F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > coolant injection line - engine damage
proTUNING Freaks

11-10-2022, 02:00 PM   #1
ST808
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 430I

Unhappy coolant injection line - engine damage

I have a 2017 430I, first time owning a BMW, converted from Benz owner. Received a recall/factory repair letter a while back indicating a possible problem with collant injection line with this model and year and to come in and BMW will fix for free. I had no indication of low coolant.

Car has just under 48K miles. I had no indication of coolant leak until last week. When light came on, I remembered the letter and scheduled for the repair. Then I bought coolant, refilled the coolant over the weekend. I drove perhaps a total of 20 miles after refilling the coolant. Over the weekend, while running an errand -less than 10 miles car went into limp mode- saying high engine temp, overheating. I pulled over waited and then re-started the engine and went home. Following day drove to the dealership, Same thing happened. Dealership called said they saw the coolant injection line issue fixed it but the overheating caused engine damage and I would need a new engine with a qoute of 21k and they would not cover it as it was out of warranty. I called BMW USA and they denied coverage as well. It is shocking to me the price tag and BMW refusal to cover. The broken coolant line is the cause of my engine damage in my opinion. I am just at a loss as to next steps and thought this community would have some good suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

This is N55 engine section, might want to try your engine section or general forums.

TBH though, you drove when you knew there was an issue, so it kinda seems like your fault? Did they actually say what the engine damage was?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
cch081782
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 430i

I have the same issue. I was told by the dealership that it would be ok to drive the car.

Have you found any solution to your problem? I need help because I am still paying for a car that I can not drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 08:13 PM   #4
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Do you have anything in writing/hardcopy/email from that service department and/or the name/date/time of the individual that told you that it was OK to drive? Did they mention any limitations or care that you needed to follow until repaired? Without this type of information, it may be difficult to "prove your case."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch081782 View Post
I have the same issue. I was told by the dealership that it would be ok to drive the car.

Have you found any solution to your problem? I need help because I am still paying for a car that I can not drive.
Appreciate 0