F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > RIP Ol Girl. (Mach 1, was her name)
Studio RSR

01-27-2023, 08:04 AM   #23
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

As I sit on a 2 hour train, to head out to Yonkers and pick up my 2020 M340i, I have been lurking around the forum here. Something I noticed:

THIS area of the forum is very busy, and full of great people with lots of support and an amazing community that I have been lucky to gain a lot of knowledge from.

Unfortunately, as I move on . the other forums don't seem to be as popular. Much less going on there. Not to mention, I have seen many disgusting posts where members go at each other's throats.

I will miss this f36 group tremendously!!!!

Thank you for a world of knowledge on my previous, and first BMW (Mach 1). I am hooked on the driving experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #24
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Be sure to come back and update this thread with updates to the new whip! Gotta see some pics and an initial thoughts and plans!
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #25
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoTheClown View Post
....She saved my life. Literally created a safe bubble for me. I walked away from this, with only a small scratch on my pinky. That's it. I should have been severely injured . . or worse...

So glad you are okay. Thank you for sharing your story and thankful amazement that your car saved your life.

It's a feeling my wife and I know all too well. We too were saved by BMW engineering. The experts said that we should not have made it. What a sobering thought that is. That was 10 years ago and we thank our lucky stars every single day.

It's too bad your baby is gone, I"m sure you will enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 01:00 PM   #26
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem.plus_440gc View Post
Be sure to come back and update this thread with updates to the new whip! Gotta see some pics and an initial thoughts and plans!
Here She Is . . Took a train out to Yonkers on Friday and then Uber to the BMW of Mamaroneck. Was a very small dealership, but they were very pleasant to work with throughout the whole ordeal. I wanted a 2020 M340i xDrive that was CPO and still had some factory warranty on it. They had the right BMW.

Thoughts: I miss my 440i GC. That girl will forever be my baby. Driving the M340i is a lot of fun. It's way more comfortable and 'updated' in the cockpit. The ambient lighting is a DREAM haha. Tons of upgraded features that I did not have in the GC. Living in upstate NY, having a remote start is so important. The GC did not have one. M340i does.

Driving the GC was a blast, especially after I had MPPSK installed. WOW. It was just so much fun. I never turned on the radio, in 9 months of MPPSK. The sound was addicting to me. The sound of the M340i is . . . lackluster compared to MPPSK, but a huge upgrade from . . . a stock 440i GC. It pops and gurgles a bit, but mostly just when you are slowing down to almost a complete stop . that's when I can hear it sputter a bit. Wish they would of done more on that. . . as I see there is no Premium exhaust upgrade for the G20.

Comfort and Driving . . the M340i wins, for me. I like the suspension and the aggressive nature of the M340i. It revs higher (or feels like it does). The M340i and the 440i GC with MPPSK have almost the same HP. I think the M340i might be about 10 higher lol. And they both do 0 to 60 about the same. But the M340i gets there a lot smoother (or so it feels). I feel like the M340i is a god at acceleration.

Both feel as if I am driving an Adult Size Go-Kart, which I LOVE haha.

Here is a pic of the new M340i.

First thing I will do (once we get weather above 60F) is REMOVE those ugly fake M badges from the font fenders. OMG . . I was so excited when I picked up the car, that I did not notice them until I was home. They are hideous. When we get a warm day, I will goo remove them !!!

I have already ordered a High Kick CF rear spoiler for her. The same one that I had for the GC, but designed for the M340i trunk. I loved the profile of the 440i with that spoiler.

I am trying to make an appointment to get the rear window and the rear side panel windows tinted dark. NY has some strange and stupid tint laws (like an SUV can be fully tinted on the rear passenger windows, but a sedan cannot . . explain???)

And I will order the Black Out Grille from BMW.

Maybe some side skirts eventually.

I will probably not do the full CF trim on the inside of this one. I did that in the GC. Was a lot of $$ and looked amazing . but . . I don't feel it was worth the cost.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-31-2023, 01:23 PM   #27
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Seeing the accident photo raised the hair on my back. Sad to see the car totaled but it did its duty to protect you. Most importantly, we're glad you made it out unscathed.

Enjoy the new ride and definitely get a quality 2+ channel 4K dashcam as one of the first purchases!
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 01:40 PM   #28
Samir72
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i

Reading this thread is an emotional experience, thinking that you made that decision to avoid the family and take that hit head on. I just wanted to say I hope karma comes back to bless you.

