F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 Active Blind Spot Detection(Lane Change Warning) Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

11-18-2021, 05:06 AM   #111
RokasLTU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Volvo V50, BMW 318d

Hello,

It’s non foldable, automatic heated mirrors on my car now. Is there any aditional wiring needed to/from the mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 11:18 AM   #112
smartens
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series GT F34

HC2 not detected by E-Sys

Huge shoutout to @roxxor, your thread is incredible!

I just wanted to add something that was applicable to my specific case. My HC2 was not detected by E-Sys in any way until I coded it with Tool32. I saw people suggesting using Tool32 to fix this problem but I never found a specific step-by-step guide describing the problem and solution so I decided to write one.

Diagnosis
1) I did all the wiring as described in the original post.
2) I added 5AG to FA and coded all available modules.
3) Conducted initialization [Service Functions -> Body -> Central Gateway Module -> Intialise FlexRay] with ISTA (apparently ISTA and Rheingold is the same thing). The initialization was successful, I did not see any errors as mentioned in the original post.
4) Launched E-Sys and there was no HC2 module.

Solution
1) I added 5AG to FA and code the modules as per the original post.
2) Instead going to ISTA (Rheingold) to conduct an initialization of the FlexRay system, go to Tool32 and open the port for FlexRay communication:
2.1) Go to ZGW_01 -> steuern_flexray_pfad
2.2) Type in this argument: 0x03;0x01
2.3) Press F5 to execute
3) Go to E-Sys, now you should see the HC2 there. Add the CAFD file to the HC2 and code this module (as described in the original post).
4) Only at this point you are ready to go to ISTA (Rheingold) and conducted the initialization [Service Functions -> Body -> Central Gateway Module -> Intialise FlexRay]. *If you run this initialization before step 3 then the FlexRay would be closed and you'd need to start over from step 2.
5) Initialize the Lane Change Radar Units in ISTA as per the original instructions.

Other notes

a) Blind spot monitoring does NOT work without the Driver Assist Switch Buttons. Somewhere on forums I saw people saying that the blind spot monitoring would work without the Driver Assist Switch Buttons, this is incorrect.

b) You might already have the wiring between the Driver Assist Switch Buttons and FEM. I had it im my vehicle, it was taped to the headlight switch.
Appreciate 1
fe7565552.50
      03-21-2022, 05:01 PM   #113
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

is there any wiring changes to make to the mirror or is the wiring there already for the triangle. I have all options except this in the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 02:26 AM   #114
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox4 View Post
is there any wiring changes to make to the mirror or is the wiring there already for the triangle. I have all options except this in the mirror.
You need el. mirror no need to change anything else on wiring. But still you will need to swap new mirror with triangle
      03-24-2022, 05:13 PM   #115
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Anyone in the Los Angeles/OC area that could help with the coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #116
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

I can help you remotely if you have enet and windows pc
      04-05-2022, 07:30 AM   #117
dala
Registered
Rep
Drives: e30 e46 f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox4 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've got the two buttons for lane departure warning and collision warning, with blank triangles in the mirrors for the absent blind spot detection.

I'm wondering what I'm able to do about retrofitting the blind spot detection. I'm guessing I don't need to go through the whole process as OP.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 08:34 AM   #118
lutzman
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 07:21 AM   #119
artur 1234
Rep
Drives: bmw f31

Hello, I need help coding for the bmw f31 with 5AG options, but when coding, as described above, I add options to FA encode then go to tool32 open the port encode hc2 I go to ista update the flexra port and then update the radars, erase errors and after the encoding, two errors remain in sww incorrect encoding data and in ICM no communication with sww, after re-deleting sww lights up red no communication someone can advise something
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 09:12 AM   #120
bohdanua
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 2014

HC2 control unit fault

Hello everybody. I know that's pretty old post, but I need help. I have a F30 320i build date 08/2014. Previously I've successfully retrofited KAFAS and add electronics/vibro to steering wheel. The only missing part is a button for LCW, have only for FCW and lane departure. I did everything according to DIY

