F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Service History Lost
Extreme Powerhouse

01-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
delkeo
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Service History Lost

Bought my first BMW a couple of months ago and was sold as an approved used car with FSH. There was no service book with the car on delivery and only a couple of services listed on the computer of the car.

The dealer cant find the history and have offered to either buy the car back or are looking into what else can be offered.

Looking for some advice on wether this has happened to anyone else and what would be the best thing to do?

Should i sell it back or what should i push for in way of compensation for buying a car which wasnt as advertised?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Londoner
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Unless you can prove some sort of loss/injury, would be amazed if you get anything extra (other than a sorry) if you take the refund. You are however in a fairly strong position to negotiate now, as they'll probably have to send it to auction. If it were me I'd get an online quote from WBAC and ask them to credit you the difference. If they say no, offer to sling 500 quid on the WBAC figure. How much was the car? What's the model/mileage?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
Londoner
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

If it interests you at all you could also look at taking some (discounted of course) BMW fitted mods instead. MPPSK/M Performance goodies etc.

Last edited by Londoner; 01-15-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
delkeo
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Unless you can prove some sort of loss/injury, would be amazed if you get anything extra (other than a sorry) if you take the refund. You are however in a fairly strong position to negotiate now, as they'll probably have to send it to auction. If it were me I'd get an online quote from WBAC and ask them to credit you the difference. If they say no, offer to sling 500 quid on the WBAC figure. How much was the car? What's the model/mileage?
They have asked for a couple of days to see what they can offer in way of compensation. They said that if they took the car back then they would still then re-advertise as approved used as they were able to attach a BMW Warranty to the car. Its a 2012 320i with 55k on it. I'm happy with the car and dont really want the hassle of having to change after only doing so 2-3 months ago so would much rather keep the car. But its only going to affect my resale value down the line. The warranty etc is still valid so theres no issue with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delkeo View Post
They have asked for a couple of days to see what they can offer in way of compensation. They said that if they took the car back then they would still then re-advertise as approved used as they were able to attach a BMW Warranty to the car. Its a 2012 320i with 55k on it. I'm happy with the car and dont really want the hassle of having to change after only doing so 2-3 months ago so would much rather keep the car. But its only going to affect my resale value down the line. The warranty etc is still valid so theres no issue with that.
Do you mean AUC warranty?

Once that runs out you'll probably want to get an extended warranty and as far as i'm aware, the car will not be eligible for it.

I would personally give the car back and find another with full service history. I'd rather own a car with tatty exterior with full service history, then a visually pristine car with part service history.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
Rukka
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Audi

You say there are a couple of services listed in the idrive. At what mileages?

Servicing would normally be around every 16-19000 miles so it would help to build a picture of what is 'missing'. If it had a service around 18000 miles and another around 36000 miles it would have been due at around 54000 miles - IE, due one now.

The info in the idrive should also say 'where' it was serviced (dealer code)

Oh, and service book, you don't get them anymore. All on the idrive or dealer computer system.

If it is just missing the last service then I would get the dealer to perform a full service on it (full includes spark plugs and air filter as apposed to just oil and filter) and then you're good to go

Past: M4 CP, M4 CP, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
Ronstein
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
You say there are a couple of services listed in the idrive. At what mileages?

Servicing would normally be around every 16-19000 miles so it would help to build a picture of what is 'missing'. If it had a service around 18000 miles and another around 36000 miles it would have been due at around 54000 miles - IE, due one now.

The info in the idrive should also say 'where' it was serviced (dealer code)

Oh, and service book, you don't get them anymore. All on the idrive or dealer computer system.

If it is just missing the last service then I would get the dealer to perform a full service on it (full includes spark plugs and air filter as apposed to just oil and filter) and then you're good to go
What Rukka said. My motoring is mostly main road and motorway at 50-70 mph and, on average, my service intervals come up at around 22k intervals, so the car might be on track. is it a one owner before you?
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
Mick.86uk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 440i

If it was registered 2012, it should have had a service at least every two years.

1st Service - 2014
2nd Service (Major) - 2016
3rd Service - 2018