F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Cleaning instrument cluster
Studio RSR

08-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Black F32 435i

Cleaning instrument cluster

Help! Previous owner created this odd damage to the instrument cluster and i have tried to clean off with glass cleaner... what methods do you ladies and gentlemen suggest ?

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

08-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Sub'd

I was wondering this myself... Dont really have any damage but always wondering the best way to clean without scratching.

I do have some hairline scratches from previous owner. Not really visible unless the light hits it just right so doesnt bother me too much.

I have the same cluster. Anyone know if its possible to just replace the lens covering? Mine seems to have a bit of dust behind it in certain lighting as well. Wish I could blow it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Try a headlight lens restoration kit, but don't use the sandpaper.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I had great success clearing scratches on my M5 instrument cluster using Novus - https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Pl.../dp/B002UCYRZU
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Make sure when you polish it, you use a foam applicator and NOT a microfiber. Microfiber cloths are way too harsh to combine with polish for that plastic.
      08-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That depends on how badly it's scratched. If you need to use a heavy cut compound to remove the scratches a microfiber pad is better than foam. With medium cut compound and polish you want to use foam.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #7
WallySlash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Sport Line

Garage List
2014 BMW 428xi  [9.00]
Oddly enough I had the same issue.

I purchased my car used so not sure what the previous owner did to create the spots but I used some Meguiar's Plast-X Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish applied with a foam applicator.

It took two rounds of polishing to remove but it worked like a champ. No scratches and no more spots.
Appreciate 1
blakep842.00
      08-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wally is the GOAT!!! The plastx with foam pad worked wonders!
Attached Images

wdeerfield2745.00
      08-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallySlash View Post
Oddly enough I had the same issue.

I purchased my car used so not sure what the previous owner did to create the spots but I used some Meguiar's Plast-X Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish applied with a foam applicator.

It took two rounds of polishing to remove but it worked like a champ. No scratches and no more spots.
you think PlastX would work on piano black interior trim scratches?
      08-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
WallySlash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Sport Line

Garage List
2014 BMW 428xi  [9.00]
I am sure it would although I haven’t tried it myself.

I would think that it would take out some of the smaller less deep scratches. You might want to try some rubbing compound or swirl remover? If the scratches were really deep you could wet sand and then polish like you would your paint? I watched a video by Ammo NYC where he polished some interior trim.

Personally I put CF vinyl over my piano black trim as it was badly scratched near the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallySlash View Post
I would think that it would take out some of the smaller less deep scratches. You might want to try some rubbing compound or swirl remover?
Rubbing compound might be too coarse - I'd try the PlastX or another polishing compound.

From https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...rick-to-PlastX

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products
Here is the complete collection of products Meguiar's offers for working with clear plastics both by hand and machine.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish M10
The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar’s Plastic Polish provides the second step in our two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with our M-1708 Plastic Cleaner. You will reveal the materials natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner M17
Safely removes hairline scratches, dirt and grime. Clear plastic that has lost its clarity due to significant contamination and fine scratches should be treated using our two-step process. Meguiar’s non-abrasive, alcohol-free Plastic Cleaner aggressively cleans and removes scratches without harming the surface. Follow up with our M-1008 Plastic Polish for a perfect finish.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer M18
A single-step solution that keeps clear plastic surfaces pristine. Regain the original crystalline clarity of plastic in need of restoration, using this convenient all-in-one product specially formulated by Meguiar’s. Simply spray it on and wipe it dry. You will safely remove surface contamination and achieve dramatic results on everything from window panels and instrument lenses to eyeglasses, CD's and picture frames.

PlastX
This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, (MDAT), removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meguiar's teaches the philosophy of using the least aggressive product to get the job done. We also teach that surfaces, in this case clear plastic, need to be maintained. Maintaining a surface is an ongoing process, not a one time procedure. Thus in order of aggressiveness...

M10 Plastic Polish - Completely non-aggressive. This is a pure polish that is formulated to restore optical clarity and maintain clear plastic surfaces. M10 Plastic Polish should be used on plastic surfaces in excellent shape to maintain them, and/or after a neglected plastic surface has been pre-cleaned using a dedicated plastic cleaner such as M17 Plastic Cleaner, or PlastX. M10 Plastic polish leaves behind an anti-static surface.

M17 Plastic Cleaner - M17 is a light cleaning polish for clear plastics, it is non-abrasive and and perfect for removing stains, light oxidation and other contaminants off the surface. It can remove very light scratches out of soft plastics when worked thoroughly but gently against the surface. After cleaning with PlastX, for maximum optical clarity and to leave an anti-static finish, apply M10 Plastic Polish.

PlastX - PlastX is a unique plastic cleaner in that it contains a special microscopic diminishing abrasive that enables it to actually remove below surface scratches by removing small particles of plastic surrounding the scratches. After cleaning with PlastX, for maximum optical clarity and to leave an anti-static finish, apply M10 Plastic Polish.

Besides your choice of product, your choice of applicator material can also effect the aggressiveness or gentleness of a product. Meguiar's Hi-Tech Foam Wax applicators are a good choice for gentle cleaning and polishing. For more aggressive cleaning and polishing, try using a material with a nap such as 100% cotton toweling, or our Even Coat Applicators made out of microfiber.

Because clear plastic surfaces tend to be scratch-sensitive, remember that not only is your choice of product and applicator material important, but just as important is the quality and type of removal material, in other words, your wipe-off clothes or towels. For clear plastic surfaces, always use a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth, or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. Inspect your wiping-cloth before using to insure it is clean and free from contaminants and anything that cold instill a scratch into the plastic surface.

When working on plastic surfaces for the first time, and whenever you use a product for the first time, it's always a good idea to test the product, your applicator material and your application process, (In this case your hand and your skill level), in an inconspicuous area. If you cannot make a small area look good with your product, applicator and process, you will not be able to make the entire surface look good, so test first to be an the safe side.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Sub'd

I was wondering this myself... Dont really have any damage but always wondering the best way to clean without scratching.

I do have some hairline scratches from previous owner. Not really visible unless the light hits it just right so doesnt bother me too much.

I have the same cluster. Anyone know if its possible to just replace the lens covering? Mine seems to have a bit of dust behind it in certain lighting as well. Wish I could blow it out.
I'm not sure exactly what cluster this is but, on my 2017 440i I had condensation at the bottom of the lens and I took it in and was told that they do not replace just the lens, but the entire lens/cluster. Since this was a warranty issue, I basically told them I did not care if they had to replace the whole car, just do it. They did, and all is fine. They put same mileage on new cluster, and I had to re-pair phones, re-set memory 1-8 buttons and re-set seat memory. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #13
Bobdubich
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 2015 M4 F83

From your picture is that residue from detailing inside the cluster? I took mine apart and cleaned the plastic on the inside. I just needed a T* to get inside and used Novus plastic cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #14
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdubich View Post
From your picture is that residue from detailing inside the cluster? I took mine apart and cleaned the plastic on the inside. I just needed a T* to get inside and used Novus plastic cleaner.
it was, as gross as it sounds, probably the previous owner sneezing and spitting on the cluster. it came off with the Meguiars polish and foam pad.
      05-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

ive put a screen protector on my cluster and on my center screen
Appreciate 1
blakep842.00
      05-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #16
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongkin View Post
ive put a screen protector on my cluster and on my center screen
that's smart
      06-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdubich View Post
Exactly how did you do this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Bobdubich
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 2015 M4 F83

Its very easy! There are just 2 Torx screws up of the top of the instrument cluster. After removing there are 3 connections to the instrument cluster. Shows it pretty well how to remove.

After removing a Torx 8 will remove the plastic so you can clean.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #19
mtesh73
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430XI

The screen protector idea is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #20
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F262486096674

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F261841331025
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #21
Sagiru
You can pry my 6 Speed from my cold dead fingers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Howdy folks!

A big shout out to everybody who posted on this thread. I had some marks that looked almost exactly like Blakep8's, courtesy of the previous owner. I didn't notice them until the light hit them right (wrong?) a few months after purchase. Dealer wouldn't fix under warranty, and said they'd be happy to put in a whole new cluster for only $1600. Thanks to this thread, I fixed it for about $15.

BTW... the Vid above from Kies Motorsports is spot on.

There are four T8 Torx screws that hold the cluster together. Pull them out, then gently pry up the clips around the exterior. The Cluster will come apart easily. The Novus I ordered didn't take care of the marks, but the Plastx did a great job. I then cleaned it up with the Novus and put it all together.

The only fumble I had was that the two Torx screws you take out at the beginning screw into small metal clips above the cluster. If you aren't careful when you are putting the cluster back (ahem), you can dislodge one of those little tabs and have it fall down into the bowels of the dash.
Appreciate 0