F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sold my 4GC
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #23
Medslow
Private
39
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F31 340i Superman combo, MPE.
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (0)

I had no idea the 40i's or 4 series in genereal were stand out targets to the scumbags.
I hope our F31 340i goes under the radar a bit more.
It's really sad to hear people selling up as a result of fear from the theives, its a sorry state. But fully agree with the OP, it cant be fun worrying 24/7.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #24
winther1
Private
winther1's Avatar
United Kingdom
51
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 440i with MPPSK
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Teatray View Post
Is that a gated car park where it opens automatically when you drive at it from inside? Which really just means they need to hop over the wall, or if it's a big development with a lot of people coming and going, they just tailgate somebody in, so sadly not a huge deterrent.

Our rear driveway has heavy wrought-iron gates that I keep chained shut with a toughened chain and padlock originally designed to secure a motorbike. Just as an additional deterrent to encourage would-be thieves to pass on by in favour of easier targets. Being central London, there are plenty of fancier cars parked outside on the street to pick from.
Yes it's gated and belongs to a small block with about 30 flats. Not busy, but yes they can follow someone in and easily get out. My flat is right above my car park so the GPS with vibration alert should be some peace of mind. Would take me a few seconds to run down if I get the alert the car is being touched. In that situation I would not think twice about who they are and what weapons they might carry. I'm fired up just thinking about it
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:45 PM   #25
B58_f32
Lieutenant
119
Rep
597
Posts

Drives: 440I M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Coventry, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weston.__ View Post
I think you have to try and enjoy the car you really want, otherwise they unfortunately win.

Although some cars will clearly be more desirable than others, all types of cars are stolen, not just luxury or high performance ones. Therefore I will continue to have the car I want.

I follow a local instagram page that post stolen cars and I'd say most of them are average cars, for example in the last few weeks stolen have been a Fiat 500, Ford S-Max, BMW 1 Series and Volvo XC60.
i follow that page to. fords are the most common. someone i know there ford was nicked in handsworth. they were inside their business premises at the time.

they did manage to find cctv a black audi a3 was what the gang was in 60 plate

the scum will nick anything. its whatever they need parts for. used to be people nicking for joyrides. now its a whole organised unit, parts/shipping etc
cat d repairs
Appreciate 1
N-W30.00

      01-17-2020, 02:38 AM   #26
TodmordenLad
Colonel
United Kingdom
1651
Rep
2,994
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medlow View Post
I had no idea the 40i's or 4 series in genereal were stand out targets to the scumbags.
I hope our F31 340i goes under the radar a bit more.
It's really sad to hear people selling up as a result of fear from the theives, its a sorry state. But fully agree with the OP, it cant be fun worrying 24/7.
I don't think the 4 series is a stand out target in particular. It's a BMW, however, and that's enough for a lot of thieves. My 440i was badged, with the M Performance exhaust, which won't have helped.

The 3 series was the 3rd most stolen car in the UK (2018 data). I'd be surprised if that stat didn't include the 4 series. There were 3 BMWs in the top 10.
__________________
Owned: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK, F31 330D M Sport with MPPK, F11 530D SE, F11 520D SE, E61 530D M Sport, E36 325i plus many MB's, Audi's & Volvo's
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:47 AM   #27
SkyJawa
Major General
SkyJawa's Avatar
England
2376
Rep
7,169
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (1)

There was an incident in my road (a cul-de-sac) on Monday at 3:20am where a white van showed up and was looking in car windows with a torch, we have 2 cameras out the front and driveway is lit up by a doorway light and a streetlight right in front. They never came to look in my 335 or the missus new Tiguan so can only hope the cameras kept them away. Shame I couldn’t make out the reg or would have reported them, though probably a stolen van.

They got spooked by another resident and left I was told.

