F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > G21 M340i initial impressions
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-24-2019, 12:18 PM   #23
TouringPleb
Colonel
2460
Rep
2,966
Posts

Drives: SRB 440i GC
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I don't think the black shadow line will have done the tanzanite any favours, or the look of the grill. The cerium really suited it when I saw it and in my opinion almost removed the big fat lips look of the grill. I know I've posted before, but picture reminder to show how good the colour can look.
If Tanzanite Blue 2 actually looked like the configurator it would really suit it. It's always darker though in the flesh.
Personal tastes. I much prefer the actual car in Alex's pics to that configurator colour, which I would just step past.

Changed my LR order earlier this year when the original Loire Blue (that I had ordered) was replaced with the slightly too blue Portofino Blue. Went grey instead.
I hate it when blue is too blue as well..

Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #24
JNW1
Brigadier General
1531
Rep
3,711
Posts

Drives: F31 335d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I don't think the black shadow line will have done the tanzanite any favours, or the look of the grill. The cerium really suited it when I saw it and in my opinion almost removed the big fat lips look of the grill. I know I've posted before, but picture reminder to show how good the colour can look.
I agree completely about the Shadowline option doing Tanzanite Blue no favours although personally I think things like black alloys generally look naff regardless of exterior colour; however, I know many disagree so each to their own!

I also agree the car down at Wentworth looked great in the photos you posted and it was partly because of those that I had Tanzanite as my first choice colour. However, I've seen people say it doesn't look great in dull conditions and it probably didn't help that the car I drove yesterday wasn't especially clean never mind polished. I haven't dismissed it but I think I might investigate how much extra some of the other individual colours would cost; I'd be looking at this as a long-term keeper (6 or 7 years) so if a colour I really wanted wasn't going to cost too much more than Tanzanite I might be tempted!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #25
Steve_M_Sport
Major
Steve_M_Sport's Avatar
United Kingdom
331
Rep
1,442
Posts

Drives: F31 340i M Sport Touring
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leicestershire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I hate it when blue is too blue as well..

I love Tanzanite blue
Attached Images
 
__________________
2019 F31 340i M Sport Shadow Edition | Tanzanite Blue | BMW Individual Extended White Merino Leather | Leather Dashboard | Panoramic Sunroof | Folding Door Mirrors | HBA | Reversing Camera | Adaptive Suspension | Pro Nav |

Previous : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 3
JNW11531.00
kzg1969408.00

      12-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
5279
Rep
17,670
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/G20 330e/F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Great review, and though I've said it before, I'll say it again, the G20 is a very definite improvement on the F30.

As someone has said, they've systematically looked at what's let the F30 down and gone and sorted it- handles much better as standard, has the refinement you'd expect from the class, and the ride is very decent.

Looks are very subjective of course, but after a few weeks of having one it just looks like a modern 3 series should.

I have to admit I wasn't at all impressed with the idea of the new digital dash layout, and expected to miss traditional dials. But I have to eat my words on that. Took about a day and one long drive and I'm sold on it. It's slightly different on the 330e as unless you're in sport mode it doesn't show the engine lower as a rev counter, butler a reflection on how much power you're using, and especially where the engine will come in to augment electrical power. Sounds odd but its actually very logical for a genuine hybrid power train.
Overall however it displays a lot of information that I find nice to see at a glance- less scrolling through the OBC displays for example. It also makes good use of being digital to subtly highlight when you're speeding (making better use of the SLD info). Of course, none of it's strictly necessary, but I think if you're going to fit a digital display then might as well explore what it can do differently and perhaps better. What's also good is the largish central area which you can configure to your preference. Very handy to see the shape of road ahead very clearly when out on a blast for example.
The reality is many of us will also have the HUD, which is also much larger and more useful than before, and so actually you don't even use the instrument cluster all that much.
__________________
Current: 2018 M4 Competition, 2019 G20 330e MSport, 2016 F31 340i MSport tourer
Gone...F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
JNW11531.00
DaveH28238.00

      12-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #27
JNW1
Brigadier General
1531
Rep
3,711
Posts

Drives: F31 335d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Great review, and though I've said it before, I'll say it again, the G20 is a very definite improvement on the F30.

