F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 540i discounts
Extreme Powerhouse

01-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #23
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

27% discount - do you have to sign up to Finance to get that?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #24
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
27% discount - do you have to sign up to Finance to get that?

Cheers
Yes, the best cash offer I have is lower, about 19%.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #25
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Let me know if you want to see one in the flesh as we're both in herts.
Ditto - let me know if you want to try one out for size, its not a 540i but you should get a good feel....you can even try the seat on the right...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #26
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Let me know if you want to see one in the flesh as we're both in herts.
Ditto - let me know if you want to try one out for size, its not a 540i but you should get a good feel....you can even try the seat on the right...
Thanks Ian. You might ruin me for the 540i though...

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #27
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
Thanks Ian. You might ruin me for the 540i though...
I will put it in eco pro equiv and leave handbrake on 😉😉 to be fair, a 540i is all you need and i probably never drive mine any quicker than i would a 40i....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #28
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I will put it in eco pro equiv and leave handbrake on 😉😉 to be fair, a 540i is all you need and i probably never drive mine any quicker than i would a 40i....
And the 40i is available with the right body shape
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #29
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I must admit the thought has crossed my mind on a g31 540 purely down to discounts. I have had a nose round one and they are nice.

At present I have talked myself out of it because..

If I'm honest they are the same size of the v90 and 9 times put 10 it's too big.

If I bought one I know there would be a pang of regret at some point not getting an m340 and I have have had enough of that with the v90! Yes a 540 is very different to a v90 but still.

I live where I can use the performance of 340is and the like (obviously to a degree) so having the quicker car wouldn't be a waste.

A pre LCI 540 would make financial sense but then the minor tweaks LCi will come out and point 2 will come into play. Shouldn't I know but hey.

Saying all that though if the Q2 deals on m340s dont appear then you never know!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #30
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Discount sounds good, but that isn't all that makes a good deal. If the gfv is low, then the monthlies might still be high, also the Apr obviously makes a difference too. Did you get a full quote, or just the headline % difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 01:45 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Discount sounds good, but that isn't all that makes a good deal. If the gfv is low, then the monthlies might still be high, also the Apr obviously makes a difference too. Did you get a full quote, or just the headline % difference?
You're right but if the comparison is the M340i I'd have thought the GFV on a 540i would be higher (even quite a well specced M340i is only around £20k after 4 years and 32k miles). I think the current finance rates on the 5-series are also a bit lower as well (3.9% v 4.9% for the 3-series) so, if with a better discount you can get a 540i for the same sort of net price, I'd have thought it would be cheaper in terms of monthly repayments on a PCP than an M340i.....
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:12 AM   #32
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
3.9% which I think is ok - not seeing many/any 2.9 deals at the moment. Haven't got the full quote yet though, am hopefully going to manage to speak to them tomorrow.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:23 AM   #33
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
You're right but if the comparison is the M340i I'd have thought the GFV on a 540i would be higher (even quite a well specced M340i is only around £20k after 4 years and 32k miles). I think the current finance rates on the 5-series are also a bit lower as well (3.9% v 4.9% for the 3-series) so, if with a better discount you can get a 540i for the same sort of net price, I'd have thought it would be cheaper in terms of monthly repayments on a PCP than an M340i.....
Talking at cross purposes I think. I'm not to interested in the M340, not a car that appeals to me that much.

I'm just interested in the numbers for this deal.

Although, having just googled the LCI 2020 this is what I saw. Got to be either an M540i or an M540/50d on the way. Looks pretty good to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:29 AM   #34
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
3.9% which I think is ok - not seeing many/any 2.9 deals at the moment. Haven't got the full quote yet though, am hopefully going to manage to speak to them tomorrow.
Sounds right and if you're PCP'ing I'd say the 540i will almost certainly come out cheaper per month than an M340i. With the higher discounts the net price of the two will be very similar but the 540i will almost certainly have a higher GFV; a basic M340i is only around £19k after 4 years and 32k miles - and even with a good spec it's only about £20k - whereas I'd have thought a 540i would be over £20k? Throw in the slightly lower rate finance and I can't see how the 540i can be anything other than cheaper in terms of monthly repayments....
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:32 AM   #35
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Talking at cross purposes I think. I'm not to interested in the M340,not a car that appeals to me that much.

Although, having just googled the LCI 2020 this is what I saw. Got to be either an M540i or an M540/50d on the way. Looks pretty good to me.
We are talking at cross purposes, my comment about the comparison with the M340i was more directed at the OP as he was considering the M340i initially!
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      01-29-2020, 04:38 AM   #36
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We are talking at cross purposes, my comment about the comparison with the M340i was more directed at the OP as he was considering the M340i initially!
Apologies, you referenced my post, so I wrongly assumed you were responding to that.

I'm more interested now in that M540i or whatever it is and hoping it comes to the UK. And I'm hoping the dealers over order like they did on the a X3's and some mega deals show up.

I might even be willing to suffer some negative equity cost on the X3 to get in one. M5 is a stretch too far and not justifiable for me, but this might be.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:46 AM   #37
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Talking at cross purposes I think. I'm not to interested in the M340,not a car that appeals to me that much.

Correct

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:54 AM   #38
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
And the 40i is available with the right body shape
Well, the saloon boot is pretty big, and you tend to get less noise in a saloon, and the dog loves the luxury of the front footwell versus boot...

But if there had been an estate version I would have chosen that!

ultimately though, V8 or estate - no real competition... (as I dont have kids, or a penchant for DIY or camping, or other reasons to need a flexible boot... and I do have a Mini for the tip run - or daughters GLC).....
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #39
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Like a few of you, I've been following the various threads on the M340i as well as keeping tabs on discount levels. I'd not seen the new 3 series in the flesh, so decided to pop into my nearest dealer on Sunday. I hadn't arranged any test drives, but it was still quite a useful visit.

