F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lci shocks
GetBMWParts

11-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Panamera

Lci shocks

It's an itch I've Been considering scratching, wondered if anyone had fitted lci EDC dampers to to pre lci fxx
I understand they are supposed to be a little firmer than pre lci EDC dampers, which I'm guessing is done through internal valving . The rears will be plug and play. The fronts will just need pre lci top hats.
If anyone has done it , does it.
Offer a damper improvement
Is it as straightforward as it seems
Does it throw up any errors using pre lci controller.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

What sort of price are you looking at? Think you might as well go for aftermarket uprated adaptive dampers really.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
What sort of price are you looking at? Think you might as well go for aftermarket uprated adaptive dampers really.
Only aftermarket I know of is kw, and they run too low for me. Can get a set of low mileage lci for around 1/4 of the price of kw. Would have been a nice luxury to have a heads up if it was trouble free and worthwhile though before grabbing the spanners.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

You can re-use your 3 bolt top hats.

Seems a lot for a marginal improvement?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
You can re-use your 3 bolt top hats.

Seems a lot for a marginal improvement?
yes, id thought that, would need to swap the top hats over of anyway to drop the eibachs in.
Don't know how marginal the difference is but would think there must be a performance improvement, pre to post lci have different part no's too.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Have you got the Eibachs fitted currently?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have you got the Eibachs fitted currently?
I do, and jolly good they are too.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R330dx View Post
I do, and jolly good they are too.
I think you would be wasting your time with the shocks, the difference would be extremely subtle, if at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

Well after a 45 min slog and Lci edc dampers now fitted to rear of a pre lci f31,

dash hasn't lit up with errors as yet , but havnt driven yet either. Only visual difference with the dampers is the solenoid housing is slightly longer on the Lci's.
Will probably need the fronts in to see if there a real difference in terms of performance but thought id just try the rears 1st to see if it was flashing warning light errors'ville.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

How did you manage to buy them, get them delivered and fit them already?!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 02:16 AM   #11
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How did you manage to buy them, get them delivered and fit them already?!
Ups next day from Germany for a pair of rears, arrived yesterday afternoon, 45 minutes to fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
FarmerD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

How are you getting on with the new shocks? Any issues and what's your view on any improvement? Might be relevant to me fairly shortly so interested in your feedback

Thanks

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #13
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

havnt got any front lci dampers as yet, I just got the rears hoping the fronts would still be available if I thought the rears had made any real world difference. But the fronts had sold when I made the decision to have the fronts too.

So thoughts thus far with just the rears fitted again with the eibachs all round.

Had no fault issues with the rears, and couldn't be a more straight forward upgrade.

Only done daily driving/commuting with some zesty bursts so far, havnt had a full on b road blast, but for what I have done the difference is quite significant, the rebound control is superior to the pre lci dampers. Ive been through comfort/sport/sport+ to be sure theres no issues, otherwise kept her in comfort which has given me an excellent ride, although the rear does now feel more controlled than the front there does seem to be an overall improvement, I'm guessing because of the improved rear control the edc telemetry to the edc ecu is also calming the front down a little too.

Quite excited to get some fronts fitted asap. If the fronts offer a similar improvement to the rear, think I might have found my happy setup, but I'm not holding my breath.

The ride is sort of reminding me of the passive bilstein b6 with the acs I ran but more sophisticated because of the oe adaptive nature of the dampers and the improved suspension travel the eibachs offer me over the acs.

What has really surprised me so far is the edc has kept up, I'm guessing the damper default mechanical valving is improved so when the edc cant keep up the damper is still doing a decent job. This might also explain the sportier feel in comfort compared to the pre lci rears.

Would be interesting to get any thoughts on anyone else running xdrive Lci edc with eibachs ?
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
arok99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 435i Grand Coupe

Hey thanks for directing me to your thread, didn't want to jack the other guys lol

You now got me wanting to upgrade to the LCI shocks, I've considered getting Bilstein's EDC, I would expect the LCI's would cost a bit more than just going with Bilstein. What made you consider LCI vs Bilstein?

And if you don't mind me asking what was the cost and where did you get them from?