And please play the lotto because you are due big win bro.

RIP Mach 1 you took one for the team.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 01:53 PM   #29
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
New car looks great man! Best of luck!
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 07:15 PM   #30
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Do Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic 35% all around. It looks very classy, not gangsta like you’re hiding from the cops and it gets the heat reduction job done!! https://llumar.com/na/en/automotive/...aone-pinnacle/

If you decide the exhaust just isn’t enough there are aftermarket options https://x-ph.com/awe-exhaust-suite-f...2x-m340i-m440/
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-31-2023 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 08:09 PM   #31
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

The problem in New York is that they recently changed HOW they check window Tint. Cops no longer pull you over for tint. Instead, they are mandated to check your windows as part of your annual inspection. And any tint on a sedan (other than the actual rear window) will fail the inspection. It sucks here. Meanwhile, Vans and SUV's can have all the tint they want on all of the rear windows. . . I don't get it. what sense it makes.

So, anyway . . . On my GC, I tinted the Rear and the 2 small side panel windows. And I got away with it (the side panel windows). Always passed inspection. I will follow the same pattern here. The only way you can get away with tinting other windows, in NY, is if you know someone to pass your inspection. I need some new friends in the business lol. I don't know someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Do Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle ceramic 35% all around. It looks very classy, not gangsta like you’re hiding from the cops and it gets the heat reduction job done!! https://llumar.com/na/en/automotive/...aone-pinnacle/

If you decide the exhaust just isn’t enough there are aftermarket options https://x-ph.com/awe-exhaust-suite-f...2x-m340i-m440/
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 08:21 PM   #32
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post

Ohhhhh . . and I do like that exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 09:46 PM   #33
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The problem in New York is that they recently changed HOW they check window Tint. Cops no longer pull you over for tint. Instead, they are mandated to check your windows as part of your annual inspection. And any tint on a sedan (other than the actual rear window) will fail the inspection. It sucks here. Meanwhile, Vans and SUV's can have all the tint they want on all of the rear windows. . . I don't get it. what sense it makes.

So, anyway . . . On my GC, I tinted the Rear and the 2 small side panel windows. And I got away with it (the side panel windows). Always passed inspection. I will follow the same pattern here. The only way you can get away with tinting other windows, in NY, is if you know someone to pass your inspection. I need some new friends in the business lol. I don't know someone.
This is from the state of New York DMV website. It says 30% tint with 70% light transmission is allowed. Llumar offers tint with those specs. https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-31-2023, 10:04 PM   #34
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Wow that was a big crash, and it is good to know your bimmer did its job to protect u.

Congrats on the new ride! The G20 is BMW's "I do not want to hear that shit anymore" reply to those who said BMW lost it way, you will enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 11:37 PM   #35
F36Vader
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

Wow!!
Sorry to see her go like that… but glad you’re alive and well.

M340i is a beast! Im confident your next build will be just as good or better
Should be a lot of new aftermarket options coming to G20 this year.
You’ll be missed on this side of the forum.

✌️

2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe - Black Sapphire, M Sport, MPPK, MPE
RIP; 2015 C63 AMG Coupe - Obsidian Black, 507 Edition
RIP; 2009 335i Sedan - Titanium Silver, Sport pkg, Premium pkg, FBO
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #36
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

OP, looks like the structure behaved as it should for a modern car in a crash.

Call me a bloodthirsty thug, but my rule, dashcam or no, is ALWAYS hit the person cutting you off. Other rules are aim for axles on any kind of truck across the road, Don't rely on the Mansfield bars saving you, and shattering their axle will stop them driving away.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 12:50 PM   #37
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

That's a LOT to process in 2.5 seconds. But, I get you. Point is well taken. The way the laws are written (for insurance claims) . . it's can appear more logical to drive with that mindset.

Truth is . . .regardless to who at fault, My instinct took over . . .and there was no thought. I started to veer out of my lane to the left, to avoid the truck. I saw a family in a minivan . . FCK!! Instinct was the only thing in play. Instinct made me change course and go head on to the truck. And I won the lottery that day, simply by walking away from it all. Karma paid me back. We are even now. Because, realistically . . I was not supposed to walk away form that crash. Even the part where I began to veer into the left lane was miraculous in itself. It was the only reason I am alive. Because it put the lift gate in the passenger seat, simply due to my car being slightly to the left.