Additional things that was needed is to open 0x3 port by tool32 and SWW required programming according to Rheinghold, I did update to the latest I-step, CAFD accepted and SWW block is visible in Rheinghold.
But I got such errors:
ICM 480049 SWW interface: Signal invalid
SWW 481C92 SWW: internal control-unit fault
SWW 481C9A SWW: slave, internal fault

I'm able to run ecu functions from sww, it recognizes voltage both on master and slave and also knew about status of warning activation.
If I'm trying to force SWW diagnostics through ICM it will fire an error that LCW is malfunctioning, also triangle/wheel vibration activation throw "ECU REQUEST OUT OF RANGE".
Also SWW service activation function returns diag code which says that there no response from SWW.
FEM_GW, ICM updated to latest versions too.

I'm running out ideas, the only things that comes to my mind is that current blocks production date is from 2017 and my car is from 2014 so maybe they are not compatible.
Can somebody help? Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by bohdanua; 08-20-2022 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Missing data
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #121
artur 1234
Rep
Drives: bmw f31

Hello, I was able to solve the problem with the error wrong programming data after adding the 5AG option in the HC2 module, I just upgraded it to a newer version, and everything flies thanks for your willingness to help siki78 greetings.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 03:12 AM   #122
bohdanua
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohdanua View Post
Hello everybody. I know that's pretty old post, but I need help. I have a F30 320i build date 08/2014. Previously I've successfully retrofited KAFAS and add electronics/vibro to steering wheel. The only missing part is a button for LCW, have only for FCW and lane departure. I did everything according to DIY

Additional things that was needed is to open 0x3 port by tool32 and SWW required programming according to Rheinghold, I did update to the latest I-step, CAFD accepted and SWW block is visible in Rheinghold.
But I got such errors:
ICM 480049 SWW interface: Signal invalid
SWW 481C92 SWW: internal control-unit fault
SWW 481C9A SWW: slave, internal fault

I'm able to run ecu functions from sww, it recognizes voltage both on master and slave and also knew about status of warning activation.
If I'm trying to force SWW diagnostics through ICM it will fire an error that LCW is malfunctioning, also triangle/wheel vibration activation throw "ECU REQUEST OUT OF RANGE".
Also SWW service activation function returns diag code which says that there no response from SWW.
FEM_GW, ICM updated to latest versions too.

I'm running out ideas, the only things that comes to my mind is that current blocks production date is from 2017 and my car is from 2014 so maybe they are not compatible.
Can somebody help? Thanks.
Well, replacing blocks with earlier production dates helped, don't know if prevoius blocks were broken or because master was from 2017 (lci).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #123
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
I have the regular non-folding heated mirrors without LIN. Is there any way to simulate or bypass the LIN? Also, I do not have heated steering wheel nor the vibrator. Any way to rig a couple of signal LEDs and a buzzer to the LIN bus?

Last edited by fe7565; 10-08-2022 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #124
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So after some digging, in theory this is what could be done to avoid having to buy the expensive external mirrors with LCW:

Install only the master and slave radars, connect them to FEM. Use the LCW plug next to the headlights and make the contacts that the hardware LCW switch would make to: ON. Use a LIN analyzer and isolate/decode the radar codes and or the LIN code from the FEM that are being sent to the not-existing external LCW mirrors. Program that same LIN-analyzer or use a dedicated LIN-reader to listen to the codes and trigger a left or right signal LED and a buzzer.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 06:35 AM   #125
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Can someone confirm what the OP means by "Automatic Exterior Mirrors"? This is not an official BMW option verbatim. Meaning "power mirrors? Or "auto-folding mirrors"?

Basically, one should assume that as long as there is an exterior electronic mirror module in the mirror (see photo) the FEM-LIN will not "complain"? Even if no LED is associated with that module, one should be able to code it if you have the sensors connected properly (?).

