F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > End of warranty check and alloy wheels white worm?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i EBII

End of warranty check and alloy wheels white worm?

My car was out of warranty on 1st March so in late February I booked an end of warranty check with Williams Manchester. At the mid/end of March whilst washing my car I noticed some white worms (corrosion) under the lacquer on all 4 of my 442m's. I reported this to Williams Manchester in April but they said nothing can be done during lockdown.

I managed to book for car in this week for Williams to inspect them and to make a warranty/goodwill claim. BMW UK responded quickly, offering to cover 80% of the parts. Williams informed me it would cost me the 20% (c.£500) plus 3 hours labour (c.£500) - total just over a £1k.

I was disappointed considering the wheels have no kerbing and the car is "just" out of warranty, low mileage (16k) with FBMWSH, owned from new. Williams and BMW UK told me that the offer is non-negotiable, and there was was no further escalation path.

I tried to argue with Williams that they should have picked this up during the end of warranty checks - they informed me that wheel checks were excluded! I'm thinking this is BS but I have nothing to prove so. Also I made a point that they white worms couldn't have developed so quickly, between end of warranty check and when I discovered them.

I'm after some advice on how to take this one on.
1) Should end of warranty checks include alloy wheels? If so is this documented anywhere?
2) Is there any evidence that the 442m's have defects?
3) I paid the car deposit using a credit card but I'm sure the car is not covered by section 75 as it's over the limit.
4) 3 hours labour seems excessive - is this reasonable?

I'm not sure what else I can do other than try the motor ombusdman. Will they assist with something out of warranty? My arguement is I expect the wheels to last more than 3 years corrosion free.

Appreciate any advice.

Update: I've emailed UK CEO to see if this can be escalated. Fingers crossed some good news.

Last edited by wlightning; 06-27-2020 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

I think that just out of warranty would mean that's as high as they go instead of fully covering it and I think that's the most anyone has got...I might be wrong.

If it was within warranty then I think people have had them replaced at no cost. Most people have had to point out the wheel check to be done and I'm not sure if it would be included or not, guess that's very subjective and it might be worth asking other dealers if this is done?

It's a very common problem on diamond cut wheels, OEM part or not and I'd be very surprised if they lasted a year without any issue. Most refurb places offer a 3-6 month warranty on them and I've known a few not to do them anymore due to the worming issue.

If you're not happy with the labour cost, can you ask them to supply them and you'll get them fitted? Part will still be under warranty, but might have an issue if you come to claim and they weren't fitted by the stealer. 3 hours is very excessive IMO - maybe 15 minutes a corner maximum at a decent tyre place.

Just my view.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
3 hours labour to swap them over

I think they should honour it and replace them FOC.

The problem you have is the replacement set will likely suffer the same results.

I'd just get them powder coated silver - it will last much longer - see if they are willing to contribute to it?
Appreciate 1
DC7832.50
      06-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

I think not paying out 100% because you was one month over is harsh. However the harsh reality is that every company on the planet are trying to conserve cash and I think it'll be the best offer you'll get. It's such a shame that your warranty ended before the 14th of march, as BMW have extended all warranties till 30 of June.

However 3 hours to change the tyres and valves over seems a bit expensive. Best thing you can do here is randomly ring up for an itemized quote for a new tyre and see what labour charge they quote and compare it.

