F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Made it through a flooded street, but won't start again.
GetBMWParts

07-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #23
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Not to take away from your issues, Lexbimmer. I'm just reporting what the dealer and insurance company told me. I hope your car can be rehabbed, and permanently.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #24
lexbimmer
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
Not to take away from your issues, Lexbimmer. I'm just reporting what the dealer and insurance company told me. I hope your car can be rehabbed, and permanently.
Quote:
No worries! Glad for the update! It's been a hectic morning for me. But they must've come to me right after you. Met the adjuster at apparently water did get in my car. I just didn't bother to pull up my floor mats to inspect closely! We also popped the hood and could see that the air filter was still damp. I'm getting it towed to the BMW dealership and go from there.

How long did you have to wait to get an estimate for repairs? The insurance adjuster said she was just there earlier and they were super backed up. But when I called and spoke to the receptionist or whoever answers the phone, she said they were trying to get back to everyone with in 24 hours. I'm not sure who to believe. I guess it would've made more sense to get it towed right after it happened instead of waiting on insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #25
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbimmer View Post
No worries! Glad for the update! It's been a hectic morning for me. But they must've come to me right after you. Met the adjuster at apparently water did get in my car. I just didn't bother to pull up my floor mats to inspect closely! We also popped the hood and could see that the air filter was still damp. I'm getting it towed to the BMW dealership and go from there.

How long did you have to wait to get an estimate for repairs? The insurance adjuster said she was just there earlier and they were super backed up. But when I called and spoke to the receptionist or whoever answers the phone, she said they were trying to get back to everyone with in 24 hours. I'm not sure who to believe. I guess it would've made more sense to get it towed right after it happened instead of waiting on insurance.
The air filter is damp??? Doesn't sound good, I'm afraid.

I called last Wednesday afternoon, right after it happened. Originally, they told me on Thursday, the inspection was scheduled for Monday 7/22. I asked if they could move it up, as I was paying for a rental car. And wonder upon wonders, they did, to today, one week after the event. "Becky Dykes," the adjuster, called me at about 11:00 this morning, and she emailed the estimate at 11:30. I asked my questions of the service advisor at Peake, was satisfied, and told him to go ahead.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wet air filter could be a bad sign. Hopefully just a little wet. That was the first sign my old e46 was going to be sold for parts. In my case, the filter was dripping wet and the air box was partly filled with water. So the net result for me was that a lot of water was forced into the air intake and once it entered the cylinders bad physics happened. It was an easy test at the shop to show that I had weak compression due to damage to the rods, etc. hopefully they can identify quickly and accurately if your car is a keeper or a source of parts. As stated early good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #27
lexbimmer
Rep

Quote:
The air filter is damp??? Doesn't sound good, I'm afraid.

I called last Wednesday afternoon, right after it happened. Originally, they told me on Thursday, the inspection was scheduled for Monday 7/22. I asked if they could move it up, as I was paying for a rental car. And wonder upon wonders, they did, to today, one week after the event. "Becky Dykes," the adjuster, called me at about 11:00 this morning, and she emailed the estimate at 11:30. I asked my questions of the service advisor at Peake, was satisfied, and told him to go ahead.
Yeah. You were smart. I should've just towed it the BMW asap. I guess I'll know for next time it floods...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #28
lexbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Wet air filter could be a bad sign. Hopefully just a little wet. That was the first sign my old e46 was going to be sold for parts. In my case, the filter was dripping wet and the air box was partly filled with water. So the net result for me was that a lot of water was forced into the air intake and once it entered the cylinders bad physics happened. It was an easy test at the shop to show that I had weak compression due to damage to the rods, etc. hopefully they can identify quickly and accurately if your car is a keeper or a source of parts. As stated early good luck.
Yeah. Honestly, as much as I loved that car, I'm hoping they just total it out.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      07-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #29
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Usually when the engine swallows water it stalls because water can't be compressed. It can lift the head or bend the crank. If the filter is damp it might have prevented the water to get into the engine but some of the sensors on this way might be reading wrong values and prevent the car from starting. There a a couple of temp sensors and the boost sensor.

But if you get the engine to work again you still have the issue with the water in the carpet... yuk
      07-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #30
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Lexbimmer, what's been going on with your car? Peake just now got the carpets in for my car, so it almost certainly won't be ready much before Saturday, and maybe next week.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #31
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, and Lexbimmer,

I came right out and asked the Peake service advisor if they could get me a loaner, and they obliged! Possibly because it's a slow time (though I know they have a lot of flooded cars to work on), possibly because I did buy the car there, they gave me an X3. It feels like piloting a killer whale instead of riding a leopard (the 328i), but boy, am I glad to have it! You could ask too. All they can say is no.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #32
lexbimmer
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and Lexbimmer,

I came right out and asked the Peake service advisor if they could get me a loaner, and they obliged! Possibly because it's a slow time (though I know they have a lot of flooded cars to work on), possibly because I did buy the car there, they gave me an X3. It feels like piloting a killer whale instead of riding a leopard (the 328i), but boy, am I glad to have it! You could ask too. All they can say is no.
Quote:
Oh, and Lexbimmer,

Hey! Sorry just now getting back to you! Didn't see any notifications and just logged back in. I ended up getting mine back on 7/29. They didn't replace my carpet, but they did take it out until it was completely dry. I just got a little bit of water in mine though. You couldn't even tell unless you pulled up the floor mats.

