F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charge pipe temp sensor connector
Extreme Powerhouse

02-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
-KingJames-
Private
Rep
Drives: F34 GT

Charge pipe temp sensor connector

Hey guys, I have a 2017 F34 B46.

I need help finding the part number to this connector. It's the connector that connects to the temperature sensor on the charge pipe. Does BMW sell the connector/adaptor by itself? I know they sell the whole wiring harness but I don't need the whole wiring harness, just a connector.

I've attached two pictures I found online.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
-KingJames-
Private
Rep

I believe I found it. P/N 61139291135. I hope thats it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

At a quick glance I'd assume it's a member of the TE MCON family (also similar connectors made by a number of other manufacturers, but MCON is easiest for regular people to buy). But I can't see the picture very well, so I'm not sure. It almost looks like the high temp/vibration version used on the N20 HPFP.

Are there any markings on the connector? Add larger, brighter pictures of the connector and esp of any markings. Often there will be two sets, one related to the BMW part number and one related to the original manufacturer number (for example on the N20 I saw a lot of BMW and Hirschmann part #s).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
-KingJames-
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSmith View Post
At a quick glance I'd assume it's a member of the TE MCON family (also similar connectors made by a number of other manufacturers, but MCON is easiest for regular people to buy). But I can't see the picture very well, so I'm not sure. It almost looks like the high temp/vibration version used on the N20 HPFP.

Are there any markings on the connector? Add larger, brighter pictures of the connector and esp of any markings. Often there will be two sets, one related to the BMW part number and one related to the original manufacturer number (for example on the N20 I saw a lot of BMW and Hirschmann part #s).
I'm missing the connector. The pictures I've attached are from online sources. If I had it I could easily look at the p/n /markings and find a replacement.

Where can you buy MCON housings/connectors?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep

I think you found the right part. I think the original standard is USCAR 1.2 or maybe VDA 1.2. Tons of companies make versions compatible with it, including TE (MCON), Molex, etc. You can get TE MCON connectors from mouser.com or auto-click.co.uk, but the standard connector (say, TE 1-1718643-1) doesn't have that step on the end that you have in those pictures and that the part you found has. That looks like a variant from the original spec. The risk is the terminals won't fit the housing; plus even within the spec there are two types of terminals (lance-less and clean body) and they require different connector housings.

I think the original part is SealStar HMK 1.2, part #806-026-541. But I haven't found where to order it.
https://shop.hirschmann-automotive.c...tar_HMK_EN.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
-KingJames-
Private
Rep

OK i got the connector but it seems now I also need new pin terminals. Anyone know the type of pin terminals needed for those wires and connector?

Below is a picture of the broken pins:

Anyone know how new unbroken wire pins for that socket housing are supposed to look like?
Attached Images

Last edited by -KingJames-; 03-03-2021 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
-KingJames-
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think you found the right part. I think the original standard is USCAR 1.2 or maybe VDA 1.2. Tons of companies make versions compatible with it, including TE (MCON), Molex, etc. You can get TE MCON connectors from mouser.com or auto-click.co.uk, but the standard connector (say, TE 1-1718643-1) doesn't have that step on the end that you have in those pictures and that the part you found has. That looks like a variant from the original spec. The risk is the terminals won't fit the housing; plus even within the spec there are two types of terminals (lance-less and clean body) and they require different connector housings.

I think the original part is SealStar HMK 1.2, part #806-026-541. But I haven't found where to order it.
https://shop.hirschmann-automotive.c...tar_HMK_EN.pdf

Oh wow you found the OE. Do you know which type of terminals are required for the socket? I tried using some old terminals I had when I repaired my ambient temp sensor on my e46 but those didn't fit correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #8
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep

I don't know about what terminals work. You can get a pigtail harness from BMW, part # 12518638006. $$$. So annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #9
-KingJames-
Private
Rep

Found it, the correct terminals are 61-13-7-635-617
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, how did you find that? Realoem doesn't have any vehicle association with it, but it does seem to know about the part.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #11
-KingJames-
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wow, how did you find that? Realoem doesn't have any vehicle association with it, but it does seem to know about the part.
Well I went on a wild goose chase looking at all the suppliers for terminals and those did match, but buying them from suppliers in a low quantity would be difficult. I sent a message over to the guys at getbmwparts and they sent me an email with that exact P/N, which my local bmw dealer had in stock.

Now I need to find the part that covers the wires from the connector to the tube:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #12
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep

That helps a little with strain relief but otherwise isn't important. But that reminds me - if you're redoing the terminals, you need seals too. TE 967067-1 or -2 depending on wire diameter. Or maybe BMW 61138366245.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #13
-KingJames-
Private
Rep

Quote:
That helps a little with strain relief but otherwise isn't important. But that reminds me - if you're redoing the terminals, you need seals too. TE 967067-1 or -2 depending on wire diameter. Or maybe BMW 61138366245.
I found the end part, the last mechanic had it when he attempted and failed at fixing it.... The seals were on there from before so I just reused those. Plus I had extra seals from previous repairs. Everything has been fixed to perfection.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 04:16 PM   #14
mrwhitethunder
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i

Thank you for this thread! The heat cycles in the engine appeared to have damaged the same sensor on my wife's car. I ordered the socket housing, bushing contacts and sealing grommets.

The wires were broken off. I believe/hope this is causing the limp mode I am getting (p0113 code - intake air temp/sensor 1 circuit high). The question I have is, which of the two wires goes on which side? My wires are both white, with no markings on either. I believe one wire may have writing but not 100% sure. How do I know which wire goes on what side? The dealer was 0 help - I assume they just want me to bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:23 AM   #15
mrwhitethunder
Rep

Here is a pic of the wires for reference
Name:  wire.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  121.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 12:47 PM   #16
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhitethunder View Post
Thank you for this thread! The heat cycles in the engine appeared to have damaged the same sensor on my wife's car. I ordered the socket housing, bushing contacts and sealing grommets.

The wires were broken off. I believe/hope this is causing the limp mode I am getting (p0113 code - intake air temp/sensor 1 circuit high). The question I have is, which of the two wires goes on which side? My wires are both white, with no markings on either. I believe one wire may have writing but not 100% sure. How do I know which wire goes on what side? The dealer was 0 help - I assume they just want me to bring it in.
You could test continuity back to the original plug using the TIS wiring diagram, but really for 99% of temp sensors the polarity doesn't matter.

I am curious why your wires are white while the original posters wires were colored correctly - yellow and yellow/blue. That extra bluish/greenish sleeve is curious as well which makes me wonder if this is really for something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 11:20 AM   #17
mrwhitethunder
Rep

Quote:
You could test continuity back to the original plug using the TIS wiring diagram, but really for 99% of temp sensors the polarity doesn't matter.

I am curious why your wires are white while the original posters wires were colored correctly - yellow and yellow/blue. That extra bluish/greenish sleeve is curious as well which makes me wonder if this is really for something else?
Forgot to update. It appears that someone previously "extended" these wires, for whatever reason. They did a crap job at it too, using two different butt connectors. I rewired the new plug using the original yellow wires and didnt get to test polarity but figured I didnt think it mattered. I hooked it up and it cleared the CEL and removed the limp mode.
Appreciate 0