Most of the guys here want that performance stiffer ride, but all I'm looking for is to make comfort even more comfortable and fun to drive lol. I have two kids and a wife that wouldn't appreciate the ride quality in Sport so I don't use it very often. So if I could eliminate the float without the stiffer ride everyone will be happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #15
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arok99 View Post
Hey thanks for directing me to your thread, didn't want to jack the other guys lol

You now got me wanting to upgrade to the LCI shocks, I've considered getting Bilstein's EDC, I would expect the LCI's would cost a bit more than just going with Bilstein. What made you consider LCI vs Bilstein?

And if you don't mind me asking what was the cost and where did you get them from?

Most of the guys here want that performance stiffer ride, but all I'm looking for is to make comfort even more comfortable and fun to drive lol. I have two kids and a wife that wouldn't appreciate the ride quality in Sport so I don't use it very often. So if I could eliminate the float without the stiffer ride everyone will be happy.
I don't think bilstein have released there dtc dampers as yet.

Ive tried b6 and b16pss10 passives , although there are positives wasn't what I was looking for, acquired the rear lci's from Germany pre owned low mileage, had to purchase the fronts new, but with a trade discount etc total came in around the price of the b16pss10 passives.
I found the fronts quite stiff when 1st fitted, but now feel very good, I guessed there was some loosening up time.
I disliked the pre lci bounce and wallow,thats why I tried the usual acs springs then the b6, then the b16. I would say the lci's have taken all the wallow away and around 80% of the bounce away in comfort and 95% in sport.
Very pleased to date and the 1st time with the car I have no desire to play with the suspension
Having now experienced the lci's I do wonder if the reason bilstein havnt released there dtc's is because there struggling to improve/justify them over the lci, using the stock adaptive ecu. maybe, maybe not
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thread revival...

I've just changed my 2015 F22 M235i Adaptive Shocks with 25k miles on them to 2017, LCI Adaptive shocks (with 14k miles) and what a difference!! Much more compliant ride quality! Comfort mode is just what I expect it to be.

Previously the shocks were very bouncy even in comfort mode and struggled with the higher frequency bumps in the road. Now Comfort mode is a revelation and Sport mode is more compliant whilst giving better handling than Comfort!

Both sets of shocks have the same part numbers, just different manufacture year and week dates. Presumably they were redesigned and revalved for LCI cars.

Very pleased!

EDIT: Also to add I now believe there is a wider difference between comfort and sport modes, whereas on the pre-LCI shocks the change was noticeable but smaller in behaviour.

Last edited by Matthewricha; 10-12-2019 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00
      12-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #17
Roromanelli
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d

impressions

hi R330dx Did you also mount the front ones? Can you give me your new impressions? Is it better to mount LCi shock absorbers on Pre LCI?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:06 AM   #18
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roromanelli View Post
hi R330dx Did you also mount the front ones? Can you give me your new impressions? Is it better to mount LCi shock absorbers on Pre LCI?
Hi Roromanelli

Seems a long time ago now but yes i did fit front lci edc dampers and i thought the upgrade was worth it with much improved damper control over pre lci.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Hi R330dx,
Glad to see you're still about.

Interesting thread.
If I understand correctly you had an f31 with EDC and tried ACS springs with the original pre LCI dampers. Then went through iterations of B6 and B16 both passive dampers before trying the LCI EDC dampers, which you settled on.

Some questions:
Did you use the ACS springs with the LCI dampers?
You mention your dislike for bounce and wallow and how it was much reduced, but what about harshness? Did you find harshness a problem with the pre LCI suspension, and how was this aspect with the LCI dampers?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:41 AM   #20
Roromanelli
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d

Quote:
Originally Posted by R330dx View Post
Hi Roromanelli

Seems a long time ago now but yes i did fit front lci edc dampers and i thought the upgrade was worth it with much improved damper control over pre lci.
ok, thanks for the reply. I will also try to mount Lci on pre LCI M-sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 03:22 PM   #21
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Has anyone done this on the 6 cylinder models? Reason I ask is the engine is different in the LCI models (B58) vs the Pre-LCI models (N55).
Appreciate 0