F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake pad options for m Performance brakes
ARMA SPEED

04-10-2019, 01:48 AM   #1
simonator
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi M-Sport - MPPK

Brake pad options for m Performance brakes

I recently purchased M Performance brakes for my 2015 435xi. It is the m-sport model but didn't come with the optional brakes; hence the motivation to upgrade.

I have been reading that many people are dissatisfied with the brake pads that come with the m performance kit, and many have recommended that people substitute the pads. One suggestion I saw was to use F80 pads instead. Is this worth it? I've already spent nearly $2300 on just the kit. But don't want to get it on and realised I should've listened to the forum.

So...

- Should I get different pads? If so are F80/F82 pads the way to go?
- Do these fit the M Performance brakes for the 435?
- Which pads exactly would I be getting? I see some for carbon ceramic and some for standard m3/m4's.
- Best place to buy and/or part numbers?
- Or should I just stick with the pads that come with the m performance kit. Won't they be a vast improvement over the stock non m sport brakes?

I will be having the installation done at a local dealer who have quoted me $1500 for labour. It's the same dealer where I got my Dinan Stage 2, intercooler, and performance exhaust fitted. So I now they do good work.

I really appreciate any help from the forum experts.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
For the pads I like & use the Porterfield R4S - you can get them directly from Porterfield

I've tried:
CoolCarbon (ceramic)=junk
OEM=very dusty
Hawk=med dusting+eventual noise that won't go away

BTW, with that quoted price of $1500 just for install of parts you already paid for - you better get a 'Happy Ending' & free dinner @ Ruth Chris Steak House

Reputable long time local Indie shop to me installed my setup Brembo calipers, 370/345 rotors (inc. new brake lines) & bleeding the correct way for $500, just sayin...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

simonator, M Performance brakes are more than enough to provide superb braking for daily driving conditions. Few items worth noting:

- Slotted / dimpled rotors on M Performance brakes can create noise as the air gets compressed in the dimples and releases when the pad slides over the rotor. It's not a consistent occurrence but quite a few forum members reported it.

- OEM M Performance brake pads provide great initial bite (because the pad compound is softer) but at the price of generating more dust. It's entirely normal. Other brakes pads produce less dust at the expense of initial bite. Rotors and pads have a reverse relationship. Harder pads reduce rotor life. Softer pads prolong rotor life. I personally prefer an aggressive initial bite in daily driving conditions.

Detailed brakes comparison from Turner Motorsports:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-b...ke-Differences

Detailed discussion about M3/M4 braking system:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/04/13/n...-brake-system/
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      04-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
EBC reds work well for plenty of us on the street too.
DP32130 Front
DP32133C Rear
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      04-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
DP32130 Front
DP32133C Rear
+1 for EBC

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
DP32130 Front
DP32133C Rear
+1 EBC Red brake pads work well
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Definitely ditch the OEM pads. They don't perform well and put out a ton of very sticky dust. Since they are brand new you shouldn't have any trouble selling them.

Avoid ceramics. Their selling point is lack of dust but they take forever to heat up. They are more suited for the track. I did a lot of research last summer and many of the tuner staff guys said that they use Hawk HPS 5.0 on their own daily drivers. The Hawk 5.0's had the most recommendations of all the pads that I considered. I've been really happy with them for the past 9 months. I can drive the car hard and it stops on a dime every time.
They warm up fast, have great initial bite and put out much less dust. The dust itself is very light and cleans right off. It's not sticky like the OEM pad dust. A set of four Hawk 5.0 pads will probably cost you about $275.

As an early post said, don't pay the dealer $1,500. It's amazing that they can give quotes that high with a straight face. Installing a complete set of brand new parts is one of the easiest jobs in the world for them. Instead of passing on the savings to you, they priced it like an ala carte menu. Find a local independent shop that works on a lot of BMWs and get a reasonable quote for the actual number of hours that it will take them. Read through your local forum and post a request for recommended local shops. There must be several good shops around Chicago. Give them all a call. Enjoy your brake upgrade!
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 05:31 AM   #8
jdgay22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 428i f33 m sport convertible

brembo has ceramic pads for m msport brakes

Brembo ceramic pads
Fronts p06088n
Rear p06087n
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
For the pads I like & use the Porterfield R4S - you can get them directly from Porterfield

I've tried:
CoolCarbon (ceramic)=junk
OEM=very dusty
Hawk=med dusting+eventual noise that won't go away

BTW, with that quoted price of $1500 just for install of parts you already paid for - you better get a 'Happy Ending' & free dinner @ Ruth Chris Steak House

Reputable long time local Indie shop to me installed my setup Brembo calipers, 370/345 rotors (inc. new brake lines) & bleeding the correct way for $500, just sayin...
Do you happen to have the part number for Porterfield R4S?
I gathered that it was these two from reading other threads, but just wanna make sure.
https://www.lpiracing.com/Porterfiel...-S-p195452.htm
https://www.lpiracing.com/Porterfiel...762p195435.htm
      04-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
simonator
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi M-Sport - MPPK

Thank you to everyone who posted. I really appreciate all the help.

