but left the settings as is.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #402
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yea, mainly in 2-1. 3-2 does the same thing but it's very subtle, nothing worth mentioning. But 2-1 is very harsh. The app and stuff is up to date from what I can see.

I turned on stock shift points and reflashed it yesterday after visiting Home Depot. Gonna drive it around and see what it does.

What settings do you have setup? If you don't mind sending me a screenshot of what you have, I'd greatly appreciate it.

So far I have max rpm (6100 like you) but I might switch it to 6k. Also have stock shiftmaps and torque limits turned on but left the settings as is.
When you go to flash just make sure you choose the top ("latest") map option. I know ive updated maps probably 2-3 times to newer versions just over the past few months since my initial flash in around March.

The only things i actually changed in the settings were the enable gear display in D mode, and setting max rpm to 6100. Didn't mess with anything else. Next time I pull up the app i can get SS but might be a while since my car is dialed right now lol.

I didnt change the shiftmaps if you are talking about the % sliders. Left those as is.

Why would you turn torque limits on? Did you also make sure to choose the correct flash option on MHD?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #403
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

When you go to flash just make sure you choose the top ("latest") map option. I know ive updated maps probably 2-3 times to newer versions just over the past few months since my initial flash in around March.

The only things i actually changed in the settings were the enable gear display in D mode, and setting max rpm to 6100. Didn't mess with anything else. Next time I pull up the app i can get SS but might be a while since my car is dialed right now lol.

I didnt change the shiftmaps if you are talking about the % sliders. Left those as is.

Why would you turn torque limits on? Did you also make sure to choose the correct flash option on MHD?
Yea I made sure I chose the latest version (2.3 or 3.3 if my memory is correct).

I don't have shiftmap deleted but I do have stock shiftmap selected. I just realized even though I had stock shiftmap selected, it was turn off. Just turned it on, gonna see how that goes.

I thought it was good to turn torque limits on? But after going back a few pages, seems like XHP actually removes torque limits "properly". Should I turn that settings off? Here's what I have right now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #404
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yea I made sure I chose the latest version (2.3 or 3.3 if my memory is correct).

I don't have shiftmap deleted but I do have stock shiftmap selected. I just realized even though I had stock shiftmap selected, it was turn off. Just turned it on, gonna see how that goes.

I thought it was good to turn torque limits on? But after going back a few pages, seems like XHP actually removes torque limits "properly". Should I turn that settings off? Here's what I have right now
For torque limits, yeah, the point of XHP is so you can remove (rather, raise) them so that you don't hit them in 3rd/6th gear with a FBO/tuned car. Then, you can go into MHD, and select the option at flash time, so that you can actually exceed the OEM torque limits in those gears. I honestly dont remember if the slider should be to the left or right in XHP to achieve this; just open up that option and see what it says. Some of those sliders are a little confusing, like the gear display one you have to put the slider to the right, then go into the menu and change an additional option to get the gear display on.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #405
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

For torque limits, yeah, the point of XHP is so you can remove (rather, raise) them so that you don't hit them in 3rd/6th gear with a FBO/tuned car. Then, you can go into MHD, and select the option at flash time, so that you can actually exceed the OEM torque limits in those gears. I honestly dont remember if the slider should be to the left or right in XHP to achieve this; just open up that option and see what it says. Some of those sliders are a little confusing, like the gear display one you have to put the slider to the right, then go into the menu and change an additional option to get the gear display on.
I don't have MHD (running BM3) so I'm not too sure about that.

I turned off torque limits for now. I will email them to see what they say. This is a screenshot of the torque limits description.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #406
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

hey Jeremy I switched back to a 91 tune from e30 I noticed my shifts aren't as crisp anymore at half throttle or so there us a tiny bit if hang between the gears feels like someone is lightly tapping the breaks especially 5-8. Time to sell?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #407
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I don't have MHD (running BM3) so I'm not too sure about that.

I turned off torque limits for now. I will email them to see what they say. This is a screenshot of the torque limits description.
Ah, those torque limits are what you would manually impose, for example to try and improve traction as the tooltip mentioned. They might slow you down (if you have traction) but im not sure how/why they would affect shift feel.

Quote:
hey Jeremy I switched back to a 91 tune from e30 I noticed my shifts aren't as crisp anymore at half throttle or so there us a tiny bit if hang between the gears feels like someone is lightly tapping the breaks especially 5-8. Time to sell?
What do you mean time to sell? Ive never experienced what you described but it could be a DME tune issue not a XHP issue... You should try flashing the newest XHP map to make sure but in generally you shouldnt need to reflash XHP after a DME tune change.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #408
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Yes I reflashed both of the tunes already got a little better but i can still feel it its very slight and minor if soemone would have drove the car they would notice it just bugs me do you thing the adaptations are just still set for the higher hp tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #409
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Ah, those torque limits are what you would manually impose, for example to try and improve traction as the tooltip mentioned. They might slow you down (if you have traction) but im not sure how/why they would affect shift feel.
Do you have yours manually turned on?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #410
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes I reflashed both of the tunes already got a little better but i can still feel it its very slight and minor if soemone would have drove the car they would notice it just bugs me do you thing the adaptations are just still set for the higher hp tune?
If you're talking about transmission adaptations, you never reset those.

