F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Watch the BMW F30 3 Series Assembly Process on Rosslyn Production Line
Studio RSR

12-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Supersonic
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
During which part of the process do they apply the rust to the seats?

must have missed that bit....
That's handled by their US based outside contractor, LEAR corporation. Sad, but true.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
I bet if you couldn't see the people's faces in the video and this was relabeled "new production line in Germany" you'd all be going fanboy nuts over how amazing it is.

Seriously, the amount of stereotyping and intolerance in this thread makes me wanna
Tsuyoi

We may not agree on certain things, but this I 1000% agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
To see the video clips is indeed "priceless" them having seen it life in München Germany is a unforgettable experience.

Recommend it highly if any of you are ever in Germany don't miss it

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #27
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
BMW US-based assembly has the worst reputation over here, probably mostly due to the design/quality of the X cars that are produced there. SA isn't generally considered a problem amongst NZ buyers.
I love how so many like to dog the USA. I suspect you're just making a point and I respect that, but lets look at contributions to technology/manufacturing from major nations.

I've been to the Spartanburg plant. Its very well run and many of the workers live and breathe BMW. You see beaters in the parking lot with BMW paraphernalia on them. If you want an X3/5/6 for the entire world it comes off those lines. Says a lot when BMW has confidence to supply X3/5/6 for the entire world from that plant. Plus its the ONLY plant in the BMW system that allows owners to watch the assembly of their vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #28
AndyGF
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
During which part of the process do they apply the rust to the seats?

must have missed that bit....
I see your profile says; "Drives: Golf GTI". If your GTI is a MK5, there is a good chance it was made in south africa too. Of all the golfs produced at the Uitenhage plant, almost 40% of them were all GTI's.

might have missed that bit too...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
arsnlrob
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Alpine White

Mine was made in SA. I've had it 3 weeks and I've noticed:
1. Rusty seat frames
2. Slow coolant leak
3. Buzzing/rattle from HUD
4. Yellow resin overspray all over the rocker panels and under hood. I'm guessing from waterproofing?

My E90 was build like a tank and never had any issues like these.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
AndyGF
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I love how so many like to dog the USA. I suspect you're just making a point and I respect that, but lets look at contributions to technology/manufacturing from major nations.
Do you make that statement on a per-capita basis? Just wondering?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #31
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGF View Post
Do you make that statement on a per-capita basis? Just wondering?
Nope. All it takes is ONE. Do you need examples?

I'm not being argumentative. Having fun with it.

BTW, I have family that lives in Perth.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
I see your profile says; "Drives: Golf GTI". If your GTI is a MK5, there is a good chance it was made in south africa too. Of all the golfs produced at the Uitenhage plant, almost 40% of them were all GTI's.

might have missed that bit too...
Yep, mine is a SA GTI, had no problems with it.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I've been to the Spartanburg plant. Its very well run and many of the workers live and breathe BMW. You see beaters in the parking lot with BMW paraphernalia on them. If you want an X3/5/6 for the entire world it comes off those lines. Says a lot when BMW has confidence to supply X3/5/6 for the entire world from that plant. Plus its the ONLY plant in the BMW system that allows owners to watch the assembly of their vehicle.
My point wasn't so much about the quality of the team at the USA plant - I have no idea what that is like to be honest, I was trying to balance the anti SA sentiment and that more of an issue is the design and engineering of the car. I personally reckon the X1 and X3 don't deserve to carry the BMW badge, no matter where they are assembled.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #34
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Quote:
Hmm, my Munich build 335i Window decal says

Country of Origin:
Engine - Germany
Transmission - Germany

Do SA builds get their N55 from Austria?

BTW, my 2010 E90 I just returned was an SA build. Was virtually trouble free for 36 months.
The Munich factory tour included assembly of the N20 engine. I asked the older gentleman who gave the factory specifically where the N55 was manufactured. He appeared to be an engineer. He wore a white lab coat. He stated Austria.

I googled: ASSEMBLY SITE: STEYR, AUSTRIA

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...usly-efficient
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #35
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
The Munich factory tour included assembly of the N20 engine. I asked the older gentleman who gave the factory specifically where the N55 was manufactured. He appeared to be an engineer. He wore a white lab coat. He stated Austria.

