F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car Play, text notifications with ID5
Extreme Powerhouse

10-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
skyjumper
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive

Car Play, text notifications with ID5

I have a 2017 440i with the NBT EVO ID5 (I think) and after just a month or so I'm still learning to use it. One thing I like quite a bit is the inductive charging in the center console for my iPhone 8. I like both the charging and the fact that the phone is now not flying all around the car.

When I put the phone in the console, it's of course unavailable. From a phone call standpoint, that's okay, the BT and hands free works nicely. But who ever talks on a phone? From a text and nav standpoint, it's not so great.

Regarding texting, no I don't typically text while I drive, but I still want to know that I got a text and who it was from. I may want to pull over and read it. When the phone is connected to BT, it seems that the NBT suppresses text notifications completely. Is there a way to fix that?

As for nav, I think the nav with RTTI is great but Waze is probably better. Driving to Boston, traffic routing is essential. That has me thinking about carplay, which I can get from BMW for $300, but I really like the nav in the HUD so I'm on the fence. The nav with RTTI is probably good enough.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks...

Last edited by skyjumper; 10-09-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
skyjumper
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive

After much googling and playing in the car, I was able to get the car to receive the text message. As long as I go looking for it I can find it, and select it, and read it and get the car to read it to me. Of course by the time I did all that it would have been easier and safer to read it using the phone.

One bit of frustration is that when I send myself a text message it won't come to the car, but I was able to send myself a text by email and that came to the car, but still no alert of any type.

There must be a way to make it at least alert me that a text has arrived...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
simonelwell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 30d M Sport

text in car

Haven't found a way to generate a notification - but in car play press and hold the siri button on the steering wheel and when siri responds say "messages"
you'll get
"you have no new messages"
or
"you have 2 new messages" etc.

siri can read them to you. It will also play whatsapp messages the same way - say "whatsapp"
Appreciate 0