As someone has said, they've systematically looked at what's let the F30 down and gone and sorted it- handles much better as standard, has the refinement you'd expect from the class, and the ride is very decent.
Yes, I think when you're looking at the replacement model for what you've got you tend to focus on the areas where you think your existing car's deficient and see what the manufacturer's done to improve things. Judged in that regard I'd say BMW has done very good job with the G21; the F31 is a good car but IMO the G21 is a very definite step forward and seems to address the most significant issues I have with my car. They just need a bit of sanity with their prices and I'd be happy to sign on the dotted line!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #28
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
5279
Rep
17,670
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/G20 330e/F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Great review, and though I've said it before, I'll say it again, the G20 is a very definite improvement on the F30.

As someone has said, they've systematically looked at what's let the F30 down and gone and sorted it- handles much better as standard, has the refinement you'd expect from the class, and the ride is very decent.
Yes, I think when you're looking at the replacement model for what you've got you tend to focus on the areas where you think your existing car's deficient and see what the manufacturer's done to improve things. Judged in that regard I'd say BMW has done very good job with the G21; the F31 is a good car but IMO the G21 is a very definite step forward and seems to address the most significant issues I have with my car. They just need a bit of sanity with their prices and I'd be happy to sign on the dotted line!
Yes, I can imagine being tempted by a M340i tourer if some silly deals come along!

I honestly don't think I'd modify it at all!

In fact, I was catching up with Lorcan just last week and telling him that his sales of spring kits and suspension for 3 series will be way down shortly!
__________________
Current: 2018 M4 Competition, 2019 G20 330e MSport, 2016 F31 340i MSport tourer
Gone...F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #29
JNW1
Brigadier General
1531
Rep
3,711
Posts

Drives: F31 335d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Yes, I can imagine being tempted by a M340i tourer if some silly deals come along!
I'd be more than happy with a deal which gives me a similar level of discount to what I got on my F31; a deal like the one they've just been running on the X3M would be even better though!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #30
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
5279
Rep
17,670
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/G20 330e/F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Yes, I can imagine being tempted by a M340i tourer if some silly deals come along!
I'd be more than happy with a deal which gives me a similar level of discount to what I got on my F31; a deal like the one they've just been running on the X3M would be even better though!
The really spectacular deals come with cars already built and available for delivery quickly, so it then comes down to how fussy you are over spec. Having now specced one G20 already to high spec I'd want to do much the same again, specifically including the driver assistance professional pack, which BMW don't seem to be speccing on many of their cars unfortunately.
__________________
Current: 2018 M4 Competition, 2019 G20 330e MSport, 2016 F31 340i MSport tourer
Gone...F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #31
JNW1
Brigadier General
1531
Rep
3,711
Posts

Drives: F31 335d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
The really spectacular deals come with cars already built and available for delivery quickly, so it then comes down to how fussy you are over spec. Having now specced one G20 already to high spec I'd want to do much the same again, specifically including the driver assistance professional pack, which BMW don't seem to be speccing on many of their cars unfortunately.
Very true but I got around 25% off my F31 as a factory order and that sort of discount was widely available at the time. If a dealer was prepared to get anywhere close to that on a G21 M340i I'd be very happy and in truth I could probably be tempted at any discount starting with a 2; doubt that will become a reality in Q1 2020 but I'm hoping it might in Q2....
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #32
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
2282
Rep
4,766
Posts

Drives: X3 M40d
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I agree completely about the Shadowline option doing Tanzanite Blue no favours although personally I think things like black alloys generally look naff regardless of exterior colour; however, I know many disagree so each to their own!