At £1k total cost to you I'd also consider a refurb. You'll have the same problem in a few years time, if you're planning on keeping it that long. At least if you're making a contribution to the new set you'll the 2 years warranty on them. If they change them FOC under warranty you won't get the 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
3 hours labour to swap them over
Yep, and I was told it's not negotiable. I almost chocked when I heard 3 hours. 4 tyres including fitting probably isn't much more.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D Xdrive M Sport

Diamond Cut Refurbs of Bolton will take the tyres off the rims, strip the rim, powder coat and laquer the whole rim, refit the tyre and balance the wheel for £85 per rim,in 24 hours, ask for Andrew

The job they do is amazing, it maybe cheaper because they don't have to Diamond cut any damage from your rim, in any case it will be a better job than the dealer who will probably only do the face, at a fraction of the cost,

I had mine done and they are fabulous
      06-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
Sgm123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I had 3 of mine replaced this week free of charge at end of warranty check can’t have one rule for one and not the other. My mate at work had two of his this week as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
Sgm123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

3hrs is rubbish as well my wheels didn’t arrive to bmw until after 3 and car was ready for collection by 4:30. Tyre shops do all four in half an hour.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #9
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Mine was 6 months out of warranty, but was only one wheel (I had another wheel replaced within the warranty period) BMW replaced my one 442 wheel free of charge under goodwill. The dealership charged me £100 labour to fit. I was happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 04:42 AM   #10
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu101 View Post
I had 3 of mine replaced this week free of charge at end of warranty check can’t have one rule for one and not the other. My mate at work had two of his this week as well.
Yes they can and they do.

I am sick to the back teeth of my stealer not backing the customer.

I even offered contribution, they wouldn't even escalate it to BMW, result, 3 year old car, one wheel with white worm. one customer who will never buy another BMW (straw, camels back).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:11 AM   #11
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

I raised this at end if warranty check. It was mild admittedly, they didn’t want to know. Over a year later they are getting bad. Ironically they always point out the one wheel that one minor bit of kerbing whenever they do a video health check to up sell a reverb. Never mention the rusting centre tho!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #12
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Yes they can and they do.

I am sick to the back teeth of my stealer not backing the customer.

I even offered contribution, they wouldn't even escalate it to BMW, result, 3 year old car, one wheel with white worm. one customer who will never buy another BMW (straw, camels back).
I've not heard/read much good about my local dealer (Williams Manchester) but I only go there as it's my closest. They simply weren't interested, just gave me BMW customer services number and told me to sort it out myself. Either they thought they'd get an easy £1k out of me or couldn't be bothered.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Stevie View Post
I raised this at end if warranty check. It was mild admittedly, they didn’t want to know. Over a year later they are getting bad. Ironically they always point out the one wheel that one minor bit of kerbing whenever they do a video health check to up sell a reverb. Never mention the rusting centre tho!
Interesting. I would have thought they get paid by BMW UK for the warranty work. I was shocked when Williams told me alloy wheel checks are not part of the end of warranty check. It's easy money for them with the amount of wheel issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #14
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

I'd ring your dealer tomorrow and ask them how much it would cost to buy and fit a new tyre.

See if they quote a hour to fit.

And if they don't call your dealer again and said you'd like to 'discuss' the 1hr per tyre labour.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:27 AM   #15
ALBEE
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Coupe Ind + 96 M3

Absolutely appalling customer support from BMW!
3 hrs+ to fit and balance 4 wheels, no way!
No wonder people use 'independants'!!
Personally I would consider refurbing the wheels and attempt to pass on the cost to them. If the say it invalidates 'warranty', it clearly does not cover the wheels anyway!!
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:17 AM   #16
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

It's such a common problem. Diamond cut is not compatible with UK roads and weather conditions.

Get them powder coated.

Depending on the level of damage from the corrosion (white worm) the wheel can be diamond cut a maximum of 3 times. After that you'll have to have them painted or powder coated.

I had mine repaired within my 3 year warranty and BMW said after that they wouldn't support any repairs. On an aftermarket warranty even if it is a BMW one I doubt they'll support a claim. May be good will if you're lucky but by the time they bend you over and lube you... you'd be better off getting them refurbished out of your own pocket without their good will.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #17
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I had a response from BMW UK this afternoon. Despite the CEO getting involved, BMW UK will not change their decision. "The decision is final" was their exact words.

I have asked Customer Services to provide me the end of warranty checklist to see if wheels are included. If they are, I could ask BMW UK to review the case again but there is no guarantee they will - again another shock.