I googled: ASSEMBLY SITE: STEYR, AUSTRIA

http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...usly-efficient
I suppose it could be true. No biggie.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
AndyGF
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Yep, mine is a SA GTI, had no problems with it.
The GTI MK5 is really the come-back GTI in my eyes, MK3/4 being a bit underpowered, and a large percent of the RHD GTI's are SA built. I was wondering if Rich100 knew that, especially with him residing in the UK?

Quote:
Says a lot when BMW has confidence to supply X3/5/6 for the entire world from that plant. Plus its the ONLY plant in the BMW system that allows owners to watch the assembly of their vehicle.
Quote:
I'm not being argumentative. Having fun with it.
Okay... But I suspect that has a lot more to do with marketing, and very little to do with contributions to technology/manufacturing.

By the same token the same could be said for SA built BMW's, 3 series being a mainstay of south african motoring, outselling Americas & Australia's much loved toyota Camry 3 to 1. I know which one I would rather drive...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #37
s2kroma
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a new car

interesting, I think it takes about 7 days to build the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #38
Karazy
Go Fast And Take Chances
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Great videos!
Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #39
incantana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z06/Z07 3LZ; 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
The GTI MK5 is really the come-back GTI in my eyes, MK3/4 being a bit underpowered, and a large percent of the RHD GTI's are SA built. I was wondering if Rich100 knew that, especially with him residing in the UK?

Okay... But I suspect that has a lot more to do with marketing, and very little to do with contributions to technology/manufacturing.

By the same token the same could be said for SA built BMW's, 3 series being a mainstay of south african motoring, outselling Americas & Australia's much loved toyota Camry 3 to 1. I know which one I would rather drive...
I dont think he was talking about BMW specifically or their marketing. I believe he was referring to the amazing contributions that the USA has offered the world.

His point may be summed up better by pointing out that in the last 200 years as America has become established, technology has exploded to a point that trivializes all technological advances made in the thousands of years of recorded history prior to the USA. Many of these advances came from within the USA and many came from other countries. However, it is important to note that other countries have undoubtedly benefited greatly from the establishment of the land of the free.

And so it is interesting that some like to prod at the USA and generally talk down to Americans as if they are less than citizens of other countries. But when you examine the technological advances that have resulted from the stars and stripes, no one should laugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #40
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

I love watching these videos... fantastic

Interesting to see how the process allows for pairs of bumpers to be specified for the cars and sent to the destination car... that cut line that new-gen bmws have across hood almost appears to facilitate production simplification of customization perhaps... now with 4+ bumper variations
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #41
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by incantana View Post
I dont think he was talking about BMW specifically or their marketing. I believe he was referring to the amazing contributions that the USA has offered the world.

His point may be summed up better by pointing out that in the last 200 years as America has become established, technology has exploded to a point that trivializes all technological advances made in the thousands of years of recorded history prior to the USA. Many of these advances came from within the USA and many came from other countries. However, it is important to note that other countries have undoubtedly benefited greatly from the establishment of the land of the free.

And so it is interesting that some like to prod at the USA and generally talk down to Americans as if they are less than citizens of other countries. But when you examine the technological advances that have resulted from the stars and stripes, no one should laugh.
Oh boy. Let's get back on topic eh.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #42
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2 View Post
feel bad for those with south african build, that production line looks like a joke compared to germany and i lived in SA for a year.....i wouldnt want to buy a pencil made from that place.
Please elaborate!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #43
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

Quote:
I bet if you couldn't see the people's faces in the video and this was relabeled "new production line in Germany" you'd all be going fanboy nuts over how amazing it is.

Seriously, the amount of stereotyping and intolerance in this thread makes me wanna
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #44
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:

I agree. But in their defense the German factories do look cleaner and more modern... Or at least in the videos they do.

For Comparison:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604192

I have read a little about the SA plant, and what BMW did there is simply amazing. It would have been like having the whites and blacks together in a factory working as equals right after the civil war in the deep south... Well thats a bit of hyperbole, but hopefully my point is made.

I wish they had more videos about the assembly of the engines. That would be interesting to watch.

Last edited by bimmerjph; 12-21-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0