F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT EVO retrofit issues
proTUNING Freaks

07-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435i Gran Coupe

Garage List
NBT EVO retrofit issues

Hi guys,

I've read as many posts as possible and am just finding bits of information which don't fully answer my questions.

I recently bought an EVO HU from a 2017 F36 and I'm fitting it to my 2015 F36. My head unit is currently an NBT with full navigation and large screen.

The unit I bought comes with the screen and controller so I'm all set. Here are my questions though.

1. I plugged the unit in using all the connectors that I could match up and also the quad lock with no emulator attached. I just wanted to see if the unit was working. I hear the unit running, cd ejects etc but the screen is black with just the backlight on. Is this because I haven't had it coded yet or because I don't have the emulator harness? Maybe there's something else?

2. There's a lot of information about losing the connected services and I'm okay with that but would avoid it if I could. I can get the matching ATM unit from the donor car my EVO come from but is that even of any use? Would I not have to try retrofit the SIM card from my com box to make it work?

Thanks for any help guys and sorry for digging up old topics. Here is the back of the new evo unit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF36 View Post
Hi guys,

I've read as many posts as possible and am just finding bits of information which don't fully answer my questions.

I recently bought an EVO HU from a 2017 F36 and I'm fitting it to my 2015 F36. My head unit is currently an NBT with full navigation and large screen.

The unit I bought comes with the screen and controller so I'm all set. Here are my questions though.

1. I plugged the unit in using all the connectors that I could match up and also the quad lock with no emulator attached. I just wanted to see if the unit was working. I hear the unit running, cd ejects etc but the screen is black with just the backlight on. Is this because I haven't had it coded yet or because I don't have the emulator harness? Maybe there's something else?

2. There's a lot of information about losing the connected services and I'm okay with that but would avoid it if I could. I can get the matching ATM unit from the donor car my EVO come from but is that even of any use? Would I not have to try retrofit the SIM card from my com box to make it work?

Thanks for any help guys and sorry for digging up old topics. Here is the back of the new evo unit.
You have a different screen (CID) than what the NBT-EVO output is looking for....among other things.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #3
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

You have a different screen (CID) than what the NBT-EVO output is looking for....among other things.
Thanks, it's actually resolved now. It wasn't a CIC screen. It was a newer NBT Unit with Apix 1 screen in the original but the newer one is Apix 2. With EVO HU

The issue was that the EVO HU was in transport mode and locked. Had the guys at codemybimmer fix it. It's installed now and working a dream.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks, it's actually resolved now. It wasn't a CIC screen. It was a newer NBT Unit with Apix 1 screen in the original but the newer one is Apix 2. With EVO HU

The issue was that the EVO HU was in transport mode and locked. Had the guys at codemybimmer fix it. It's installed now and working a dream.
Never said it was CIC....I said CID.

And that you needed the later NBT-EVO CID or a voltage regulator.

You had an OLDER NOT NEWER NBT Apix 1 Screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #5
BlueF36
Relatively New
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Never said it was CIC....I said CID.

And that you needed the later NBT-EVO CID or a voltage regulator.
Well you're still incorrect. I had the original screen from the EVO unit installed while it was black. The screen was black because of transport mode. The voltage regulation issue is while using an older model Apix 1 screen with an EVO unit. That was not my issue. Thanks for the feedback though.
Appreciate 0