F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein B8 and Eibach Pro-Kit Springs - Need your feedback
Extreme Powerhouse

07-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #45
bimmerluver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 430I GC

Garage List
2007 328i coupe  [0.00]
2006 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw22915 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerluver View Post
Quote:
Bilstein B8's and Eibach Pro Springs
440xi GC
And those are 19's right! Any feedback on the ride feel?
Yes 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the rear. Rides perfectly with go flats
Staggered set up? Does it cause problem with it being an XI?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #46
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bilstein B8's and Eibach Pro Springs
440xi GC
And those are 19's right! Any feedback on the ride feel?
Yes 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the rear. Rides perfectly with go flats
Staggered set up? Does it cause problem with it being an XI?
No x drive is more about having the tires be within 1% to protect the transfer case.

No issues so far!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #47
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Little update, I finally fitted my B12 kit with 05- eibachs springs... just wow!

The height is just perfect, the car dropped just tad over 23mm so its the ideal height.

The ride is amazing, the wobble is gone completely and the steering has become more responsive due to less body roll.

To give you an idea it feels very similar to an E90 Msport suspension if anyone has driven one. Its still pleasant to drive with plenty of comfort, but the ride is alot firmer. But nothing like coilovers, that would shake the change out of your pocket

The Xdrive model should have come out factory with this setup!

I will post some pics of installation and height difference during the week.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #48
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Little update, I finally fitted my B12 kit with 05- eibachs springs... just wow!

The height is just perfect, the car dropped just tad over 23mm so its the ideal height.

The ride is amazing, the wobble is gone completely and the steering has become more responsive due to less body roll.

To give you an idea it feels very similar to an E90 Msport suspension if anyone has driven one. Its still pleasant to drive with plenty of comfort, but the ride is alot firmer. But nothing like coilovers, that would shake the change out of your pocket

Thanks
Terrific! I’m so glad to hear that you are over the moon with this setup. I can’t wait to do this mod once I get mine from my seller.

So which rear bumpstops did you end up using? The F80 ones or just cutting the OEM ones?

Please post pics when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #49
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
Terrific! I’m so glad to hear that you are over the moon with this setup. I can’t wait to do this mod once I get mine from my seller.

So which rear bumpstops did you end up using? The F80 ones or just cutting the OEM ones?

Please post pics when you get a chance.
Hey, yeah they are a great setup. Just exactly was I was after.

Fronts have built in bump stops and for the rear one just use the standard ones as per Bilstein instructions.
The rear bump stops are built within the rear shock cover/sleeve and to be honest I don't think this will be an issue. You would need to seriously compress the vehicle in order to hit the stops.

I dont have the pictures yet as I had leave the next day for a week, but as soonest im back I will post some.

Check the front damper tho and its travel limit before the bump stop is hit. As well, thats around 3,5" inches of movement. Judging by how the car drives now, I honestly cannot see it compressing that much. Even going over the ramps shes pretty firm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #50
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:

The rear bump stops are built within the rear shock cover/sleeve and to be honest I don't think this will be an issue. You would need to seriously compress the vehicle in order to hit the stops.

I dont have the pictures yet as I had leave the next day for a week, but as soonest im back I will post some.

Check the front damper tho and its travel limit before the bump stop is hit. As well, thats around 3,5" inches of movement. Judging by how the car drives now, I honestly cannot see it compressing that much. Even going over the ramps shes pretty firm.
That’s good to hear. So it sounds like you just reused the OEM rear shock cover/sleeve in your situation. As long as the ride is good, then that is all that matters. I’ve not driven an E90 with the sport suspension but I hear plenty of praise for that chassis’ setup and handling prowess.

It sounds also like that aftermarket sway bars may not be necessary after all to get rid of most of the f30 OEM floatiness.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #51
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Fronts have built in bump stops and for the rear one just use the standard ones as per Bilstein instructions.

To do a bump travel test you'd need to measure your hub to fender distance with the car on the ground, then put the car in the air, remove the spring, jack the knuckle back to the distance that gives you the same hub to fender distance as on the ground, and then measure the amount of shock body/shaft left.

With my Eibach front springs on my B6 bodies that distance was 2.25" of front shock body remaining and with the M3 front springs it was 2.75." The internal bump stops on my B6 were 2.5" long, and even after trimming them 0.5" so they weren't pre-compressed at static ride height they couldn't hold up to my driving and were torn to pieces within a couple thousand miles.

You're likely already compressing the B8 front bump stops if there's 3.5" of shock body remaining when the bump stops engage.

For the rear did you jack up the knuckle to static ride height position to determine you have lots of travel before bump stop engagement? If not, you may already be engaging (like I was) and that may be the cause of the ride feeling pretty firm.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #52
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:

To do a bump travel test you'd need to measure your hub to fender distance with the car on the ground, then put the car in the air, remove the spring, jack the knuckle back to the distance that gives you the same hub to fender distance as on the ground, and then measure the amount of shock body/shaft left.

With my Eibach front springs on my B6 bodies that distance was 2.25" of front shock body remaining and with the M3 front springs it was 2.75." The internal bump stops on my B6 were 2.5" long, and even after trimming them 0.5" so they weren't pre-compressed at static ride height they couldn't hold up to my driving and were torn to pieces within a couple thousand miles.

You're likely already compressing the B8 front bump stops if there's 3.5" of shock body remaining when the bump stops engage.

For the rear did you jack up the knuckle to static ride height position to determine you have lots of travel before bump stop engagement? If not, you may already be engaging (like I was) and that may be the cause of the ride feeling pretty firm.
Thats a great explanation.

I haven't checked the rear bump stop travel, in a method you described. I only measured the hanging axle vs compressed to give me an idea of actual travel. The front strut is actually much shorter then OE strut, and theres quite a bit of tension in the spring so the hub is in a much higher position the before and the car doesn't drop alot once the suspension compresses. . ( as in, theres less of a hang when the car is in the air/jacked up)

If you note in the photo I marked the strut with a permanent marker where the bump stop hits it. So I will check in a few days after some driving if the marker is still visible. ( it quite easy to push the strut cover up so I will see if the marker has been rubber off which will be a clear sign if the car is hitting the stop already.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #53
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
Quote:

That’s good to hear. So it sounds like you just reused the OEM rear shock cover/sleeve in your situation. As long as the ride is good, then that is all that matters. I’ve not driven an E90 with the sport suspension but I hear plenty of praise for that chassis’ setup and handling prowess.

It sounds also like that aftermarket sway bars may not be necessary after all to get rid of most of the f30 OEM floatiness.
Yeah, I didnt even think about the sway bar to be honest. I did look at it, but labour wise it wouldn't be worth my while dropping the subframe and all that for the sake of it. I just wanted a slightly better suspension and handling which in fairness wasn't hard to beat.

The good thing about it is the car doesn't feel like on coilovers where the ride comfort is gone to favor the handling. This is the only thing I was afraid, but yeah you'll be delighted with it!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #54
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I haven't checked the rear bump stop travel, in a method you described. I only measured the hanging axle vs compressed to give me an idea of actual travel. The front strut is actually much shorter then OE strut, and theres quite a bit of tension in the spring so the hub is in a much higher position the before and the car doesn't drop alot once the suspension compresses. . ( as in, theres less of a hang when the car is in the air/jacked up)

If you note in the photo I marked the strut with a permanent marker where the bump stop hits it. So I will check in a few days after some driving if the marker is still visible. ( it quite easy to push the strut cover up so I will see if the marker has been rubber off which will be a clear sign if the car is hitting the stop already.
Thanks
You can see my post here on how to remove the shock from the front strut if you need to chop your front bump stops. Bilstein might use "red" loctite on the nut/shock piston so you might need a torch to heat it up to get those off (using an impact is fine on the nut). I use "blue" loctite when reassembling.

From your droop comments it sounds like your shock body is shorter than mine (makes sense so it doesn't bottom out in the bottom of the strut body with lower springs), but that shouldn't do anything for the exposed end (top mount side) of the shock since that's determined by the spring.

Actually in my picture in the linked post you can see my original Bilstein bump stop torn (outer section tore from inner core)

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:26 AM   #55
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
You can see my post here on how to remove the shock from the front strut if you need to chop your front bump stops. Bilstein might use "red" loctite on the nut/shock piston so you might need a torch to heat it up to get those off (using an impact is fine on the nut). I use "blue" loctite when reassembling.

From your droop comments it sounds like your shock body is shorter than mine (makes sense so it doesn't bottom out in the bottom of the strut body with lower springs), but that shouldn't do anything for the exposed end (top mount side) of the shock since that's determined by the spring.

Actually in my picture in the linked post you can see my original Bilstein bump stop torn (outer section tore from inner core)
I've checked the bumps stops last night.

Rears no issue whatsoever!

Fronts: when car is loaded, ( as in sitting on its wheels) the dampers compress and leaving about half an inch of a space between touching the bump stop. This is not a lot. I figure normal driving or going over some road undulations will hit the bump stop.

But I don't think this is an issue, considering Bilstein have designed the shock to be used with lowering springs in mind.

I had a look at the bumstops itself. They are very very soft, almost like a sponge that compresses freely without any major resistance. They do feel a bit different then a normal bump stop I would say. I guess maybe this is how Bilstein wanted them. Im sure they've done more testing then I did.
Regardless of all that, I cannot see the dampers compressing fully or the car bottoming out as the damping forces in the B8's are insane.

Had the car out on a spirited blast and the front is almost stationary, very very little movements, body roll is gone and theres no bouncing at all, and still I find the car extremely comfortable.

I will post some pics later on.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #56
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fronts: when car is loaded, ( as in sitting on its wheels) the dampers compress and leaving about half an inch of a space between touching the bump stop. This is not a lot. I figure normal driving or going over some road undulations will hit the bump stop.

But I don't think this is an issue, considering Bilstein have designed the shock to be used with lowering springs in mind.

I had a look at the bumstops itself. They are very very soft, almost like a sponge that compresses freely without any major resistance.
Half an inch of travel before bump stop engagement is fine, especially since the stops are so soft.

