F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Are people stupid enough to believe Boris again?
ARMA SPEED

06-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Are people stupid enough to believe Boris again?

So having dishonestly claimed that we send £350m a week to the EU, to get a Leave vote, Boris is now claiming that he will raise the higher rate threshold from £50k to £80k if he becomes PM.

Perhaps he has overlooked the fact that he would be the PM of a minority government. There is no way that legislation would pass - even left-leaning tories would oppose it, along with every other MP in parliament. It is pretty bizarre to have been called-out on a massive lie, and to fight back with another equally undeliverable lie. Surely people aren't naive enough to fall for this twice!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
So having dishonestly claimed that we send £350m a week to the EU, to get a Leave vote, Boris is now claiming that he will raise the higher rate threshold from £50k to £80k if he becomes PM.

Perhaps he has overlooked the fact that he would be the PM of a minority government. There is no way that legislation would pass - even left-leaning tories would oppose it, along with every other MP in parliament. It is pretty bizarre to have been called-out on a massive lie, and to fight back with another equally undeliverable lie. Surely people aren't naive enough to fall for this twice!
he is a politician, he doesnt lie, he uses carefully chosen words. In the first one, pretty sure he never said we sent £350m a week net, so there was some mileage in what he said. In the second one, I am sure he hasn't said in this parliament,, or actually that he would get to implement it, just that he would pursue it as policy.

But to answer your question, probably if its what they want to hear...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
he is a politician, he doesnt lie, he uses carefully chosen words. In the first one, pretty sure he never said we sent £350m a week net, so there was some mileage in what he said. In the second one, I am sure he hasn't said in this parliament,, or actually that he would get to implement it, just that he would pursue it as policy.

He very clearly advertised it as £350m net - there is no other way to take this:

And he has said that he will raise this threshold to £80k 'if he becomes prime minister', and of course he could become prime minister about 7 weeks from now.

If he means that he would stand on that (£80k) policy for the next election, that would be fair enough (although he would lose), but that really isn't what he has said.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
He very clearly advertised it as £350m net - there is no other way to take this:

And he has said that he will raise this threshold to £80k 'if he becomes prime minister', and of course he could become prime minister about 7 weeks from now.

If he means that he would stand on that (£80k) policy for the next election, that would be fair enough (although he would lose), but that really isn't what he has said.
Nope that bus definitely says we send them, it doesnt say anything about what they send us back.... shady definitely, and I cant stand the guy, but not a lie....

I think the £80k thing is an appeal to the voting membership and he is assuming he will get to the last two. He will then be PM and if he cant get his way will look to have a GE early on to take on Corbyn and try and rubbish the Momentum party whilst using his own weasel words on what he might do.... Wasnt there some EE NI change mentioned with the income tax change that takes away some of the benefit / cost to the country?

I'd take Javid over any of the others.... just because he probably has made few f*ck ups so far in his career...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Come on hes ditch the Wife, had a hair cut, lost weight and got a young girlfriend...what could go wrong?
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

People need railings to stop them walking in front of cars. They let their children eat washing tabs, and need a warning that coffee is hot.

The answer is undoubtably yes, they are all stupid!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Party Leadership election 'YES'

General public and General Election 'NO'
      06-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Nope that bus definitely says we send them, it doesnt say anything about what they send us back.... shady definitely, and I cant stand the guy, but not a lie....

I think the £80k thing is an appeal to the voting membership and he is assuming he will get to the last two. He will then be PM and if he cant get his way will look to have a GE early on to take on Corbyn and try and rubbish the Momentum party whilst using his own weasel words on what he might do.... Wasn't there some EE NI change mentioned with the income tax change that takes away some of the benefit / cost to the country?

I'd take Javid over any of the others.... just because he probably has made few f*ck ups so far in his career...
Really, its pretty impossible to defend this and misinterpret he is LITERALLY saying we send them £350M a week. Nothing else. It's been proven this is untrue.

Case closed.
      06-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

I'd vote for him, would like to be a basic rate taxpayer again!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #10
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

I think the £80k thing is an appeal to the voting membership and he is assuming he will get to the last two. He will then be PM and if he cant get his way will look to have a GE early on to take on Corbyn and try and rubbish the Momentum party whilst using his own weasel words on what he might do.... Wasnt there some EE NI change mentioned with the income tax change that takes away some of the benefit / cost to the country?

It is a lie, by not mentioning the other part coming back at all, that makes it a lie. And then the second statement underneath, is clearly meant to be linked to the top figure.

Just because they used weasel words that would get them out of a legal challenge, it doesn't mean it wasn't a big fat lie to the general public.

And, for a change, I like one of Teastons analogies. If I give you £50 and you give me back £20 at the same time, have I given you £50, or £30?

That's like a shop saying they received loads of extra money because they're not going to count the change they had to give for most transactions.

How much did you take today? £4K, brilliant day, don't worry that I had to give £1.5k in change, £4k is still £4k.

And let's be clear, we DON'T even send that to the EU, a fair amount will be automatically netted off before we send anything, so it's definitely a lie.
Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
JustChris17487.50
      06-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Really, its pretty impossible to defend this and misinterpret he is LITERALLY saying we send them £350M a week. Nothing else. It's been proven this is untrue.

