F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Lockdown - Christmas 2021
ARMA SPEED

11-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #67
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Germany lockdown in a few days time and Italy to follow. Interesting
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #68
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY340i View Post
Germany lockdown in a few days time and Italy to follow. Interesting
Do you mean lockdown or restrictions on those not vaccinated? or some restrictions on what people generally can do but not a lockdown (stay at home, dont go out except for work if you cant work at home, food shopping and a bit of exercise)
Appreciate 1
MY340i721.00
      11-18-2021, 01:41 AM   #69
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Do you mean lockdown or restrictions on those not vaccinated? or some restrictions on what people generally can do but not a lockdown (stay at home, dont go out except for work if you cant work at home, food shopping and a bit of exercise)
Sounds like (assuming the media are correct) that its going to be restrictions for the unvaccinated. In the UK, that would mean millions of adults with restrictions considering 20% of them are not fully vaxxed.

Will it help bring the infection rate down? Probably but something tells me its not going to be the dramatic fall they were hoping for.

Like I said, look at Gibraltar. 100% vaxxed. its still spreading.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 01:52 AM   #70
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Who will stop or check people in the U.K. who are not vaccinated?

Shops don't even bother to deny access for something highly visible like a mask.

It really would be a nonsense to suggest a lockdown for those not vaccinated without actual policing of it.
      11-18-2021, 01:59 AM   #71
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

Shops don't even bother to deny access for something highly visible like a mask.

It really would be a nonsense to suggest a lockdown for those not vaccinated without actual policing of it.
Good point, the answer is nobody.

We live in a village and see a Police car once a week at most, its normally responding to an incident somewhere.

Sure, in major towns and cities you could have a police presence (assuming you can spare any) but other than that, its largely unenforceable, the same as masks has been.

The irony of German authorities stopping random people in the street asking to see their (vaccination) papers is going to make many a meme.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:03 AM   #72
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had a call yesterday with someone who works in the UK for a French-owned company. When lockdown in France started, the army were out supporting the police, everyone had to have a letter authorised by a senior manager from their employer stating who they were, where they lived, why they needed to travel and where they were going to and this was rigorously checked by the authorities who had set up checkpoints to control movement.

The UK operation were told all employees here had to have the same letter, and these were duly issued. The site in question employs several hundred workers who travelled from Edinburgh, Glasgow & Stirling on a daily basis to keep the plant running.

In the months after the pandemic started, NOT ONE of these employees was ever stopped or asked where they were going, or asked for any evidence that their work was “essential”. The guy I was speaking to travels from Stirling, and he said you could count on one hand the number of police patrols he saw on major roads in the early days of the lockdown.

The chances of any new lockdown being policed - let alone enforced - are zero in my view.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:18 AM   #73
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
The chances of any new lockdown being policed - let alone enforced - are zero in my view.
I agree and hence I think the chances of the UK trying to introduce a lockdown - or even additional restrictions - just for those who aren't vaccinated is a non-starter. As you say, it's unlikely a general lockdown would be policed and enforced effectively so I struggle to see how a more selective version that applied only to certain people would work....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:49 AM   #74
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I agree and hence I think the chances of the UK trying to introduce a lockdown - or even additional restrictions - just for those who aren't vaccinated is a non-starter. As you say, it's unlikely a general lockdown would be policed and enforced effectively so I struggle to see how a more selective version that applied only to certain people would work....
Yep, they will either leave it to the business to self police - that will work well, they have probably not got enough staff for normal business and in some industries will want the custom.....

Mind we let people self declare their income for tax, and trust the good old honest British to do it right.....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:36 AM   #75
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

MSM reporting Austria are going to go into a full lockdown, vs what they announced before which was a lockdown of the unvaccinated.

I would assume this is because its not practical to police a lockdown of the unvaccinated?

Their case rate is well up, 15k a day vs 10k a day at the 'peak' for them but with only 65% fully vaxxed and delta being more transmissible, its no surprise its running rampant there.

The UK is on 80% fully vaxxed give or take so will be interesting to see how we differ going into the winter months and if that 15% extra makes a meaningful difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:53 AM   #76
Lando72
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
MSM reporting Austria are going to go into a full lockdown, vs what they announced before which was a lockdown of the unvaccinated.

I would assume this is because its not practical to police a lockdown of the unvaccinated?

Their case rate is well up, 15k a day vs 10k a day at the 'peak' for them but with only 65% fully vaxxed and delta being more transmissible, its no surprise its running rampant there.

The UK is on 80% fully vaxxed give or take so will be interesting to see how we differ going into the winter months and if that 15% extra makes a meaningful difference.
That’s not quite right, the U.K. is only marginally better than Austria as their 65% is for the whole population and the U.K. measure you’ve mentioned is adults only. I think the U.K. measured the same is at 68%, so not much difference.

I suspect the roll out of third doses is what is helping the U.K. And perhaps less people are appearing on the official statistics in the U.K. too. I know plenty who tested positive by lateral flow, rechecked with a couple more, and have isolated for ten days, but not done a PCR.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      11-19-2021, 03:11 AM   #77
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando72 View Post
That’s not quite right, the U.K. is only marginally better than Austria as their 65% is for the whole population and the U.K. measure you’ve mentioned is adults only. I think the U.K. measured the same is at 68%, so not much difference.

I suspect the roll out of third doses is what is helping the U.K. And perhaps less people are appearing on the official statistics in the U.K. too. I know plenty who tested positive by lateral flow, rechecked with a couple more, and have isolated for ten days, but not done a PCR.
Interesting, I thought the 65% vs 80% was like for like but seems I am incorrect. Annoying they present stats in different ways! I suspect if cases start to rocket here again worse than they are now, BJ will do what he always does and wait until they are sky high, panic and put us into part or full lockdown which will be far too late to save the NHS from being overwhelmed. Rinse and repeat.

Weirdly enough I don't know a single person who has has Covid recently, we knew absolutely loads earlier in the year, ourselves included.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      11-19-2021, 03:20 AM   #78
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:

Easy. The capability is already rolled out.

Microsoft nano-bots in the vaccines, tracked via modules in lamp posts and motorway gantries. 5G masts keep spreading Covid so more vaccines/boosters are required.

It's a self-perpetuating model.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:50 AM   #79
Lando72
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
Interesting, I thought the 65% vs 80% was like for like but seems I am incorrect. Annoying they present stats in different ways! I suspect if cases start to rocket here again worse than they are now, BJ will do what he always does and wait until they are sky high, panic and put us into part or full lockdown which will be far too late to save the NHS from being overwhelmed. Rinse and repeat.

Weirdly enough I don't know a single person who has has Covid recently, we knew absolutely loads earlier in the year, ourselves included.
You’re lucky. My wife had it last week, triple jabbed, so very mild.

At half term we went away with another family and all three of them got it while we were away. Parents both double jabbed.

A neighbour and friend has it now and is isolating, double jabbed. A few colleagues have it now, and a few more had it in last few weeks.

I can honestly say I’ve never known so many people with it! Although don’t know many that are seriously ill. Only one I’ve heard is a husband of one of my wife’s colleagues, double jabbed and in his 40’s, currently on a ventilator. Not good.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:55 AM   #80
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Easy. The capability is already rolled out.

Microsoft nano-bots in the vaccines, tracked via modules in lamp posts and motorway gantries. 5G masts keep spreading Covid so more vaccines/boosters are required.

It's a self-perpetuating model.
I knew it!
      11-19-2021, 04:18 AM   #81
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I say no lockdowns and just let Darwinism do it's thing.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
G50954.50
      11-19-2021, 04:43 AM   #82
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:

UK always had a political unwillingness from the start to enforce restrictions in the way some Europeans did We took a laid back approach from day 1.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 04:55 AM   #83
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando72 View Post

I thought that, but according to this, the 80% is over 12s

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations.

I think we were overtaken by a few countries over the summer, but seem to be doing better again now, in terms of vaccination numbers anyway

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...pe-by-country/
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #84
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Won't happen. Ever again. But if they want to do it for two weeks over Christmas and with Furlough it'll save me a ton on holiday pay for the team.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #85
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Won't happen. Ever again. But if they want to do it for two weeks over Christmas and with Furlough it'll save me a ton on holiday pay for the team.
Well it wont.... they will then have holiday to take later and so will get leave twice and you will still have to pay it!

(holiday pay is at full pay even when on furlough, and not reclaimable....)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #86
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I'm in Portugal at the mo', visiting my eldest. Mask wearing on the metro and in (most) shops is mandatory and the level of compliance I've witnessed is 100%. Evidence of it being policed too on the metro. They have the highest rate of vaccination in Europe here at 88%. The public awareness campaigns they ran were all about protecting others as well as yourself/your family. All very impressive and very civilised.
isleaiw18772.50
      11-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #87
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I'm in Portugal at the mo', visiting my eldest. Mask wearing on the metro and in (most) shops is mandatory and the level of compliance I've witnessed is 100%. Evidence of it being policed too on the metro. They have the highest rate of vaccination in Europe here at 88%. The public awareness campaigns they ran were all about protecting others as well as yourself/your family. All very impressive and very civilised.
My best friend and god children live in Portugal, amongst several other friends, and this backs up what I've heard from them too. Compliance of mask wearing and respect for each other throughout this pandemic has been very high. That's the Portuguese for you though. Good and considerate people in the main! Usually go at least once a year and boy do I miss it. Have a great time!
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #88
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
My best friend and god children live in Portugal, amongst several other friends, and this backs up what I've heard from them too. Compliance of mask wearing and respect for each other throughout this pandemic has been very high. That's the Portuguese for you though. Good and considerate people in the main! Usually go at least once a year and boy do I miss it. Have a great time!
Agreed, only been once for a flying visit but loved every minute of it!

A friend is in Croatia and says similar about how they behave....it seems that the longer you have had freedom the less likely you are to behave in a manner which respects your countrymen...

(Scots should be well behaved then )
Appreciate 0