Last edited by fe7565; 10-29-2022 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:43 PM   #126
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Basically, one should assume that as long as there is an exterior electronic mirror module in the mirror (see photo) the FEM-LIN will not "complain"? Even if no LED is associated with that module, one should be able to code it if you have the sensors connected properly (?).
Confirmation would be nice. Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 12:16 AM   #127
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
Confirmation would be nice. Did you ever figure this out?
I ended up buying for $300 a pair of used electronic mirrors with lane change warning already built in. In my case, my mirrors had no electronic module inside them at all, only electric motors. So I figured I pay the extra $50 per mirror for a used electronic mirror with the lane change warning built-in. I haven’t installed them yet as I am trying to troubleshoot some fuel control module issues.

My guess is still that not having mirror electronic modules with lane change warning LED outputs still work, but very likely they will throw some LIN bus errors. For sure, the car will be looking for the LED lights. The question is, are those LIN bus errors going to show up anywhere except inside ISTA?

So, if you’re not in a hurry, and committed to do this retrofit, even at the cost of am buying an additional pair of lane change warning exterior mirrors later….then you could try to install the two sensors and the flexray circuit only, and see if you can intercept the FEM output to the non-existent steering wheel shaker and/or mirror LEDs.

If you already have the steering wheel shaker motor, or the proper steering wheel module by default, I’m pretty sure the signal going to the shaker motor is not a LIN bus signal but a PWM or simple voltage . You should be able to confirm that in the wiring diagrams.

Last edited by fe7565; 02-22-2023 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 09:53 AM   #128
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Let me take a step back and as you what exactly you were trying to accomplish originally. Was it your goal to not install the supporting rings at all with the lane change indicator on them, and to only have the vibration generator work in conjunction with the FlexRay system?

My car is optioned with S430A, so I believe I already have a mirror electronics module (wanting to skip having to buy those).

It looks like SA options 430 and 5AG were mutually exclusive looking at realoem? So i'm wondering if its not possible to wire a mirror to both auto dip and lane change LED.

My goal would be to only buy the supporting bracket (part 51167302409) and enable both features via coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 12:22 AM   #129
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me take a step back and as you what exactly you were trying to accomplish originally. Was it your goal to not install the supporting rings at all with the lane change indicator on them, and to only have the vibration generator work in conjunction with the FlexRay system?

My car is optioned with S430A, so I believe I already have a mirror electronics module (wanting to skip having to buy those).

It looks like SA options 430 and 5AG were mutually exclusive looking at realoem? So i'm wondering if its not possible to wire a mirror to both auto dip and lane change LED.

My goal would be to only buy the supporting bracket (part 51167302409) and enable both features via coding.

Yes, originally wanted only the vibration motor. It should work with a properly flex-rayed sensor pair, but very likely there will be hidden or CID display or even dash light LIN bus error codes because of the missing LED lights (and in my case the missing mirror electronics modules) .

I checked for used supporting ring/brackets, but they are not available, or the price is very close or more than an entire side mirror with LED lane change warning lights. So I ended up getting the entire mirror. If you already have the mirror electronics, then you could get the supporting brackets with the LED, but you will see how ridiculous the price is for a piece of plastic with an LED vs an entire side mirror with LED for the the same or less price (used). I think that's why the OP may have also decided to buy the entire side mirror pair instead of the bracket and electronics, etc separately. Yes, autodip should come with a lane change (LED) version of the side mirror by default.

For expectations, this is what I paid on Ebay after some extensive bottom-fishing:

- pair of LED (lane change) side mirrors - $300 (more realistic $180 each)
- steering wheel motor, module and harness : $85 ( I got lucky. more realistic: $60+ $40 +25)
- pair of sensors - $60 (more realistic $100)
- pair of sensor shields _ $30 (my came with these already, for same price as without as some Ebay sellers do not care to separate them)
- pair of sensor brackets: $40 (can get these new for about the same, I waited 5 weeks from Latvia...not worth the wait)
- sensor connectors - Aliexpress $10-14 shipped

The switch already has the wiring inside from the factory behind the headlight switch, but I will wire it up to the parking switch in the console since I do not have a parking sensor. Will change the "P" to the lane change symbol, and run the wires to the lane change harness behind the headlight switch. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1974524

Last edited by fe7565; 02-22-2023 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #130
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, originally wanted only the vibration motor. It should work with a properly flex-rayed sensor pair, but very likely there will be hidden or CID display or even dash light LIN bus error codes because of the missing LED lights (and in my case the missing mirror electronics modules) .
Yes, agree.