I don't have my receipt of everything they did with me at the moment, and aside from the carpet, they replaced the speakers under the seats. Total work was around $5K, with about half of that going to labor. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

That's good to know about a loaner car though. My friend was kind enough to let me borrow their jaguar XKR-S while mine was in the shop, so I was perfectly happy! But I will definitely ask in the future (hopefully won't need to for a while though!)

I assume you got your car back by now?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #33
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Glad you got your car back. Enjoy and stay out of big puddles....
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #34
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
. . . I ended up getting mine back on 7/29. They didn't replace my carpet, but they did take it out until it was completely dry. I just got a little bit of water in mine though. You couldn't even tell unless you pulled up the floor mats.

I don't have my receipt of everything they did with me at the moment, and aside from the carpet, they replaced the speakers under the seats. Total work was around $5K, with about half of that going to labor. All in all, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

That's good to know about a loaner car though. My friend was kind enough to let me borrow their jaguar XKR-S while mine was in the shop, so I was perfectly happy! But I will definitely ask in the future (hopefully won't need to for a while though!)

I assume you got your car back by now?
No, Lexbimmer,

The dealer told me that they would need to have the insurance adjuster come back out, as they had discovered that the window motor needed replacing and probably some more things. That was when I asked for, and was given, the X3 loaner.

Then on Friday, a chirpy lady from Peake calls and asks, "Have you thought about replacing your car?"

I went, "What??!!??" (like the guy on the "Mayhem" TV commercial) "My car was in for repair!"

"Oh! sorry -- they told me it was totaled."

The service advisor called and confirmed that other things had cropped up, and Flo & Co. had decided to treat my car like a horse with a broken leg, i.e., to shoot it. When I saw the repair estimate, which exceeded the value of the car, I saw why. (A wiring harness = $6100???)

Flo & Co. paid me, and I went shopping. Peake had no other 328s I liked or could afford. So I bought . . . a Buick! A big '16 LaCrosse with the 300hp engine, claret red over cream, with almost as many gadgets as the BMW had, and 10 months of warranty left. I know, I know, "geezer car" . . . but believe me, I drive this one much as I did the F30, i.e. swiftly, and resist the cruise control's attempts to steer me toward the nearest Piccadilly Cafeteria.

I was very pleased with the F30, and would have been happy to deal with premium gas costs plus repair and maintenance charges. But 'twas not to be.

I'm glad you got yours back, and that the damage was not severe! Enjoy your RWD beast!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #35
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

^traitor!

Haha kidding. Did you get the AWD? Congrats either way
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #36
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
No, Lexbimmer,

The dealer told me that they would need to have the insurance adjuster come back out, as they had discovered that the window motor needed replacing and probably some more things. That was when I asked for, and was given, the X3 loaner.

Then on Friday, a chirpy lady from Peake calls and asks, "Have you thought about replacing your car?"

I went, "What??!!??" (like the guy on the "Mayhem" TV commercial) "My car was in for repair!"

"Oh! sorry -- they told me it was totaled."

The service advisor called and confirmed that other things had cropped up, and Flo & Co. had decided to treat my car like a horse with a broken leg, i.e., to shoot it. When I saw the repair estimate, which exceeded the value of the car, I saw why. (A wiring harness = $6100???)

Flo & Co. paid me, and I went shopping. Peake had no other 328s I liked or could afford. So I bought . . . a Buick! A big '16 LaCrosse with the 300hp engine, claret red over cream, with almost as many gadgets as the BMW had, and 10 months of warranty left. I know, I know, "geezer car" . . . but believe me, I drive this one much as I did the F30, i.e. swiftly, and resist the cruise control's attempts to steer me toward the nearest Piccadilly Cafeteria.

I was very pleased with the F30, and would have been happy to deal with premium gas costs plus repair and maintenance charges. But 'twas not to be.

I'm glad you got yours back, and that the damage was not severe! Enjoy your RWD beast!

I thought you would go for something higher, with lots of room to the ground
      08-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #37
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndx6spd View Post
^traitor!

Haha kidding. Did you get the AWD? Congrats either way
No, the FWD model. The Premium, as it happens, has cooled and heated seats (I wonder what would happen if you put both on at once?), a shiftable auto tranny (but no sport mode), more cream color inside than the F30 had, and NO Sunroof! I never used the one in the F30 except to test that it opened and closed, and didn't creak or rattle. This is not a climate where you want to drop a top or open a sunroof very often.

I did think seriously about going for an X3 to get some height. The loaners from the dealer (one white over black, one sapphire over golden brown) became more pleasant to drive as I got used to them. The blue one, which had only about 600 miles on it, was breaking in nicely and accelerating better. But a '16 X3 would have been a lot more $$$ than a '16 328i.

The LaCrosse on 18" wheels sits a bit higher than the 328i did, and is a little taller overall; and the street I park on rarely floods -- the 7/10 flood was a freak. If we are due for heavy local rainfall again, I'll park near my work building, which is well out of any water, with a temp tag.
Appreciate 0