Another quick question, because I definitely have some confusion still........

It was recommended to me by a friend that I switch out the pads that come with the M Performance kit, for F80 pads. I thought these were the same pads? If I was to do this, would I just buy standard OEM f80 pads? How are they different?

Right now I am leaning towards just going with the kit as is, because I'm still a bit unclear on what is the best option for me.

Last edited by simonator; 04-12-2019 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Do you happen to have the part number for Porterfield R4S?
I gathered that it was these two from reading other threads, but just wanna make sure.
https://www.lpiracing.com/Porterfiel...-S-p195452.htm
https://www.lpiracing.com/Porterfiel...762p195435.htm
Yes, you are correct

With the Brembo 4-piston front calipers+either 340 or 370mm rotors = Porterfield AP 1609 R4-S

Brembo 2-piston rear calipers = Porterfield AP 1656 R4-S

LPIRacing that you linked usually has the best pricing & they have a very good listing of fitment info
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:53 AM   #12
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

I just ordered EBC Yellow stuff for front and rear.
Will install them in a few weeks when installing also the new rotors.
Had very good experience with EBC Red stuff on my E46. Very good stopping power in cold and even better in warm. Very low and not agressive dust.
However, decided to give the Yellow stuff a try this time.
They have a higher friction rate than the Red stuff.

You can't go wrong with the Red stuff for normal heavy street use.
If you like to go on tracks, the Yellow stuff will give you more heat resistance and more stopping power.
Others like EBC Orange/Blue stuff are mainly for track use and not recommended for street use. They need to have a certain temp for good braking power.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
ajrettke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Msport

Never tried EBC, but I have had terrible experience with HAWK. They cause noise and dust like OEM with no benefit. Thier staff never got back to my inquires...honestly, powerstop was the only brake pad that has given satisfactory performance. I don't track, but I do derive aggressively....So if you can stomach the cost (seems like you can), go for the EBC...but on a budget go for poweerstop.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Definitely ditch the OEM pads. They don't perform well and put out a ton of very sticky dust. Since they are brand new you shouldn't have any trouble selling them.

Avoid ceramics. Their selling point is lack of dust but they take forever to heat up. They are more suited for the track. I did a lot of research last summer and many of the tuner staff guys said that they use Hawk HPS 5.0 on their own daily drivers. The Hawk 5.0's had the most recommendations of all the pads that I considered. I've been really happy with them for the past 9 months. I can drive the car hard and it stops on a dime every time.
They warm up fast, have great initial bite and put out much less dust. The dust itself is very light and cleans right off. It's not sticky like the OEM pad dust. A set of four Hawk 5.0 pads will probably cost you about $275.
The Hawk pads are awesome above 45º. If temps are below 45º and the weather is snowy or wet the initial bite of the Hawk 5.0's are super sketchy. I've experienced on multiple occasions were I hit the brakes on the highway and got a solid 1 second of nothing..... Then massive bite! Next winter I think I'll throw a set of oem m sport pads in.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBeemer View Post
Quote:

The Hawk pads are awesome above 45º. If temps are below 45º and the weather is snowy or wet the initial bite of the Hawk 5.0's are super sketchy. I've experienced on multiple occasions were I hit the brakes on the highway and got a solid 1 second of nothing..... Then massive bite! Next winter I think I'll throw a set of oem m sport pads in.
Quote:
Quote:

I drove the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads all last winter with the xDrive in snow and nasty weather without any issues. Are you talking about the very first time that you touch the brakes on a very cold morning? I have a stop sign a block from my house that's before I pull out onto the highway. That's the only time that they don't feel a full 100%. My experience has been that coming to a full stop there is enough to heat up the Hawk 5.0's to their operating temperature before I get to the first red light a 1/4 mile away. They are rock solid from there on.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

I have used both EBC Reds and Yellows now on street and AutoX and HPDE. On street both are great but the Reds are my preferred one on street just based on dusting and life.

I ran Reds on track for a few days but they eventually created a ton of runout on the rotor and multiple attempts to re-bed them were unsuccessful. They aren't track pads and aren't meant to be, I have nobody to blame but myself for that.

My friend (BRZ/86 600 pounds less) and I both installed Yellows on our cars this Spring and have been enjoying them on the street and a couple of Autox events. Both of our opinions changed once we hit LRP last week. I have read elsewhere that Yellows can fall apart on track and they were right. We both lost over half the pad in a total of 6 20 minute sessions. We both removed our pads to find them crumbling apart in our hands, chunks of pad material all over the calipers and wheels. Lesson learned.

If you are going to do any track time stay away from these two. It doesn't sound like anyone in here is suggesting that but EBC, especially in their Yellow marketing, are downright misleading when it comes to trackability. Great street pads and fine for AutoX, though.

I'm trying out Hawk HP+ next.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
oceanview207.00
      05-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
I drove the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads all last winter with the xDrive in snow and nasty weather without any issues. Are you talking about the very first time that you touch the brakes on a very cold morning? I have a stop sign a block from my house that's before I pull out onto the highway. That's the only time that they don't feel a full 100%. My experience has been that coming to a full stop there is enough to heat up the Hawk 5.0's to their operating temperature before I get to the first red light a 1/4 mile away. They are rock solid from there on.
Not at all. Just as I said in the wet in combo with temps below 32º the first 2ish seconds of brake pedal do very little. Its extremely scary pressing the pedal to yield almost no result. If I press really hard the brakes bite however it seems to do so unevenly. If I do a lite press of the pedal release and then reapply with meaningful pressure then I seem to have normal braking performance. It's almost like water is accumulating on the braking surface and I need to clear the surface to have normal braking. I have the HAWK 5.0's up front paired with two-piece drilled and slotted rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not at all. Just as I said in the wet in combo with temps below 32º the first 2ish seconds of brake pedal do very little. Its extremely scary pressing the pedal to yield almost no result. If I press really hard the brakes bite however it seems to do so unevenly. If I do a lite press of the pedal release and then reapply with meaningful pressure then I seem to have normal braking performance. It's almost like water is accumulating on the braking surface and I need to clear the surface to have normal braking. I have the HAWK 5.0's up front paired with two-piece drilled and slotted rotors.
What you are describing is normal when it's that cold out. That first tap on the brakes when you are moving is enough friction to heat the pad surfaces up to ideal working temperature. If you were using a pure race pad in that cold temperature the car probably wouldn't stop at all at first touch.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #19
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
What you are describing is normal when it's that cold out. That first tap on the brakes when you are moving is enough friction to heat the pad surfaces up to ideal working temperature. If you were using a pure race pad in that cold temperature the car probably wouldn't stop at all at first touch.
Makes sense. I just wasn't expecting that at all from the 5.0's. From what I remember they were advertised as an OEM+ pad. I was expecting OE bite in all conditions. No I know how to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

From personal experience, EBC Yellow pads are awful. Road performance is average, they wear quickly, and they were shot after a couple of laps on track - very bad fade and, when I took them out at home to inspect them I saw that the pad compound had melted. Never again.

Conversely, the Pagid pads that I'm now running are performing superbly on road and track.

RS4-2 in my StopTech Trophy big brakes on the front, and RSL1 in the stock rears. Excellent bite from cold from the 4-2s (the RSL1s need just a bit of heat in them), really nice pedal modulation, and no gage on track hauling my 1.8 tonne F31 330d down from 130mph or so. They tolerate the heat very well.

They do dust, but that doesn't concern me - I wanted fast road and track performance rather than clean wheels, and the car gets washed most weekends. Also, they can squeal at low speeds, but the performance benefits ate worth it IMO.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:40 PM   #21
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
From personal experience, EBC Yellow pads are awful. Road performance is average, they wear quickly, and they were shot after a couple of laps on track - very bad fade and, when I took them out at home to inspect them I saw that the pad compound had melted. Never again.

Conversely, the Pagid pads that I'm now running are performing superbly on road and track.

RS4-2 in my StopTech Trophy big brakes on the front, and RSL1 in the stock rears. Excellent bite from cold from the 4-2s (the RSL1s need just a bit of heat in them), really nice pedal modulation, and no gage on track hauling my 1.8 tonne F31 330d down from 130mph or so. They tolerate the heat very well.

They do dust, but that doesn't concern me - I wanted fast road and track performance rather than clean wheels, and the car gets washed most weekends. Also, they can squeal at low speeds, but the performance benefits ate worth it IMO.
Agreed. Lesson learned.

I went and tried to get myself some Pagids (on your recommendation) but they don't make pads for the stock caliper. Bummer.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #22
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I had M Performance pads and they dust like shit. Then I switched to the Porterfield R4S and they did dust less, I didn't like the pedal feel and the dust it gives off is very sticky to the wheels. Then I switched to the Powerstop Z16 pads, they are absolute garbage and squealed like hell in the mornings and when wet out.

I am not using Abebono and cannot be happier. No noise and very minimal dust and the dust it gives off is easy to clean off the wheels. Stopping power is very linear and the only downside is that the initial bite when cold is not as good as the stock pads. But that doesn't bother me at all.
Appreciate 0