F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Stuttering/slipping at mid-range RPM (manual)
proTUNING Freaks

12-05-2021, 04:10 AM   #1
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Stuttering/slipping at mid-range RPM (manual)

Morning guys,

Been noticing the past three days some changes in the way the car drives.

- 2013 328i manual (6 speed)
- 122k miles
- Trans/diff fluid done at 60k miles
- Timing chain replaced at 98k miles
- Original fuel pump and high pressure pump
- Turbo does have wastegate rattle
- Bootmod3 stage 1 93 octane (had this since the start with no issues)
- Currently only one code for the thermostat (have the parts, changing this week)

For a while I noticed when I would accelerate 50%+ give or take in 6th gear on the highway the car would shutter a bit then continue accelerating. The past few days I've noticed, so far, that in 3rd and 4th gear around 3500rpm when I accelerate or am already accelerating from a lower rpm there is sometimes stuttering and once some slipping in the rpm (rpm's go up a bit then drop back down to where it was and increase normally).

Being honest I did have a track day two months ago and in one session my rev-matching to downshift was a bit off and I had a few 4th to 3rd downshifts with no rev-matching (no over speeding on the engine).

Not too sure what is creating this issue. Fuel related, turbo going or clutch/trans. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will try to film this today after work.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Morning guys,

Been noticing the past three days some changes in the way the car drives.

- 2013 328i manual (6 speed)
- 122k miles
- Trans/diff fluid done at 60k miles
- Timing chain replaced at 98k miles
- Original fuel pump and high pressure pump
- Turbo does have wastegate rattle
- Bootmod3 stage 1 93 octane (had this since the start with no issues)
- Currently only one code for the thermostat (have the parts, changing this week)

For a while I noticed when I would accelerate 50%+ give or take in 6th gear on the highway the car would shutter a bit then continue accelerating. The past few days I've noticed, so far, that in 3rd and 4th gear around 3500rpm when I accelerate or am already accelerating from a lower rpm there is sometimes stuttering and once some slipping in the rpm (rpm's go up a bit then drop back down to where it was and increase normally).

Being honest I did have a track day two months ago and in one session my rev-matching to downshift was a bit off and I had a few 4th to 3rd downshifts with no rev-matching (no over speeding on the engine).

Not too sure what is creating this issue. Fuel related, turbo going or clutch/trans. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will try to film this today after work.
Clutch slip is very easy to see in datalogs and typically occurs in low RPM high load situations. If its reproduceable, log that and you can confirm its clutch slip.
Appreciate 1
Solidjake945.00
      12-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Clutch slip is very easy to see in datalogs and typically occurs in low RPM high load situations. If its reproduceable, log that and you can confirm its clutch slip.
Thanks. I think I can make logs with Bootmod3 from what I've read. I'll get my laptop/cable ready for my next drive.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #4
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Even without logging, just look at your gauges. if the RPMs go up but the speed stays the same, the clutch is slipping. Typically when it's worn, it slips in high gears first. Then slowly gets worse and worse and slips in lower and lower gears.

Also sometimes the car throws a hidden code. Do a diagnostic code and see if you see anything about "clutch plausibility" or something like that.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Even without logging, just look at your gauges. if the RPMs go up but the speed stays the same, the clutch is slipping. Typically when it's worn, it slips in high gears first. Then slowly gets worse and worse and slips in lower and lower gears.

Also sometimes the car throws a hidden code. Do a diagnostic code and see if you see anything about "clutch plausibility" or something like that.
Yea I saw some vids on it and it looked similar. The clutch/flywheel is only $440 from FCP with lifetime warranty so it's not too bad. I'll keep an eye out and in the meantime call three shops and see what they charge.

Thanks man. I'll check for codes later.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Sounds like clutch slip. Easiest way to check is put it in the highest gear and floor it. It will show up there long before it's noticeable in the lower gears due to the gear ratios.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Sounds like clutch slip. Easiest way to check is put it in the highest gear and floor it. It will show up there long before it's noticeable in the lower gears due to the gear ratios.
I appreciate it, thanks. Will try it today in 5th gear. I'm that it's the clutch.

$440 from FCP euro with lifetime warranty. One shop quoted me $1,200 for labor.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 04:26 PM   #8
Clefmonster
Word
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 6MT

craziest thing... Also have 6mt '14, 105k miles, stage 1 91(acn). Had the same problem around 3500 rpm.. I replaced my battery yesterday and problems were resolved... What?
Appreciate 0