I also agree the car down at Wentworth looked great in the photos you posted and it was partly because of those that I had Tanzanite as my first choice colour. However, I've seen people say it doesn't look great in dull conditions and it probably didn't help that the car I drove yesterday wasn't especially clean never mind polished. I haven't dismissed it but I think I might investigate how much extra some of the other individual colours would cost; I'd be looking at this as a long-term keeper (6 or 7 years) so if a colour I really wanted wasn't going to cost too much more than Tanzanite I might be tempted!
Not sure as never owned one in tanzanite, but the car at Wentworth was viewed and photographed in dark rainy conditions and it still looked great to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #33
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
2282
Rep
4,766
Posts

Drives: X3 M40d
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
If Tanzanite Blue 2 actually looked like the configurator it would really suit it. It's always darker though in the flesh.
Etto, but that in my opinion looks awful.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #34
speedski
Captain
speedski's Avatar
206
Rep
632
Posts

Drives: F36 LCI AW 420Dx
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
M340i touring is top of the list as the replacement for my F36 next year.
And having just agreed with my wife that we're getting another dog in 2020, my argument is won before it's even started
It's just become mine too...dammit.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #35
Rhino at Work
Captain
Rhino at Work's Avatar
391
Rep
764
Posts

Drives: EB F30 340i Shadow Edition
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Etto, but that in my opinion looks awful.
Well as you say ETTO but isn't personal choice a strange thing when it comes to colours. I can understand you disagreeing with me but I really don't get the word "awful" for that colour.

For me the below is awful (and even has and awful name - Mahogoni II) but I wouldn't be surprised if someone posts that they like it!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: EB F30 340i Shadow Edition with even more toys
Previous: EB F30 330d xdrive with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 06:12 AM   #36
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
2282
Rep
4,766
Posts

Drives: X3 M40d
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Well as you say ETTO but isn't personal choice a strange thing when it comes to colours. I can understand you disagreeing with me but I really don't get the word "awful" for that colour.

For me the below is awful (and even has and awful name - Mahogoni II) but I wouldn't be surprised if someone posts that they like it!
You don't have to get it, I said it was an awful colour in my opinion. Others are more than welcome to like it.

I get not insulting the colour of someone's pride and joy, but saying an imaginary colour on a configurator is awful should be just about fine and not breaking forum etiquette hopefully.

Although liking it is a little futile, as it doesn't exist as an option, it's just a bad rendition of tanzanite as I understand.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 12-27-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
3791
Rep
11,887
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Having seen a G20 M340i in Oxide Grey at my local dealer, rate it as my choice for an M340i Touring. Example as a 330d Touring
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #38
JNW1
Brigadier General
1531
Rep
3,711
Posts

Drives: F31 335d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Having seen a G20 M340i in Oxide Grey at my local dealer, rate it as my choice for an M340i Touring. Example as a 330d Touring
And I saw a G20 M340i in Oxide Grey at Stratstone Harrogate and didn't really like it all; if I was going for grey personally I'd stick with Mineral Grey and save 1100 - just serves to illustrate how personal these things are!!

Oh, and I'd never go by the colour on the configurator either - in my experience computer images of colour are often unreliable and I think you really need to see it in the metal (and preferably on the model you want).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #39
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
2282
Rep
4,766
Posts

Drives: X3 M40d
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Having seen a G20 M340i in Oxide Grey at my local dealer, rate it as my choice for an M340i Touring. Example as a 330d Touring
The problem with that for me is the black. Don't like black wheels and don't like the fat lipped black grill. Cerium on that colour would look lost as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #40
PeteN
Private
26
Rep
67
Posts