Thanks to john lummis for Diamond Cut Refurbs details. If nothing changes then I think that's what I'll do when the wheels get worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:48 AM   #18
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

An update on this ongoing saga.

- Been back and forth with BMW UK, they are not willing to budge on the 80% parts contribution. Case closed.
- Mid July: My dealership offered to pay for the labour costs (very kind of them) meaning I only paid for the parts. Booked in for fitting 1st week of August.
- A couple of days before the fitting appointment I was told the parts would not arrive in time, so had to book for the day after.
- Dropped my car off on the rescheduled date, went home, only to be told about half an hour later that the new wheels arrived damaged - boxes looked like they had fallen off a lorry. Had to reschedule for the next day whilst another new set were ordered.

This is when it all gets worse....
- New alloys fitted (still in 1st week of August). Was raining when I picked up the car, so I waited until later in the evening to have a good look at them (and to take some photos) - OMG all 4 had chunks missing/damage around the wheel cap area. Quickly emailed the service manager who was puzzled but agreed to order a new replacement set. I will inspect them before fitted.
- Mid August: 4 new wheel have arrived but 1 had slight damage (possibly manufacturing issue) around the M Sport badge area. Refused this so another was ordered.
- Late August: all looked good, wheels were fitted. Got home (raining again) but still immediately took photos of the wheel.
- Mid September: Checking tyre pressures and noticed that one of the wheel had damage around the hub cap. This time less severe but still not good. Immediately emailed the Service Manager who said he had no idea what's happened but give him a week and he will see what options there are. I attached photos of the wheel 10 minutes after I picked up the car and the time I noticed the damage. Both show the same thing, just that I didn't pick up the damage at the time of the car.
- Attached photos showing damage. The photo with rain was taken 10 minutes after picking up the car. Zoom in and the same damage can be seen.

- Now: 2 weeks since the last email I have not had and response from the Service Manager despite emailing and phoning him for updates. Each time I've phoned he's not at his desk and not returned calls. No email response even though I've got read receipts.

How to proceed?
- I'm not sure what options I should take?
Persist with contacting the Service Manager,
Email the Dealer Principal (if I can get his/her email - tried Googling, nothing),
Storm into the dealership and see them,
Section 75 claim (I paid with credit card),
Small Claims Court?

Please advise.

I only speculating but I the dealership will say between the time of picking up the car and discovering the damage (even the 10 minutes with the 1st photo) something must have caused the damage. I guess this is hard for me to prove one way or another but I do believe the damage is likely to come from the wheel balancing machine. Do I have a strong case here or am I wasting my time? I seriously can't imagine anything causing that type of damage within 10 minutes of motorway driving.

All I know is I no longer have any confidence with this dealership. I am so f**king p**sed off with them! My wife has an issue with her MINI and I've booked in with a difference group, over 30 mins away where as this one less than 10 mins.

Now I do regret going the new wheels options....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:57 AM   #19
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Attached photos of damage to the first new set of wheel, fitted early August.

Yes, all 4 wheel were damaged but I no have no idea how. Similar damage to one of my latest wheels. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:02 AM   #20
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Latest: within 5 minutes (exactly 5 minutes as well) of posting my first update the Service Manager has come back to me to say a new wheel will be ordered and fitted. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:12 AM   #21
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

I would have said that one of their mechanics has zero mechanical sympathy when putting the centres in and doesn't line them up properly, or their wheel balancing machine has burrs or something on it that's damaging the lacquer when it's tightened up. But that damage doesn't look quite like either, it almost looks like a hammer hit.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 04:56 AM   #22
RoryD
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Just checked mine and I have corrosion around the centre caps on the rear wheels only. Sadly not on the front that I managed to kerb!

I'm still in warranty so contacting the dealer about a claim!

Cheers
Rory
Appreciate 1