Anyways . . PEACE to everyone here on F36. Was my home for a year and a half. Learned so much! Met some of you in person at different dealers in the NE. Really great community!

On with the SHOW . . . I have the new rear spoiler going on the G20 tomorrow. I already took off the fake badges on the front fenders (they were hideous lol), de-badged the xDrive (I prefer the clean rear). Rear windows are scheduled to be tinted in about 2 weeks. HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Been a Blast here. Thanks to everyone for helping me learn to love BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
OP, looks like the structure behaved as it should for a modern car in a crash.

Call me a bloodthirsty thug, but my rule, dashcam or no, is ALWAYS hit the person cutting you off. Other rules are aim for axles on any kind of truck across the road, Don't rely on the Mansfield bars saving you, and shattering their axle will stop them driving away.
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2023, 07:04 PM   #38
schnellwagen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i SULEV

Quote:
Can I just say . . . she was my very first BMW. 2018 440i xDrive GC, with MPPSK.

She saved my life. Literally created a safe bubble for me. I walked away from this, with only a small scratch on my pinky. That's it. I should have been severely injured . . or worse.

Got cut off, and ended up sliding under a Box Truck. I still can't believe it. I never loved a car like that haha. For real. She got so much attention.

I miss that rumble. The pops. Bangs. The insurance valued her at a bit more than what I owed the bank. So, without gap insurance here, I was happy for that.

First, I had set out to find another 440i to replace her. But, I had spent so much making the GC MINE . . the CF spoiler and inside trim, the sport rockers, the $4k MPPSK. To be honest . . I don't have it in me to do all that again. And finding one with MPPSK already installed? Needle in a haystack and impossible to know.

But alas. It's been a week. I have been searching every day. What BMW can give me that same happiness? Great sound. Fast. Furious lol. Because, at this point, anything less . . . is a Honda (not that there is anything wrong with that haha).

Well . . .this will be my final post in the F36 GC forums. I have just put a down payment on a 2020 M340i x Drive. Bank took the loan. And I will probably have her within a few days or so.

Meet . . Mach 2
HOLY SHIT. I can't believe you made it out not only alive, but uninjured. So glad to hear you're doing well and you got a M340i. By the way, I'm not well versed on the insurance laws of New York, but isn't this considered a hit and run instead of at fault collision?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:05 PM   #39
khanisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 S2k, 19 430i GC

oh man, that's lucky!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 10:41 PM   #40
SquareWheels
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2023 M550i  [10.00]
Wow, so sorry to read this, it was nice to meet you on the day your MPPSK was installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 11:22 AM   #41
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

This is complicated in that the vehicle that caused me to lose control of my vehicle did not actually hit me. She swerved into my lane and then right back out . . putting me on a defense situation. Had I hit her, she would be liable, but since I did what makes logical sense in defensive driving and avoided her . . she is no longer liable. Because we never hit. And I am liable for the truck that I went under, avoiding her.

Life is great !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellwagen View Post
HOLY SHIT. I can't believe you made it out not only alive, but uninjured. So glad to hear you're doing well and you got a M340i. By the way, I'm not well versed on the insurance laws of New York, but isn't this considered a hit and run instead of at fault collision?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 11:27 AM   #42
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheels View Post
Wow, so sorry to read this, it was nice to meet you on the day your MPPSK was installed.
Hahah . . YES! It was a pleasure to meet you. Seems like forever ago! That was one of the best days of my BLW life . . getting MPPSK!

The 2020 M340i has some great sounding exhaust, but it does not hold a candle to MPPSK. I have looked, and it appears BMW does not offer an upgrade like MPPSK for the M340i, because the exhaust is already a version of M Performance.

It pops and burbles some but not like the MPPSK. It usually only makes quality noise when it's slowing down to a stop, very hard to make pops and bangs in motion. Bit of a let down, but still nicer then most stock. And glad I got a 2020, because I believe they toned down the noise of the M340i exhaust starting in 2021.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 11:48 AM   #43
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Sobering thread.

Raising a toast to every engineer that worked on OP’s vehicle so that he could walk away from this (difficult to imagine) crash.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #44
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

CHEERS to THAT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Sobering thread.

Raising a toast to every engineer that worked on OP’s vehicle so that he could walk away from this (difficult to imagine) crash.
Appreciate 0