Case closed.
18.6bn gross contribution. 52 weeks a year. 357.7m GBP per week.

Gross we give them 350m a week.

Rebates probably accounted for separately and funds flow separate so I think it could be argued that we sent them 350m a week....

I dont agree with it as a way to do business but there is a definite argument for saying it is factually accurate...

Last edited by isleaiw1; 06-10-2019 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: to correct the typo pointed out by JustChris
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Party Leadership election 'YES'

General public and General Election 'NO'
Tend to agree; IMO the Conservatives have little chance of winning the next General Election regardless of who's leader is but if it's Boris I think that very slim chance probably reduces to zero.

Will the Conservatives elect him as leader and PM? Well, they might think they're going to be out of power in the near future anyway so on that basis perhaps now would actually be the ideal time to hand Boris the poisoned chalice? Let him have his moment as leader and PM for a few months but then when it all goes pear-shaped at the General Election they can blame him, throw him under the bus (a red one?!) and be rid of him once and for all (or at the very least least consign him permanently to the back benches).
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
It is a lie, by not mentioning the other part coming back at all, that makes it a lie. And then the second statement underneath, is clearly meant to be linked to the top figure.

Just because they used weasel words that would get them out of a legal challenge, it doesn't mean it wasn't a big fat lie to the general public.

And, for a change, I like one of Teastons analogies. If I give you £50 and you give me back £20 at the same time, have I given you £50, or £30?

That's like a shop saying they received loads of extra money because they're not going to count the change they had to give for most transactions.

How much did you take today? £4K, brilliant day, don't worry that I had to give £1.5k in change, £4k is still £4k.

And let's be clear, we DON'T even send that to the EU, a fair amount will be automatically netted off before we send anything, so it's definitely a lie.
I guess the difference is that I used to work in Finance for a company that supplied the big retailers. We could have up to 20% of our sales value going back to them in rebates each year. We didnt used to talk about net sales value, the business (and retailer) always talked about gross sales and then the kickback. So whilst I get why everyone sees it as a lie, to me it is a normal way to talk about things.

But I truly hope everyone thinks he is a liar and he gets nowhere near a position of power because he is a lazy arrogant shit, allegedly!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
18.6bn gross contribution. 52 weeks a year. 357.7k GBP per week.

Gross we give them 350k a week.

Rebates probably accounted for separately and funds flow separate so I think it could be argued that we sent them 350k a week....

I dont agree with it as a way to do business but there is a definite argument for saying it is factually accurate...
Read the Bus slogan again.....it says £350MILLION a week. You're saying we give them £350k a week

Either way, even if its a mere factor of 1000 out surely its been proven that what he was saying is not true.
      06-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Read the Bus slogan again.....it says £350MILLION a week. You're saying we give them £350k a week

Either way, even if its a mere factor of 1000 out surely its been proven that what he was saying is not true.
Typo - not used to using the suffix "m"!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
I guess the difference is that I used to work in Finance for a company that supplied the big retailers. We could have up to 20% of our sales value going back to them in rebates each year. We didnt used to talk about net sales value, the business (and retailer) always talked about gross sales and then the kickback. So whilst I get why everyone sees it as a lie, to me it is a normal way to talk about things.

But I truly hope everyone thinks he is a liar and he gets nowhere near a position of power because he is a lazy arrogant shit, allegedly!
Again that is not quite right though. Did you advise Boris on this, sounds like it!

Internally you may well have talked about gross sales and forgot your rebates. But, when declaring results to the public, companies house, stock exhancge etc, you most definitely declared your net position.

This is the same. Kidding people with half truths. Fine to do it internally if you understand it's not real. Not ok to declare to the outside world as real.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Boris is running scared from the TV cameras because he doesn't want to answer the question that's coming to him.

The whole thing is a farce, when Hunt starts to look even remotely prime ministerial you know the field laid before you isn't up to scratch.
      06-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #18
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

I do think that the bus slogan was knowingly phrased in that misleading way.

'Send' was indisputable. Had they said 'pay' then that would be somewhat more vague and could be termed to be a (mis)representation of the net position.

Send was enough to influence those they needed to influence, who would rightly not question the meaning behind that slogan - as they believed that these men of the people were on their side against the rich capitalists.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18775.50
      06-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #19
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

He’s a selfish, lying, masoginist, racist, deceitful, untrustworthy, egotistical shit.

Yes, of course people will vote for him.

I’m not a fan.
      06-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

This place is going to be fun when he becomes the new Prime Minister in roughly 6 weeks...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
People need railings to stop them walking in front of cars. They let their children eat washing tabs, and need a warning that coffee is hot.

The answer is undoubtably yes, they are all stupid!
Absolutely true! If you think back to high school there were very few of us in top sets for all subjects, all those other people may have gained knowledge over the years, but their IQ remains the same, and they account for the vast majority of the population.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nson-channel-4

That should disqualify him from ever becoming PM. Caught on tape discussing a plan to beat up a journalist.

He is scum.
Appreciate 0