F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > iPhone charge cable stuck behind dashboard trim
ARMA SPEED

01-29-2023, 05:20 PM   #1
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

I was trying to copy the iPhone charging cable management that Thicc Whips uses on his F30 - you remove the piece of trim below the head unit faceplate and fish your phone charge cable down the gap while taped to a hanger and it comes down into the passenger seat area near where the hidden 12volt connection is below the glove box.

But I didn’t use the hanger - first I was just feeling around w the cable, and it got stuck (the lightning connector portion is stuck, not the usb male). It’s stuck stuck. Pulling it in the outward direction doesn’t work at all. I’m trying to think of a way to push it further in, that way it dislodges itself from whatever piece it’s stuck on.

Has anyone ever done anything like this or does anyone have any ideas? I’ve accepted that I may need to cut the wire and shove it down in there and forget it. But would be nice to not have to do that. I already pulled out the navigation/cd player of the head unit but that doesn’t help- this gap is outside that area. I think the whole glovebox area might need to be removed to take any more plastics off to make this gap big enough to reach down.

The cable in question is the white braided cable on the lower right of the photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 05:30 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

I'm not sure how to get the cable fed further since you said you already removed the head unit and that didn't work.

If you can get the cable dislodged tape the lightning connector to a coat hanger and be sure you wrap enough tape so the lightning connector is parallel with the straightened hanger and so that the connector won't get stuck on anything (wrap the entire connector) and remove the head unit and feed it from the footwell up through the spot you're currently at. You have to feed the coat hanger and cable between the plastic trim and the carpet in the passenger footwell where the left knee would be. This is the way I've done it and it's pretty easy. Eventually you will see the cable and coat hanger show in the bottom trim area beneath the head unit area (should pop up between the head unit area and above that black plastic piece) and you can pull the rest of the cable through after untaping the hanger. I have an NBT Evo head unit and it's smaller than your head unit so there's empty space below the AC/radio trim and doesn't have that black plastic piece.

Good luck hope you get it unstuck.

Last edited by eff32fl; 01-29-2023 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2023, 07:12 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Remove that large trim piece above the passenger foot area. It's not difficult, find a youtube video on how to change the cabin air filter to see how.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 03:48 PM   #4
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Remove that large trim piece above the passenger foot area. It's not difficult, find a youtube video on how to change the cabin air filter to see how.
This was the way
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8215.50