Scum the lot of em.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #28
TodmordenLad
Colonel
United Kingdom
1651
Rep
2,994
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Sold my 4GC a few days ago. Very sorry to see it go. By far the best 6cyl BMW I've owned. Tired of people trying to pinch it. Won't go into detail on here but not prepared to put the household at any further risk. I've lived in my house for a long time but things have deteriorated noticeably in the last 18 months. Family in other parts of the country are telling me the same thing. Utterly depressing.
Ah no, sorry to hear this. Society really is just getting worse, all the available security we have and the scrotes just have no fear.

Sad to see the car go I bet, not a perfect car but one of the most perfect designs of the last decade imho. It just looks right from almost every angle. And the B58 improves the car and masks its refinement deficiencies.

Good luck with the search for something new and discrete.
Thanks MB
Will probably get something like a bog standard Mk7 Golf as a DD for now, which is end of line so plenty of pre-reg discounted examples around, and add a nice Sunday driver at some point later, which I'll keep elsewhere
.
__________________
Owned: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK, F31 330D M Sport with MPPK, F11 530D SE, F11 520D SE, E61 530D M Sport, E36 325i plus many MB's, Audi's & Volvo's
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #29
Kam05
New Member
9
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 440! M Sport Grand Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Leeds, 🇬🇧

iTrader: (0)

Sorry you've had to sell up OP, a car isn't worth putting yourself or loved ones at risk, surprised your 440i caught so much attention?

I had my 440i gc for 2 years and it didn't attract much attention even with the mppsk and 20" low profile alloys, some people mistook my 440i gc for a 420d!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #30
JNW1
Brigadier General
1531
Rep
3,711
Posts

Drives: F31 335d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
Yes it's gated and belongs to a small block with about 30 flats. Not busy, but yes they can follow someone in and easily get out. My flat is right above my car park so the GPS with vibration alert should be some peace of mind. Would take me a few seconds to run down if I get the alert the car is being touched. In that situation I would not think twice about who they are and what weapons they might carry. I'm fired up just thinking about it
I understand the feeling and sentiment but potentially not a wise move IMO! On the one hand your arrival might scare them off but if there are a few of them - and they're carrying weapons like knives or a baseball bat - a stolen car could end-up being the least of your worries....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #31
Medslow
Private
39
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F31 340i Superman combo, MPE.
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I understand the feeling and sentiment but potentially not a wise move IMO! On the one hand your arrival might scare them off but if there are a few of them - and they're carrying weapons like knives or a baseball bat - a stolen car could end-up being the least of your worries....
Yep agreed..
I stolen car is less bother than a smashed skull or knife wound. Or if you see too much red, go crazy and flatten the scumbags, you end up with the record or in jail.
All for a car thats insured. It's just not worth it, let them get on with it.
Appreciate 2
JNW11531.00
Kam059.00

      01-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #32
B58_f32
Lieutenant
119
Rep
597
Posts

Drives: 440I M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Coventry, UK

iTrader: (0)

Engine and car dont matter to these scum. A few months ago in cov or bham. Some1 was stabbed over a micra.
Whatever the scum need parts for really.

The 4 series is prob included in 3 series stats. Glad dont have comfort access. Was gonna get ghost but been told it can be hacked.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #33
B58_f32
Lieutenant
119
Rep
597
Posts

Drives: 440I M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Coventry, UK

iTrader: (0)

Unfortunatly the way our laws are in this country when u hit a thief u get in trouble and not them. So we cant even protect our property. It sucks the op has to get rid of a good car cause of scum
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #34
gr4z
Colonel
gr4z's Avatar
United Kingdom
692
Rep
2,387
Posts

Drives: 440i GC MPPSK
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stamford

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
Unfortunatly the way our laws are in this country when u hit a thief u get in trouble and not them. So we cant even protect our property. It sucks the op has to get rid of a good car cause of scum
Not only that but when the Police caught the thief with my car 4 years ago and it went to court, they threw it out due to insufficient evidence. Even though he was caught red handed with the damn thing!