How long are your stops?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #57
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Half an inch of travel before bump stop engagement is fine, especially since the stops are so soft.

How long are your stops?
yes they are very soft.

Roughly around 2.25" . I didnt bother cutting them or anything since they are so soft, its impossible to even tell you are bouncing off them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #58
jhnmdahl
Rep
Drives: 340 IX

A couple quick photos of my car (340ix with Eibalh pro kit and Bilstein B8 (24-264563, BIL-35264613, and BIL-35264606) after driving for a couple months, at Xpro's request:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
xpro170.00
      07-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #59
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Guys, some help please in determining the right kit for my '16 435ix non-adaptive suspension?
I only see E90-20-031-18-22 for F32 435ix.
Is E90-20-031-18-22 same as E10-20-031-06-22 20mm/15mm lowering or
E10-20-031-05-22 35mm/20mm lowering?
Going with 06-22 should be safer?
xpro FaRKle!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:38 PM   #60
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Guys, some help please in determining the right kit for my '16 435ix non-adaptive suspension?
I only see E90-20-031-18-22 for F32 435ix.
Is E90-20-031-18-22 same as E10-20-031-06-22 20mm/15mm lowering or
E10-20-031-05-22 35mm/20mm lowering?
Going with 06-22 should be safer?
xpro FaRKle!
Go with the E10-20-031-18-22 kit. The front spring from there is F11-20-030-03-VA, same as in the E10-20-031-05-22 kit. It's 15mm shorter than the front spring in the E10-20-031-06-22 kit.

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2019, 02:53 AM   #61
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I would too recommend the lower kit. (-05 equivalent) Apparently with -06 the front sits a bit higher then at the back which can look strange.
I think ACS had the same problem with their 1st gen kit then changed the kit with a lower front spring to rectify this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #62
jhnmdahl
Rep
Drives: 340 IX

Ground clearance with the 06-22 kit installed (with Bilstein B8 shocks) is about 12cm in front, and about 16cm in the back, measured at each axle from the ground to the plastic fairings that seem to form a pretty flat plane along the bottom of the car using a flat piece of plywood pressed against the car bottom. It's a little lower in front than I expected it would be (almost an inch and a half lower than in the rear), but I suppose that's preferable to having it even a touch higher than in the rear.

Although 12cm is over 4.5 inches of ground clearance, I've still lightly scraped the front bumper a couple times driving in and out of driveways so I don't really want it lower. My focus was on making a daily driver handle better and be more fun rather than on achieving a lowered look, so I suspect the 06-22 kit will still be the right choice for some people. Note I also live in Minnesota, where snowfalls of 4+ inches are fairly common, and having a little bit of ground clearance will be beneficial during that part of the year as well.

John

Edit - there's definitely more distance from the top of the wheel to the bottom of the fender in front vs. in rear (12cm vs about 10.5cm), but not so much it looks visibly off - see the attached photo. Because the front undercarriage is already a fair bit lower than the rear, I don't think I'd lower the front more for my purposes.
Attached Images

Last edited by jhnmdahl; 07-30-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 3
xpro170.00
dsc88862.50
      07-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #63
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnmdahl View Post
Ground clearance with the 06-22 kit installed (with Bilstein B8 shocks) is about 12cm in front, and about 16cm in the back, measured at each axle from the ground to the plastic fairings that seem to form a pretty flat plane along the bottom of the car using a flat piece of plywood pressed against the car bottom. It's a little lower in front than I expected it would be (almost an inch and a half lower than in the rear), but I suppose that's preferable to having it even a touch higher than in the rear.

Although 12cm is over 4.5 inches of ground clearance, I've still lightly scraped the front bumper a couple times driving in and out of driveways so I don't really want it lower. My focus was on making a daily driver handle better and be more fun rather than on achieving a lowered look, so I suspect the 06-22 kit will still be the right choice for some people. Note I also live in Minnesota, where snowfalls of 4+ inches are fairly common, and having a little bit of ground clearance will be beneficial during that part of the year as well.

John

Edit - there's definitely more distance from the top of the wheel to the bottom of the fender in front vs. in rear (12cm vs about 10.5cm), but not so much it looks visibly off - see the attached photo. Because the front undercarriage is already a fair bit lower than the rear, I don't think I'd lower the front more for my purposes.
It looks good, plus more ground clearance for snowy areas with bad roads. It also takes care of the ridiculous wheel gap of xDrive in the front. I'm also leaning towards 06-22 with B8s.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #64
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Just for the comparison, I just stitched 2 photos together, 05-22 vs06-22 ( hope you dont mind me using your photo John)

Probably around 5mm if difference, roughly without measuring exactly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dsc88862.50
      08-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #65
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
According to the spec sheets the only functional difference between the 05-22 kit front spring and 06-22 kit front spring is 15mm longer initial length on the 06-22 kit spring. They have the same spring rates. So the delta should be 15mm between them. That said, Eibach has a 5% tolerance for spring rate.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #66
M4UFO
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wal-dog View Post
I would think that would be a great set up. I've got Koni yellows on H&R sport springs and like it.

These Koni shocks are they available for current M3/M4 competition models.
Appreciate 0