F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Shocked With M Performance Exhaust
Studio RSR

10-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #199
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyNL View Post
I'm driving around with MPPK + MPerformance MPE for the last two years and it still sounds like shit.

The sound difference between Comfort and Sport is hardly noticable, maybe some more burbling, but the only thing I can hear when accelerating real hard is the engine itself and the N55 335i doesn't sound nice either.

I'm fed up with it and I ordered the Akrapovic exhaust system. Will be fitted in two weeks.
Good choice, the MPE gives no power gains whatsoever, for the price it costs, buy an aftermarket full exhaust system and enjoy power.

Good luck on the akrapovic!
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #200
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyNL View Post
I'm driving around with MPPK + MPerformance MPE for the last two years and it still sounds like shit.

The sound difference between Comfort and Sport is hardly noticable, maybe some more burbling, but the only thing I can hear when accelerating real hard is the engine itself and the N55 335i doesn't sound nice either.

I'm fed up with it and I ordered the Akrapovic exhaust system. Will be fitted in two weeks.
Two years? You've got #339 version for sure and it sounds like shit, doubtless
If you have AT, you could change it with the #340 version (introduced in Europe by BMW in 2014 summer) and the the sound would have improved. There's been a loto of talk about this question
Anyway, You made the right choice by opting for Akrapovic: for me n.1!
      11-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #201
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

I'm considering getting the mppk and mpe. I hear many have the crackle and pop once they have this upgrade set up. I actually have that bare stock when I put it in sport mode. So my question is does everyone have that and with the upgrade is it louder ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:35 AM   #202
GuiltyNL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72 View Post
Two years? You've got #339 version for sure and it sounds like shit, doubtless
If you have AT, you could change it with the #340 version (introduced in Europe by BMW in 2014 summer) and the the sound would have improved. There's been a loto of talk about this question
Anyway, You made the right choice by opting for Akrapovic: for me n.1!
I have a 6MT and now the Akrapovic system fitted. What a difference.

I only don't like the burble in Comfort, burbling should only be in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #203
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 (2013 335XI) & F48 (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarbul1 View Post
I'm considering getting the mppk and mpe. I hear many have the crackle and pop once they have this upgrade set up. I actually have that bare stock when I put it in sport mode. So my question is does everyone have that and with the upgrade is it louder ?
I have a '13 335XI that I just got 2 months ago, which had the MPE installed (a year ago, not by the dealer but by another shop), but mine doesn't have the MPPK. Like you, I hear the crackle/pop a little bit, but only on downshift/hard driving rather than all the time/in general. I drove the same car with the MPE AND MPPK though, and the crackle/pop was constant and sounded INSANE. I absolutely loved it, and am waiting for the weather to warm up before I add the MPPK on mine. All I can tell you is that the MPE makes a bit of a difference in the 'tone' of the exhaust sound, but the MPPK is where it's at for the crackle/pops!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 02:23 AM   #204
M powa
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

i have a M performance exhaust on my car

am i able to add any other brand performance mid pipe?

i msg AWE and they said i must run their axleback in order to run their mid pipe?

i find tat very weird, when the mid section (single piping) all looks similar if not the same

I see supersprint, AWE, akrapvois, and other brand manufacture the mid section, anyone tried it to see if it bolts up on to the M exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #205
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M powa View Post

i msg AWE and they said i must run their axleback in order to run their mid pipe?

i find tat very weird, when the mid section (single piping) all looks similar if not the same

I see supersprint, AWE, akrapvois, and other brand manufacture the mid section, anyone tried it to see if it bolts up on to the M exhaust?

Why are you changing your midpipe? Normally if you do that, you should change your entire system as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #206
M powa
Rep

^

just thinking to make it louder? since i find the M exhaust is still a little bit on the quiet side?

Most aftermarket exhaust are catback anyway?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #207
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
^

just thinking to make it louder? since i find the M exhaust is still a little bit on the quiet side?

Most aftermarket exhaust are catback anyway?
Most aftermarket come with full catback (includes everything to replace entire system, for example, borla and akrapovic.)

If you want louder, needs a new muffler or Catless DP.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #208
M powa
Rep

^

i know, thats why i was hoping if anyone have any experience with this setup changing the mid pipe while pair up with the m exhaust to make it a catback. better flow and louder
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #209
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:

Supersprint could replace all mid pipe, removing the central resonator, and fit it to the orginal MPE.
I asked them bye email
Maybe next springtime I'll do it!
      12-04-2015, 06:06 AM   #210
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I'm surprised by listening to some of the MPE exhaust here that it sounds stock. My F15 X5 35i stock to M performance exhaust is dramatic change.

Here is my videos..

Cold start with just MPPK.

Cold start with MPPK and MPE.

09-03-2018, 01:58 AM   #211
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i F32 6MT (MPPK, MPE)

Sorry to reignite this old thread but this is the most useful thread I’ve read on the differences between the #339 and #340 m sport exhausts for the F30/F32 models.

I would like to clarify a few things if anyone can help me out.

I have a manual 435i and live in London. I already have the mppk and love it (having a manual I had to go for the softer version with only 430nm of torque but it still gives the car the kick of life so was looking for to make it feel like it should have come from the factory).

However, it does need to be louder and more confident! I was considering the MPE and was very excited after all the videos and reviews I have seen until the bmw parts guy gave me the spec sheet to have a look at... it clearly states that “according to traffic regulations (StVZO), [the #340 mpe is] only permitted for vehicles with automatic transmissions”. And so the only option I have for my manual is to go with the #339. Bummer!

After all the negative things I have read and heard on the #339 mpe, I am not prepared to splash out on what will likely be a disappointment. My questions, however are these...

1. StVZO appear to be German traffic regulations. As far as I can tell these are not actually applicable in the UK (please correct me if I am wrong!). Therefore, is there anything to stop me ordering the #340 mpe and having a 3rd party or myself fit it? Will the warranty still be intact if I don’t order and fit through the dealer and will they ever care or even find out if I fitted the wrong one?

2. Will I be breaking any equivalent laws here in the UK?

3. What leverage do you think I will have with my dealer on this point? Do you reckon I will be able to persuade them to fit the #340 based on the regulations not being applicable in the UK or do you think I will have some negotiating power on price since the #339 is an inferior product and can’t be justified at the same price as the #340?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0