You can't defend your property and the scum bags just get let off when caught. Makes you wonder why the Police even bother. Joke.
__________________
Current: F36 440i Gran Coupe, MSport+, ACC, HUD, Sunroof, MPPSK
Previous: 2014 330d Saloon F30, 2013 Audi S4 Avant, 2011 Mercedes C350
Appreciate 1
N-W30.00

      01-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #35
winther1
Private
winther1's Avatar
United Kingdom
51
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 440i with MPPSK
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
Not only that but when the Police caught the thief with my car 4 years ago and it went to court, they threw it out due to insufficient evidence. Even though he was caught red handed with the damn thing!

You can't defend your property and the scum bags just get let off when caught. Makes you wonder why the Police even bother. Joke.
Absolute joke.
Well if it comes to a confrontation one day with thieves carrying weapons, it will be self defence. Surely you can defend yourself. Fingers crossed I won't experience a situation like this but I would never "let them get on with it"
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #36
Medslow
Private
39
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F31 340i Superman combo, MPE.
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
Absolute joke.
Well if it comes to a confrontation one day with thieves carrying weapons, it will be self defence. Surely you can defend yourself. Fingers crossed I won't experience a situation like this but I would never "let them get on with it"
Each to their own..
I'd personally not take any chance of getting slotted or knifed by some scumbag over a car..
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2020, 04:17 AM   #37
MashinBenzin
Major General
MashinBenzin's Avatar
3482
Rep
5,078
Posts

Drives: Carpathian D5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medlow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
Absolute joke.
Well if it comes to a confrontation one day with thieves carrying weapons, it will be self defence. Surely you can defend yourself. Fingers crossed I won't experience a situation like this but I would never "let them get on with it"
Each to their own..
I'd personally not take any chance of getting slotted or knifed by some scumbag over a car..
Wife, children, other very significant relatives or friends in danger. They are the only things worth physically fighting for. Possessions, not a chance.
__________________
Gone after 32 months - 2016 F36 440i M Sport Gran Coupe
Gone after almost 7 years - 2009 E90 320D SE Business Edition
Appreciate 4
      01-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #38
Sunnyb11
Private
14
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: bmw 335d xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ldn

iTrader: (0)

Ffs bought a 340i instead of an m3 as I thought it wouldn’t be a targeted car. Was hoping people think it’s just a 320d.

Not good at all hearing this.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #39
TodmordenLad
Colonel
United Kingdom
1651
Rep
2,994
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Bought a brand new, pre-reg Golf Mk7.5 TDi yesterday as an under-the-radar, ever-so-dull replacement DD for my 4GC. Got a great deal. Whilst the quality of the car is impressive, it's never going to bring a smile to my face, ever. So, planning on getting something fast and petrol-engined for the weekend to compensate, which I'll garage elsewhere and away from the house. Any suggestions are welcome
__________________
Owned: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK, F31 330D M Sport with MPPK, F11 530D SE, F11 520D SE, E61 530D M Sport, E36 325i plus many MB's, Audi's & Volvo's
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #40
MashinBenzin
Major General
MashinBenzin's Avatar
3482
Rep
5,078
Posts

Drives: Carpathian D5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Bought a brand new, pre-reg Golf Mk7.5 TDi yesterday as an under-the-radar, ever-so-dull replacement DD for my 4GC. Got a great deal. Whilst the quality of the car is impressive, it's never going to bring a smile to my face, ever. So, planning on getting something fast and petrol-engined for the weekend to compensate, which I'll garage elsewhere and away from the house. Any suggestions are welcome
Not so much fast, but apparently smile inducing...Alpine A110.

Cheaper...GT86.

You can probably see my thinking, handling fun over power. Enjoyable drives over two seconds of excitement pinning the throttle.
__________________
Gone after 32 months - 2016 F36 440i M Sport Gran Coupe
Gone after almost 7 years - 2009 E90 320D SE Business Edition
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #41
Medslow
Private
39
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: F31 340i Superman combo, MPE.
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Not so much fast, but apparently smile inducing...Alpine A110.

Cheaper...GT86.

You can probably see my thinking, handling fun over power. Enjoyable drives over two seconds of excitement pinning the throttle.
I had a 30min drive in a A110.. Flippin ace..
The sound in sport mode was addictive.
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST