F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Farewell F31 340i hello G01 M40i
proTUNING Freaks

07-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #1
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Farewell F31 340i hello G01 M40i

After 3 years and 4 months I have traded in my 38000m 2016 F31 340i for a X3 m40i. On reflection, the F31 was a good car, just not a great car - here are my final thoughts at 38000 miles;

Good
Looks - I think the F31 was the best looking Fx model, even on 18’s
B58 is a sublime engine blending power and economy. On it’s last trip to Sheffield I averaged 42MPG!!
Quality of fixtures and fittings - excellent, nothing broke and still felt like new
Loved the split hatch; why couldn’t they offer this on the X3?
Cheaper car tax

Not so good
Suspension (non adaptive) - reasonably comfortable but crashed badly over imperfections
Road noise very poor compared to my previous E91
Lack of steering feel
Reliability; it needed new front shocks, numerous coolant ‘leaks’, new injectors (excessive noise), whining / whistling gearbox (characteristic apparently), squeaky door seals, significant brake squeal - needed new disks and pads
Paint and glass seemed to chip very easily
Air conditioning weak even after regas
Non adaptive LED lights were very disappointing
Hard rear seats
Brake clunk / judder - characteristic!

The X3 M40i feels like a more grown up version of 340i...definitely significantly quieter! I managed to find a heavily discounted stock car with most of the options I wanted from a dealer who also wanted my old car (F31 340i) and offered me a really decent price for it I have attached some pictures of my new X3 M40i on collection day, spec is;

Sophistio Grey
Oyster Leather
MSport+ Package
Comfort Package
Technology Package
Display Key (not sure about this)

I’ve got loads of stuff to sell which I will put in the classifieds soon
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Rbrown2765.50
Jim23k57.50
      07-18-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Great looking car!

Interested to hear how it compares to your previous car - once broken in! I'm still loving mine!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:01 AM   #3
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Congrats and good job you're rid of the F31!

Agree re the split hatch, poor that it's missing. Could it be down to the size of the rear hatch glass so a hazard of some kind, compared to the smaller glass size in a touring?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Display key is a joke. It's thin but wide and what you see, can be found on the app. Also by having the display key, annoyingly replaces the spare fob.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #5
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Lovely car in a lovely colour, needs lowering
      07-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Do you get a rucksack to carry key in?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Display key is a joke. It's thin but wide and what you see, can be found on the app. Also by having the display key, annoyingly replaces the spare fob.
That's why I didn't spec the technology pack.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      07-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #8
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Do you get a rucksack to carry key in?
Comes with a trailer.
Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      07-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #9
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
The gesture control, also a joke (switched off), but the wireless charging and HUD are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great write up and lovely cars!

Sophisto Grey on Oyster, choice of champs

I think I have used the display key once. I might get it out again for a laugh today.
      07-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The gesture control, also a joke (switched off), but the wireless charging and HUD are awesome.
I did spec HUD, but i like my phone where i can see it, and connected to USB-C for fast charging.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did spec HUD, but i like my phone where i can see it, and connected to USB-C for fast charging.
I've got to say the wireless charging makes my phone (IPhone XS), go nuts when it's connected via Carplay.... gets too hot and starts going a bit wierd.

How to you charge via usb-c from the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've got to say the wireless charging makes my phone (IPhone XS), go nuts when it's connected via Carplay.... gets too hot and starts going a bit wierd.

How to you charge via usb-c from the car?
One of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KW1W3..._bMgmDbETK4H18

And a genuine Apple USB-C cable.

I actually got one of these:

Cigarette Lighter Socket, Enisina Waterproof Marine Grade 12V/24V DC lighter socket plug Outlet for Boat Motorbike Car,With 0.6m Connection Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPM1W..._BNgmDb78T7CWN

And wired it directly to the permanent live in the fuse box, so the wires are all behind the dash and if I’m away from home and my phone needs charge I can leave it charging in the car while it’s locked.

Appreciate 2
kitster541.00
      07-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #14
Jim23k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
After 3 years and 4 months I have traded in my 38000m 2016 F31 340i for a X3 m40i. On reflection, the F31 was a good car, just not a great car - here are my final thoughts at 38000 miles;

Good
Looks - I think the F31 was the best looking Fx model, even on 18’s
B58 is a sublime engine blending power and economy. On it’s last trip to Sheffield I averaged 42MPG!!
Quality of fixtures and fittings - excellent, nothing broke and still felt like new
Loved the split hatch; why couldn’t they offer this on the X3?
Cheaper car tax

Not so good
Suspension (non adaptive) - reasonably comfortable but crashed badly over imperfections
Road noise very poor compared to my previous E91
Lack of steering feel
Reliability; it needed new front shocks, numerous coolant ‘leaks’, new injectors (excessive noise), whining / whistling gearbox (characteristic apparently), squeaky door seals, significant brake squeal - needed new disks and pads
Hard rear seats