Having sat in quite a few of them, I think the new F40 M135i interior is better than the M340i. The fit and finish are similar but the design and materials I preferred in the M135i.

The new LED interior lighting is a great idea, I think models liek the 5,8 have gone too far with LED lights trips, its like Xmas in there. The suble gaps in the trim is a genius idea, you can still change colours but there is less overall glaring light.

The cloth/alacantra seats are also superb by default in M135i and a cash saver not upgrading. The leather although the same shape have far less detail and effort put into them.

5 LCI will no doubt be quite a stunning interior, tends to be a standard spec upgrade too at LCI.
      01-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #40
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Like a few of you, I've been following the various threads on the M340i as well as keeping tabs on discount levels. I'd not seen the new 3 series in the flesh, so decided to pop into my nearest dealer on Sunday. I hadn't arranged any test drives, but it was still quite a useful visit.

Having sat in quite a few of them, I think the new F40 M135i interior is better than the M340i. The fit and finish are similar but the design and materials I preferred in the M135i.

The new LED interior lighting is a great idea, I think models liek the 5,8 have gone too far with LED lights trips, its like Xmas in there. The suble gaps in the trim is a genius idea, you can still change colours but there is less overall glaring light.

The cloth/alacantra seats are also superb by default in M135i and a cash saver not upgrading. The leather although the same shape have far less detail and effort put into them.

5 LCI will no doubt be quite a stunning interior, tends to be a standard spec upgrade too at LCI.
Interesting. The dealer I visited didn't have an M135i. I did sit in a cooking 1 series and the gap to the G20 didn't seem huge from a quality POV. However I have a personal bug bear about what happens to the front cabin when there is no transmission tunnel. I hate the 'gap'. It's maybe just me but I feel less cocooned and it says cheap to me! Might be just me through... 🙂

Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 05:31 AM   #41
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:

Interesting. The dealer I visited didn't have an M135i. I did sit in a cooking 1 series and the gap to the G20 didn't seem huge from a quality POV. However I have a personal bug bear about what happens to the front cabin when there is no transmission tunnel. I hate the 'gap'. It's maybe just me but I feel less cocooned and it says cheap to me! Might be just me through... 🙂
These two posts remind me that I am well overdue a snoop around a BMW dealer, last new one I sat in was the X5 I had for 24 hours. Haven't looked at the new 1 or 3, or X7 for that matter.

One more for you mcoops - any thoughts on the 6GT? Not sure what the offers are like now, but i thought that was the range value for money standout a few months back.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #42
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
One more for you mcoops - any thoughts on the 6GT? Not sure what the offers are like now, but i thought that was the range value for money standout a few months back.
It's a good shout and did cross my mind. They didn't have a 6GT at the dealer I visited. Without giving it the benefit of having seen it, a couple of things make me a bit lukewarm about it. I don't mind, but equally don't love the exterior. A 5 touring is more handsome to my eyes. Also, I've had a 3GT. I got on well with it, but although they are clearly different cars, I feel like I've done the big hatchback thing (and the 3GT was markedly bigger than the F30 - longer wheelbase as well as massive boot).

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:04 AM   #43
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

There was a G20 320d MSport in the showroom, plus an M340i saloon and a G21 330d parked outside. They all looked nicer in the metal than I'd given them credit for. I was not blown away by the interior of the G20. I've read a lot of reviews saying it was night and day vs. the F30, but I didn't think so. Design & materials perhaps look nicer, but don't necessarily feel much better, especially lower down. And I'd have to agree with some of the comments I've seen about the seats being firmer than last gen. Perhaps not in issue in real world driving, but certainly noticeable.

I then had a good nosey around a couple of 5 series. Naturally these are going to be a nicer place to sit, but I think I'd assumed the G20 would close the gap a little. But it still felt like a big step up.

The other model that impressed me unexpectedly, again just from the family PoV of the cabin and loadspace, was the X4. The new model looks less dumpy from the outside. Interior is pretty classy, and it actually solves the thing I don't like about the X3 - the waistline is higher, and I felt more cocooned.

So I duly specced up an X4 M40i and a 540i Touring on Carwow. Initial quotes on the X4 are poor. But I have instantly got 5 quotes over 20% on the 540i, including one at 27%. I know it's an older model, but I thought that was pretty good straight off the bat, and has given me food for thought.

I had pretty much sold myself on the M340i, and of course a 540i is a different proposition in terms of the drive and perhaps a bit of a sense of theatre. On the other hand, they are both family wagons, and the idea of getting more car for the same or less money is making me think. I'll end up test driving both, I'm sure. But I thought a 27% discount without trying was worth posting up in any case!
I drove a 540i a few months ago when it was warmer outside. To me, the 540i felt like it was a compromise between other, maybe more attractive, options. It had the B58 engine but not the overall sportiness that begs you to want to drive it like the M340i. For that I would probably consider the M550i.

The 540i is larger than a 3-series but if I was seeking an executive car with comfort and ease of ingress/egress for passengers, something like a Mercedes E-Class would be much more suitable.

I went in to test drive the 540i thinking that I'd be impressed and attracted to it. Yet, I came away thinking that I'd probably start spending money modding to improve it's deficiencies, so why not test drive the M550i to begin with. Or look at a more luxurious drive in that size in the E-Series. The 540i just didn't fit either bill for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #44
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
Its swings and roundabouts, the higher GFV means you end up with no or neg equity. I've just sold my M50D and I was getting trade and part ex bids of around £32k and the GFV in July 2021 was £31K.
Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00