F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Ambient lighting. We’re there different options?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-08-2021, 01:56 AM   #1
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Ambient lighting. We’re there different options?

My car does have the ambient lighting. However, on the doors, it only lights up the open door handle. I can also change the light color to white or orange. I’ve seen some pics where the plastic strip also had lights underneath. I know there are aftermarket options but I think there was a factory option because the aftermarkets are very bright while the factory one is very dim. I think mine was the first year of the LCI as mine was still labeled 328 instead of 330. Maybe they changed the lights in the later LCI years?

Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:37 AM   #2
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocomppro View Post
My car does have the ambient lighting. However, on the doors, it only lights up the open door handle. I can also change the light color to white or orange. I've seen some pics where the plastic strip also had lights underneath. I know there are aftermarket options but I think there was a factory option because the aftermarkets are very bright while the factory one is very dim. I think mine was the first year of the LCI as mine was still labeled 328 instead of 330. Maybe they changed the lights in the later LCI years?

Can anyone confirm?
I honestly don't remember if my 328i had ambient lighting. Look under the door trim just above the arm rest to see if there is a light strip there. It might just be very dim and can be brightened a bit with the instrument cluster dimmer on your dash. You can also code it to be independent of that dimmer then set it to max in iDrive. In all honesty it's not that bright.

There are aftermarket plastic strips that basically catch the light and have it visible. Basically the plastic trim lights up and you will end up seeing a bar of light if that makes sense. Here is it installed in my F80. It's not terribly bright, but it improves the interior a bit.
Attached Images

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:53 AM   #3
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I honestly don't remember if my 328i had ambient lighting. Look under the door trim just above the arm rest to see if there is a light strip there. It might just be very dim and can be brightened a bit with the instrument cluster dimmer on your dash. You can also code it to be independent of that dimmer then set it to max in iDrive. In all honesty it's not that bright.

There are aftermarket plastic strips that basically catch the light and have it visible. Basically the plastic trim lights up and you will end up seeing a bar of light if that makes sense. Here is it installed in my F80. It's not terribly bright, but it improves the interior a bit.
Mine definitely does not have lights under there. And yeah, I saw the inserts and that’s what got me browsing for them. But man, just strips of plastic for $63... talk about gouging... gonna go with that 9 color aftermarket one and will likely get the strips as it makes it look like the G20.
Appreciate 1
jmg18663.00
      12-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

I have an LCI F32 and the OEM lights aren't very bright either. Those plastic strips help focus the light so it's more visible but brightness remains the same.

If you're interested in changing the colors of your ambient lighting while making it brighter (or just making it brighter) there's a German company that sells replacement LED modules that are super easy to swap out. It provides a different color and white combination instead of amber/white and they also offer the standard amber/white combination. I've bought from the company and done the swap myself and bought the blue/white modules. They were supposed to come out with a replacement module for the LCI radio trim, but I've yet to see it released unfortunately. They're super bright but you can lower the brightness within iDrive of course if you'd like.

For the door ambient lighting strips (need 4 of these):

https://www.benzinfabrik.com/de/led-...htung-fuer-bmw

For the floor board (need 2 of these):

Check out the thread at the link below for more info and pictures.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=62

Last edited by eff32fl; 12-08-2021 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
I have an LCI F32 and the OEM lights aren't very bright either. Those plastic strips help focus the light so it's more visible but brightness remains the same.

If you're interested in changing the colors of your ambient lighting while making it brighter (or just making it brighter) there's a German company that sells replacement LED modules that are super easy to swap out. It provides a different color and white combination instead of amber/white and they also offer the standard amber/white combination. I've bought from the company and done the swap myself and bought the blue/white modules. They were supposed to come out with a replacement module for the LCI radio trim, but I've yet to see it released unfortunately. They're super bright but you can lower the brightness within iDrive of course if you'd like.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=62
Holy shit! I just took a look again and it does have the lights under the strip! It’s so freaking dim I never realize it’s there!!! The settings in iDrive is at max and it’s dim as hell... I got the 9 color NBT one from aliexpress and the diffuse strips on Amazon... I’ll update after install... crazy after 5 years never knew it had lights there...
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      12-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #6
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=62
Holy shit! I just took a look again and it does have the lights under the strip! It’s so freaking dim I never realize it’s there!!! The settings in iDrive is at max and it’s dim as hell... I got the 9 color NBT one from aliexpress and the diffuse strips on Amazon... I’ll update after install... crazy after 5 years never knew it had lights there...
Just FYI. Even if the setting in Idrive is set to
Max. The ambient lighting inside the door trim does dim along with the instrument cluster. So if you have your instrument cluster dimmed through the control next to the lights auto/on/off then most likely your ambient lighting is dimmed.
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      12-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardate View Post
Max. The ambient lighting inside the door trim does dim along with the instrument cluster. So if you have your instrument cluster dimmed through the control next to the lights auto/on/off then most likely your ambient lighting is dimmed.
Yeah it’s maxed as well. I think it’s because I have the black interior. Just absorbs all the light. But I see that it’s uneven as well as there’s only a single light source instead of the whole strip lighting up like the aftermarkets.