Quote:
I checked for used supporting ring/brackets, but they are not available, or the price is very close or more than an entire side mirror with LED lane change warning lights. So I ended up getting the entire mirror. If you already have the mirror electronics, then you could get the supporting brackets with the LED, but you will see how ridiculous the price is for a piece of plastic with an LED vs an entire side mirror with LED for the the same or less price (used). I think that's why the OP may have also decided to buy the entire side mirror pair instead of the bracket and electronics, etc separately. Yes, autodip should come with a lane change (LED) version of the side mirror by default.

For expectations, this is what I paid on Ebay after some extensive bottom-fishing:

- pair of LED (lane change) side mirrors - $300 (more realistic $180 each)
- steering wheel motor, module and harness : $85 ( I got lucky. more realistic: $60+ $40 +25)
- pair of sensors - $60 (more realistic $100)
- pair of sensor shields _ $30 (my came with these already, for same price as without as some Ebay sellers do not care to separate them)
- pair of sensor brackets: $40 (can get these new for about the same, I waited 5 weeks from Latvia...not worth the wait)
- sensor connectors - Aliexpress $10-14 shipped
I am able to find the supporting ring / bracket, but its unclear to me if the LED is included in such fixtures. For example- https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/ Looks very much like it doesn't have the LED or associating wiring.

EDIT: I found this after some more searching https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51167349208/ , but perhaps not compatible with F30 mirrors? Do you know if the supporting ring would come with the LED? I Don't mind having to make a custom harness to attach.

Quote:
The switch already has the wiring inside from the factory behind the headlight switch, but I will wire it up to the parking switch in the console since I do not have a parking sensor. Will change the "P" to the lane change symbol, and run the wires to the lane change harness behind the headlight switch. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1974524
That is a neat idea!

Last edited by rlesko; 03-04-2023 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 06:33 PM   #131
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a neat idea!
The support bracket/ring doesn’t come with the LED if you buy OEM like ECS Tuning. You would need that LED module that you also linked. But be careful, because some of the other F series BMWs also have a similar LED module and that one is mounted in a different location with a different support bracket.

In my case, instead of trying to put it together part by part costing me around $400 (used) because I would need the proper module, the LED, and the bracket and the wiring, I decided just to buy a pair of used mirrors with already everything in it for $300.

If you are patient and you don’t mind bottom feeding for a couple of weeks or more on EBay, you might be able to pick up one with the camera and LED for about $400 a pair. I have no need for a camera.
      03-04-2023, 07:12 PM   #132
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The support bracket/ring doesn’t come with the LED if you buy OEM like ECS Tuning. You would need that LED module that you also linked. But be careful, because some of the other F series BMWs also have a similar LED module and that one is mounted in a different location with a different support bracket.

In my case, instead of trying to put it together part by part costing me around $400 (used) because I would need the proper module, the LED, and the bracket and the wiring, I decided just to buy a pair of used mirrors with already everything in it for $300.

If you are patient and you don’t mind bottom feeding for a couple of weeks or more on EBay, you might be able to pick up one with the camera and LED for about $400 a pair. I have no need for a camera.
Yea, thats the crux of the issue. I can't find the F3x blind spot LED...I have the S430A option so I don't want to buy full assemblies if can be avoided...alas I am relatively confident that the F3x LED isn't sold separately, but maybe it can be wired up? Upon further inspection it doesn't seem so much like something that is separate, but rather directly wired onto the module.

Some car electrical cables, a pack of LEDs, and two supporting brackets would be less than $150 and I wouldn't have to buy entire assemblies second hand.

Also makes sense to consider if I ever want to attempt a surround view retrofit. I think not, but you never know...
Appreciate 0