The X3 M40i feels like a more grown up version of 340i...definitely significantly quieter! I managed to find a heavily discounted stock car with most of the options I wanted from a dealer who also wanted my old car (F31 340i) and offered me a really decent price for it I have attached some pictures of my new X3 M40i on collection day, spec is;

Sophistio Grey
Oyster Leather
MSport+ Package
Comfort Package
Technology Package
Display Key (not sure about this)

I’ve got loads of stuff to sell which I will put in the classifieds soon
Thanks
Great write up. Tell me more about the new injections. Did warranty cover it and where did you take it / how did you convince them? Were the new ones quieter? Cheers
Appreciate 1
GBR1338.00
      07-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim23k View Post
Great write up. Tell me more about the new injections. Did warranty cover it and where did you take it / how did you convince them? Were the new ones quieter? Cheers
It really depends on the dealer. My local dealer was not interested. In the end I went to my original supplying dealer (Sytner High Wycombe) for an MOT and asked them to check as part of the end of warranty service (free). They agreed the injectors were excessively noisy (clack, clack clack...) and managed to replace all 6 within warranty.

Initially they were quieter but noticed on cold start that they were getting slightly noisier again but much quieter once warmed up. In an enclosed space (i.e. garage) they were still very 'tappety' but not as bad as before.

I genuinely think this is a characteristic on earlier B58's...are you having similar issues?

Cheers,
Minty
Appreciate 1
Jim23k57.50
      07-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #16
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One of these:

Cigarette Lighter Socket, Enisina Waterproof Marine Grade 12V/24V DC lighter socket plug Outlet for Boat Motorbike Car,With 0.6m Connection Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPM1W..._BNgmDb78T7CWN

And wired it directly to the permanent live in the fuse box, so the wires are all behind the dash and if I’m away from home and my phone needs charge I can leave it charging in the car while it’s locked.

Judging by the windscreen the Idrive new feature is to play songs for the weather...Brilliant..

Last edited by mikeoz; 07-18-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Quote:
One of these:

Judging by the windscreen the Idrive new feature is to plays songs for the weather...Brilliant..
I wondered if anyone would spot that!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #18
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:
Hard rear seats
Interesting. I'm surprised after suffering these issues you stuck with BMW. To me, new shocks, pads, discs, coolant leaks, new Injectors etc would be totally unacceptable and I would be back to Lexus quicker than a rat up a drain pipe

I'm only 9 months and 5K from new and the doors have squeeked on one occasion, it was all a bit odd but nothing since.

I guess serious mileage highlights these issues. I'm still making my mind up if its a keeper or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #19
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Welcome to the X3 M40i club!

Don't expect fuel economy to be anywhere near your 340i!

And yes, the digital key is a complete waste of time. Ours went straight in the drawer when we got home and has stayed there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #20
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Welcome to the X3 M40i club!

Don't expect fuel economy to be anywhere near your 340i!

And yes, the digital key is a complete waste of time. Ours went straight in the drawer when we got home and has stayed there.
That sounds like a perfect solution..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #21
Jim23k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
It really depends on the dealer. My local dealer was not interested. In the end I went to my original supplying dealer (Sytner High Wycombe) for an MOT and asked them to check as part of the end of warranty service (free). They agreed the injectors were excessively noisy (clack, clack clack...) and managed to replace all 6 within warranty.

Initially they were quieter but noticed on cold start that they were getting slightly noisier again but much quieter once warmed up. In an enclosed space (i.e. garage) they were still very 'tappety' but not as bad as before.

I genuinely think this is a characteristic on earlier B58's...are you having similar issues?

Cheers,
Minty
Thanks minty. Mine are a bit noisy under load but Sandal Wakefield just put it down to injector noise and a local indy though it was a normal sound from the high pressure fuel system. A few others have reported it too so does seem to be a B58 characteristic with some being more audible than others. I might get them checked again at some point. Cheers for the info and enjoy the new motor 😁
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim23k View Post
Quote:

Cheers,
Minty
Thanks minty. Mine are a bit noisy under load but Sandal Wakefield just put it down to injector noise and a local indy though it was a normal sound from the high pressure fuel system. A few others have reported it too so does seem to be a B58 characteristic with some being more audible than others. I might get them checked again at some point. Cheers for the info and enjoy the new motor
to be honest, nosey injectors were one if the big reasons I jumped out of my 340i, if I was being unkind, I would say it sounded like s bag if spammers. I'm sure I was overly sensitive about it but it did p*** me off.

the x3 looks lovely though, really growing to fancy an SUV think I'm getting old!

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0