If you're talking about DME adaptations, you can just drive 50 miles after the tune change and see if things get better. Ive only changed DME tunes once since running XHP and i never noticed any issues when switching. I've also updated XHP map version a few times and everything was always consistent.

Quote:
Do you have yours manually turned on?
No. No changes aside from gear display in D and shift points at 6100. I can basically hook 1st gear from a dig with little to no spin with PS4S tires so i have no need for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #411
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

So I think changing my BM3 tune kind of reset my adaptation. Driving home from work yesterday, the "lurches" were minimal. I made changes to the XP tune like you mentioned thejeremyman9 but as stated, I don't think any of that would affect or have any connection with my "lurches/jerks".

I will test this theory in about a week or some after I go through another tank of 91. I switched over from my E30 mix to 91 to reset my tank. Piece of mind. After this tank, I will flash back to my E30 mix and will see if it goes back to these aggressive lurches.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #412
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So I think changing my BM3 tune kind of reset my adaptation. Driving home from work yesterday, the "lurches" were minimal. I made changes to the XP tune like you mentioned thejeremyman9 but as stated, I don't think any of that would affect or have any connection with my "lurches/jerks".

I will test this theory in about a week or some after I go through another tank of 91. I switched over from my E30 mix to 91 to reset my tank. Piece of mind. After this tank, I will flash back to my E30 mix and will see if it goes back to these aggressive lurches.
IIRC BM3 does reset adaptations (no trans, but DME-related ones) when you flash/change maps. That could be it. Will be interested to see what happens when you flash again.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #413
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
IIRC BM3 does reset adaptations (no trans, but DME-related ones) when you flash/change maps. That could be it. Will be interested to see what happens when you flash again.
I think it is because this happened right after my last flash. We'll see next week.

To keep things on topic, here is a response from XHP and my question about whether or not I need to turn on torque limits:

Hi Richard,

our OTS MAPS have pre-defined torque settings.

Stage 1 and 2 are 800NM for all gears and stage 3 uses 1000NM in all gears.

You only should activate the torque limits if you want to limit certain gears. Like for 1/4 mile cars with "bad tires" you can limit the 1 and 2 gear to 600NM as example to lower the wheelspin.

Best regards,
Semin Biscevic
Product Genius xHP & xDelete
RBT TUNING GMBH – Home of xHP Flashtool & xDelete
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #414
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Change in throttle sensitivity

Has anyone else experienced a change in throttle sensitivity going from eg. Stage1 to Stage3? My car feel much more twitchy with Stage3 comparing the two like for like
      09-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #415
Stevro
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve float View Post
can't say i'm terribly impressed out of the box....with stg3 map...sport+ is crazy...holding revs in gear to 5K + lol.
Hi all,

I've posted a few times now. This forum has been great for a newbie modder. I've lowered and widened my 435d X. Had it tuned and added zimmermann discs and pads now.

Next is a gearbox tune, hence this post.

The above quote sounds like the remap holds the car in gear for longer. Exactly what I want. Can someone confirm for me before I buy if it does this in Sport too :-) I drive in Sport mostly and it annoys me how the car gets to S4 by 40ish mph. I like my car to rev a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Stevro; 09-27-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #416
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevro View Post
Hi all,

I've posted a few times now. This forum has been great for a newbie modder. I've lowered and widened my 435d X. Had it tuned and added zimmermann discs and pads now.

Next is a gearbox tune, hence this post.

The above quote sounds like the remap holds the car in gear for longer. Exactly what I want. Can someone confirm for me before I buy if it does this in Sport too :-) I drive in Sport mostly and it annoys me how the car gets to S4 by 40ish mph. I like my car to rev a bit.

Thanks in advance.
Generally speaking yes, this is true. But in addition to that every single setting for shiftpoints and how long it will hold gears is configurable. So you can easily modify the settings beyond the OTS map configuration to fit your driving style and preference. Almost all settings are configurable separately for C/S/S+

Also, if you REALLY want to hold gears for maximum revs, you can do the new stage 4 map which is basically for track use and always shifts up and own to keep you in the upper RPM range.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #417
335F30
Rep
Drives: 13’ F30 335i xdrive

Are these scalings too high for a FBO stage 2 93oct otherwise stock 2013 f30 pwg xdrive? Looking for optimal launch control settings to achieve the best 1/4 mile times
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #418
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

I believe those are the settings Kies uses on his pwg xdrive 335.

I've got mine at 10 and 10. Seems to work well. I haven't experimented beyond that yet.

Its a little hard to do a straight back to back comparison because after you do a launch, the dme has a cool down period before it will let you launch again. Not sure exactly how long it is.

Last edited by 435gc; 06-14-2021 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0