F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Crank but no start/ Battery discharging / Multiple B+ shorts
Extreme Powerhouse

01-25-2023, 01:18 PM   #1
Nbryant7796
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335

Crank but no start/ Battery discharging / Multiple B+ shorts

I could use some insight from anyone who can help me pinpoint the root cause of all these short circuits. Checked dme connections, Replaced and registered battery, and checked all fuses. Is this due to a faulty IBS sensor? Battery Distribution box? Or is my FEM or DMe faulty? Recently replaced the fuel control module because it was fried.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 02:16 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Are you sure you are not missing a ground cable, or having a lose cable? Or created a short to ground? The throttle valve potentiometer seems to pop up in the errors. What amperage is the battery pulling when the car is not running but ignition on? When idle?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 03:05 PM   #3
Nbryant7796
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335

Checked all power and ground cables in the engine bay and didn't see any corrosion or loose connections. The battery will initially read full charge after a charge (obviously), but will completely die with having just accessories on after 15 Mins. I'm not sure what could possibly be causing a short to ground. Didn't see any torn/chaffed wiring harness or torn wires that could be possibly grounding out to any metal and I've checked every wire and connector in the engine bay countless times. Every sensor and dme connections is firmy connected and dint see any fluid seeping into any of them either. I'm really stuck with trying to figure this out
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 04:48 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Alternator?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 11:00 AM   #5
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbryant7796 View Post
Checked all power and ground cables in the engine bay and didn't see any corrosion or loose connections. The battery will initially read full charge after a charge (obviously), but will completely die with having just accessories on after 15 Mins. I'm not sure what could possibly be causing a short to ground. Didn't see any torn/chaffed wiring harness or torn wires that could be possibly grounding out to any metal and I've checked every wire and connector in the engine bay countless times. Every sensor and dme connections is firmy connected and dint see any fluid seeping into any of them either. I'm really stuck with trying to figure this out
Yes, is the alternator putting out over 14V? What is the resting voltage of the battery when nothing is running?

Any way you can try to read the amps that the battery is pulling? Going from fully charged to depleted in 15 mins for a good battery seems impossible unless there is a short.

Just a long shot: there iis a master ground cable below the engine near the transmission. I saw a video on YouTube (will see if I can find it) where that cable was worn and frayed and caused similar issues.