Drives: F31 330d PPK
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Colour is definitely personal choice. I've seen most in the flesh as Barons in Farnborough are a big dealership so have most colours/models somewhere.
I was between Dravit and Portimao before I went. Saw both clean and dirty. Dravit is nice when shiny but looked crap when it was a bit dirty so completely put me off as it will be dirty for 8 months of the year in the UK. Portimao looked great with black grill(a must) and wheels(also like the bi colour wheels) and also still looked bright when a bit dirty. Probably too bright for some but looks a bit less blue in real life than the configurator. I'll be getting the m performance front splitter parts and side skirts. The back of the F31 M340i looks great already.
Some colours are a bit more neutral so may appeal to more, mineral grey for example you can't dislike.
I do quite like the mineral metallic white though.
I need to see an F31 in the flesh in this colour before I go with Portimao 100%.
Just need these big discounts which are hopefully around the corner.
Haven't seen an M340i apart from the one I test drove so hopefully sales have been slow!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
3791
Rep
11,887
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
The problem with that for me is the black. Don't like black wheels and don't like the fat lipped black grill. Cerium on that colour would look lost as well.
I wouldn't want the black wheels or black grille, but the body colour would be 'serviceable' in typical Scottish Highland conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #42
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
3791
Rep
11,887
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

I agree colour is definitely a personal thing. Besides colours which have a greater attraction to the biggest market, and often reflected in trade in values, what a user likes best can be very different.

For example, I personally don't get why black is so popular. May look good when clean and well polished, but what about in use? Black looks so bad when dusty or covered with road filth. Many look so bland and like a dirty grey in use.

I have Sophisto Grey, would never choose it as a 'preferred' colour, certainly not for easy use. Looks dull and/or dirty most of the time up here. My experience over the years, a shade of silver (grey) is the most easy to live with, clean or dirty. It is why I see Oxide Grey as a colour that will work out on the road.

My son is running a Ford Focus ST in Stealth Grey. Some may say it is a boring colour, but IMO it is understated and looks good whatever condition it is in.

It is why I think something like BMW Space Grey is a good serviceable colour.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #43
TodmordenLad
Colonel
United Kingdom
1651
Rep
2,994
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Always tricky picking a colour for a new model, especially when the choices are so limited, as usual with BMW. I've had grey, silver, white and blue BMWs in the past and my current is carbon black, which is easily my favourite.
I'll probably go for sapphire black if I go for a G21 M340i next year. I don't like the black wheel/black grille option and the cerium trim, which I also don't like much, is least offensive against a sapphire black background, imo.
__________________
Owned: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK, F31 330D M Sport with MPPK, F11 530D SE, F11 520D SE, E61 530D M Sport, E36 325i plus many MB's, Audi's & Volvo's
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #44
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
5279
Rep
17,670
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/G20 330e/F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I agree colour is definitely a personal thing. Besides colours which have a greater attraction to the biggest market, and often reflected in trade in values, what a user likes best can be very different.

For example, I personally don't get why black is so popular. May look good when clean and well polished, but what about in use? Black looks so bad when dusty or covered with road filth. Many look so bland and like a dirty grey in use.

I have Sophisto Grey, would never choose it as a 'preferred' colour, certainly not for easy use. Looks dull and/or dirty most of the time up here. My experience over the years, a shade of silver (grey) is the most easy to live with, clean or dirty. It is why I see Oxide Grey as a colour that will work out on the road.

My son is running a Ford Focus ST in Stealth Grey. Some may say it is a boring colour, but IMO it is understated and looks good whatever condition it is in.

It is why I think something like BMW Space Grey is a good serviceable colour.
Even within certain colours there are ones much nicer than others. For example I had a Space Grey E90 330d and is probably my favourite colour to date on any of my 3 series, yet Mineral grey was one of the most boring colours ever.

Same with blacks- sapphire black is pretty dull in anything less than perfect condition and on a sunny day. Even then it's a boring black compared to something like Carbon black, which is stunning.

I just don't get why BMW stick with Mineral grey and Sapphire black as long as they have.
__________________
Current: 2018 M4 Competition, 2019 G20 330e MSport, 2016 F31 340i MSport tourer
Gone...F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST