F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Engine loss of power, issues starting
GetBMWParts

05-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
qalameida
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Engine loss of power, issues starting

So, I'll start off by saying that I'm by no means a technical expert and there could be something painfully obvious I'm missing. Here's the situation and symptoms:

Returning from work today, when leaving an intersection and giving gas, there was a sudden jerking motion and then I suddenly had trouble revving past 2.5-3k. Checked my JB4 on the phone and it was registering 0 boost even though the other functions were being tracked. I also lost any sign of a turbo whistle when I applied more gas.

After getting home and letting the car cool down, I decided to check it again. After starting and stopping the engine once to check for any odd noises or leaks, whenever I went to start the engine, it would idle for a few seconds then sputter and die. On my last attempt, I let it sputter for a bit and then the RPM shot up for a few seconds randomly. At this point I killed it and decided to call it a night while I try to figure out what's going on.

Has anyone had these issues that were tied to similar circumstances? I'd like to get some idea of the issue before bringing in a mechanic. I DO have a CAI and I noticed the vacuum line was extremely taut where it connected to the intake, with the port bent at an angle (image attached). Also, no codes being thrown.

A real head-scratcher
Attached Images

05-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qalameida View Post
So, I'll start off by saying that I'm by no means a technical expert and there could be something painfully obvious I'm missing. Here's the situation and symptoms:

Returning from work today, when leaving an intersection and giving gas, there was a sudden jerking motion and then I suddenly had trouble revving past 2.5-3k. Checked my JB4 on the phone and it was registering 0 boost even though the other functions were being tracked. I also lost any sign of a turbo whistle when I applied more gas.

After getting home and letting the car cool down, I decided to check it again. After starting and stopping the engine once to check for any odd noises or leaks, whenever I went to start the engine, it would idle for a few seconds then sputter and die. On my last attempt, I let it sputter for a bit and then the RPM shot up for a few seconds randomly. At this point I killed it and decided to call it a night while I try to figure out what's going on.

Has anyone had these issues that were tied to similar circumstances? I'd like to get some idea of the issue before bringing in a mechanic. I DO have a CAI and I noticed the vacuum line was extremely taut where it connected to the intake, with the port bent at an angle (image attached). Also, no codes being thrown.

A real head-scratcher
Can you use your JB4 to read the codes and report those back to us? That would be a good place to start.

Maybe JB4 fried your TMAP. Not uncommon.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Fuel pump (HPFP or LPFP)?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Fuel pump (HPFP or LPFP)?
definitely classic symptoms of failing HPFP.
Appreciate 0