My wife got the G20 and I was so jealous of the ambient lighting... lol
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardate View Post
Yeah it’s maxed as well. I think it’s because I have the black interior. Just absorbs all the light. But I see that it’s uneven as well as there’s only a single light source instead of the whole strip lighting up like the aftermarkets.

My wife got the G20 and I was so jealous of the ambient lighting... lol
The whole thing should be lit up. Maybe it went bad? Those plastic strips will help, but it's not going to be as bright as the G series.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The whole thing should be lit up. Maybe it went bad? Those plastic strips will help, but it's not going to be as bright as the G series.
The whole thing lights up. But since it’s only a single light source and the strip is only a diffuser, it gets dimmer and dimmer towards the rear. And all 4 doors are like this. It was so dim that I never knew it was there for the whole 5 years I had the car! Hope the aftermarket ones fixes that. Combine with the rip off diffusers from Amazon hopefully can somewhat replicate the G20.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The whole thing lights up. But since it’s only a single light source and the strip is only a diffuser, it gets dimmer and dimmer towards the rear. And all 4 doors are like this. It was so dim that I never knew it was there for the whole 5 years I had the car! Hope the aftermarket ones fixes that. Combine with the rip off diffusers from Amazon hopefully can somewhat replicate the G20.
Lol don't feel so bad. Same thing happened to me in my first F80. I didn't know they were even there!

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
sqwinny
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

I installed these. They are super bright. Better than the plastic strips. They Work well with the I drive settings. Easy install, just takes some patience. Matches the LCI radio trim as well. I have them set at below 1/2 brightness all the time.

Interior Car Lights, Car LED Strip Light Upgrade 2 Colors Car Door Panel Ambient Light Fit for 3 Series F30 2013-2019 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K3HQLD3...6ZQ4E221FPF0RC

Install video + brightness.

MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol don't feel so bad. Same thing happened to me in my first F80. I didn't know they were even there!
Thanks buddy. I’ll report back once I get everything installed... probably in a month since it’s shipping from China.
Appreciate 1
AlpineG30113.00
      12-14-2021, 12:10 AM   #13
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Attachment 2764959
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
I installed these. They are super bright. Better than the plastic strips. They Work well with the I drive settings. Easy install, just takes some patience. Matches the LCI radio trim as well. I have them set at below 1/2 brightness all the time.

I got the ones where you can change 9 colors from Aliexpress. Still on its way... but I did get the Amazon plastic strips and they work OK on the stock lights. Hopefully the aftermarkets will really make these pop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
My car does have the ambient lighting. However, on the doors, it only lights up the open door handle. I can also change the light color to white or orange. I’ve seen some pics where the plastic strip also had lights underneath. I know there are aftermarket options but I think there was a factory option because the aftermarkets are very bright while the factory one is very dim. I think mine was the first year of the LCI as mine was still labeled 328 instead of 330. Maybe they changed the lights in the later LCI years?

Can anyone confirm?
My 14 Pre-LCI Sport Line definitely has ambient lighting underneath the plastic trim strips on the doors, but it's pretty faint. Post LCI loaners I have had seem to be brighter. I can choose White (Sport) or Amber (Classic) lighting; but the Amber is even harder to see than White (my interior is black).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:42 PM   #15
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got everything done. It is very involved and at least 8 hours of work but the end result is, well, see for yourself.

It is much brighter than stock. Visible in day time. All controlled through iDrive. Minor coding which is very easy if you’ve coded before. The color displayed in iDrive is wrong though and I’m trying to figure out if I can change the color names... the last color is interesting as it slowly cycles through the spectrum. Together with the $63 Amazon diffusers (collector?), it looks very classy and professional. But god damn it’s a lot of work... total about $250 spent.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
eff32fl1051.50
jmg18663.00
      12-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #16
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also, what’s great is that it’s on even if you don’t have parking lights on. It turns on when you open the door, and stays on about 30 seconds after you close it.

The kit: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqxmkP6

The Amazon diffuser: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG65LWJ...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:52 PM   #17
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Looks good! The blue is a nice deep blue which seems rare with the Chinese products (usually a light "ice" blue).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:05 PM   #18
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Wow that looks pretty good! Any night shots? Any humming while it's on like the other Chinese kits? I wish this was around sooner so I could have enjoyed it with F30 and F80!

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 12:26 AM   #19
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow that looks pretty good! Any night shots? Any humming while it's on like the other Chinese kits? I wish this was around sooner so I could have enjoyed it with F30 and F80!
No humming no noise at all. This is at 1/3 brightness. Full brightness is too bright.. Wife’s car was next to the mine in the garage so couldn’t open the door all the way...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
AlpineG30113.00
jmg18663.00