F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 440i insurance - "mods"
proTUNING Freaks

01-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
winther1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i with MPPSK

440i insurance - "mods"

My car was sold as standard but turned out to have mppsk (which I planned to do anyway) - my insurance charges £88 extra which I guess is fair.
It also has the 19" bmw 624 wheels and factory fitted M Performance package with carbon front/rear spoiler/side skirts. And a sunroof. All "standard" package upgrades and bmw parts - do I need to declare these as modifications?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
kylemacca01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

It depends on the insurer.

Loads won't care about factory fit sunroof.
All those other mods are dealer fit which is a bit of a grey area, see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Alscoob
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F31 340i M sport+

Wouldn't even mention the sun roof, its a factory fit so not a modification.

Wheels tend not to be a modification as long as they are OEM as they could have come from the factory with them.

Body kit is different usually a dealer fit option so technically a modification. I would tell them, I declared mine and it made no difference to the premium.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Kendo67
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F32 440i ,Subaru Forester

I told Admiral about all the (genuine) mods I have done to my F32 :

MPPSK , rear spoiler , front lip , interior alcantara / carbon kit , M perf steering wheel and just a few days ago a rear diffuser.

The diffuser was just an extra £4 (+admin) to add it to my policy so it would have been crazy not to tell them.

The insurance normally ask if the car is standard which I would think is as it left the factory , any dealer add-ons would need to be declared just to keep yourself right.

K

Last edited by Kendo67; 01-14-2020 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
B58_f32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440I M Sport

i told admiral to be on the safe side. no extra cost, but they did say they will not replace so in an accident diffuser, splitter will not be replaced with m performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
lethbridge
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [0.00]
Is anyone aware of any cases where this has actually been or not been an issue? I.e. An insurer did despite or didn't pay up due to BMW fitted/approved options/accessories whether done in the factory, at the dealer or somewhere in between (which is where they add carbon packs if you spec your new car with it as an example)... I clearly get the need for declaring performance enhancements and if you choose to fit wheels or suspension mods that are out of OEM spec (e.g. and cause tyre to rub and blow out on m-way causing carnage) but I'm not sure an insurer cares too much about adding non performance related standard BMW accessories/options approved for your specific model... Just be interested to hear any actual examples as opposed to trying to second guess what a modification actually is and getting fleeced an admin charge at the least every time you declare one only to find they won't actually cover a like for like replacement if you are rear ended and your diffuser & MPE is trashed... I get the declare everything approach to avoid any risk of an issue as this is the wise thing to do in the absence of knowing any different but are we just getting fleeced in reality...
      01-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
isleaiw1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Is anyone aware of any cases where this has actually been or not been an issue? I.e. An insurer did despite or didn't pay up due to BMW fitted/approved options/accessories whether done in the factory, at the dealer or somewhere in between (which is where they add carbon packs if you spec your new car with it as an example)... I clearly get the need for declaring performance enhancements and if you choose to fit wheels or suspension mods that are out of OEM spec (e.g. and cause tyre to rub and blow out on m-way causing carnage) but I'm not sure an insurer cares too much about adding non performance related standard BMW accessories/options approved for your specific model... Just be interested to hear any actual examples as opposed to trying to second guess what a modification actually is and getting fleeced an admin charge at the least every time you declare one only to find they won't actually cover a like for like replacement if you are rear ended and your diffuser & MPE is trashed... I get the declare everything approach to avoid any risk of an issue as this is the wise thing to do in the absence of knowing any different but are we just getting fleeced in reality...
You have a requirement to tell your insurer full facts to all questions they ask and to knowingly not do so may render your policy void. To me, the last thing I would want in the event of an accident is a doubt over payment, however small.

Most insurers make sod all money on domestic car insurance so I am not sure fleeced is the right word...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
MJS440
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
You have a requirement to tell your insurer full facts to all questions they ask and to knowingly not do so may render your policy void. To me, the last thing I would want in the event of an accident is a doubt over payment, however small.

Most insurers make sod all money on domestic car insurance so I am not sure fleeced is the right word...
If you werenít too clued up on cars and bought from a dealer a car that happened to have additional parts how would you know?

I remember buying a civic type S and it wasnít until I looked into modding myself that I discovered it already had upgraded diffuser, splitter and side skirts. I hadnít really paid enough attention to different models to know that wasnít standard
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
Techno 9000
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

I used to consider a modification to be something done after leaving the factory, however my dealing with insurers in the last two years has changed my view.

My current insurance proposal form asks the question 'has the car been modified from manufacturers standard specification'. So to answer this correctly any optional extras above standard spec need to be disclosed.

Given it has (amongst other things) adaptive headlights, obviously more costly and one of the first things damaged in an accident, I can understand their point of view.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:50 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS440 View Post
If you werenít too clued up on cars and bought from a dealer a car that happened to have additional parts how would you know?

I remember buying a civic type S and it wasnít until I looked into modding myself that I discovered it already had upgraded diffuser, splitter and side skirts. I hadnít really paid enough attention to different models to know that wasnít standard
Hence the use of the word knowingly... you may have to prove that the dealership hadnít advertised it and it was unreasonable to expect you to spot it...

If you bought a Civic1.6s and it had a 2.0 vtec with turbo under the bonnet, the knowingly part is harder to dispute...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:02 AM   #11
JNW1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
I used to consider a modification to be something done after leaving the factory, however my dealing with insurers in the last two years has changed my view.

My current insurance proposal form asks the question 'has the car been modified from manufacturers standard specification'. So to answer this correctly any optional extras above standard spec need to be disclosed.

Given it has (amongst other things) adaptive headlights, obviously more costly and one of the first things damaged in an accident, I can understand their point of view.
I can see where you're coming from that. Another obvious potential anomaly is something like paint; as has been discussed on a separate thread, individual paints can cost a lot more than standard colours so if you have individual paint, you haven't told your insurer and your car has a bump where do you stand if the cost of any remedial paintwork is rather more than the insurer's expecting?

The last thing you want is to be in a situation where in the event of a claim an insurer's saying you never told us about something so you're not fully covered (or even not covered at all); IMO it's far better to disclose any options - factory fitted or otherwise - so there's no room for argument. If the insurer says we're not interested in anything factory fitted that's fine but at least you've given them the information and allowed them to make the decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #12
winther1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i with MPPSK

I wonder if the insurance company can see if you edited your car specs on their website to check how much a mod would cost to insure. If they can track this they can prove you knew about it in case of a claim
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
Londoner
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

There's a few old threads on it but is always worth getting a BMW insurance quote - they are very competitive (smashed gocompare etc quotes for me) and cover everything either factory OR BMW dealer fitted at no extra cost - so from individual paint to MPPSK, you don't even have to declare.
Appreciate 0