F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Tranmisson Fluid @ 60k
Extreme Powerhouse

07-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #23
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

For the AH3, GA8P70H transmission, both BMW and ZF recommend transmission fluid changes at 30-35,000 miles with pan/filter replacement every third change.
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #24
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparnel1 View Post
I suspect that BMW has determined that transmission reliability is high enough that BMW feels opening it up for a fluid change causes more harm than good.
This is what I think as well.
Yeah it's risk benefit based on failure rates versus odds of the fluid change itself causing problems within the warranty period. Had this happen on another car that the transmission started slipping not long after a fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #25
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

So 120k miles then😅
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #26
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
ZF published a document: Service Information - Oil Change Kit For ZF HP Automatic Transmission

In it, ZF describes their recommended oil change interval. They recommend a range, measured in kilometers that is dependent on your driving conditions. They also describe a time based (years) limit.

If you're smarter than a 4th grader and you have two thumbs, you can probably Google it.
It can't hurt that I gave you the name of the document.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I have seen on the forum where members posted a video of ZF demonstrating and advising transmission fluid change at 60000 miles making fun of manufacturer's claims of life-time. That should be enough proof.
Everyone note: This is the only non-reply replies you'll ever see because ZF simply has only officially said that the ZF transmission fluid in F30/32 is lifetime use. People will imply, and use rumor, but there just isn't anything official that says to change the transmission fluid in these specific cars. Period.
      07-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #27
Dylantm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
ZF published a document: Service Information - Oil Change Kit For ZF HP Automatic Transmission

In it, ZF describes their recommended oil change interval. They recommend a range, measured in kilometers that is dependent on your driving conditions. They also describe a time based (years) limit.

If you're smarter than a 4th grader and you have two thumbs, you can probably Google it.
It can't hurt that I gave you the name of the document.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I have seen on the forum where members posted a video of ZF demonstrating and advising transmission fluid change at 60000 miles making fun of manufacturer's claims of life-time. That should be enough proof.
Everyone note: This is the only non-reply replies you'll ever see because ZF simply has only officially said that the ZF transmission fluid in F30/32 is lifetime use. People will imply, and use rumor, but there just isn't anything official that says to change the transmission fluid in these specific cars. Period.
So, I take it you're wanting ZF to spell it out for you? The ZF8HP is fitted on 21 different vehicle manufacturers. It doesn't seem likely the would create a list. Nor would it be in their rights to go against their customers' recommended intervals.

They're pretty clear in this link...

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      07-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #28
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Some people do not know how to search for things on the internet. ZF:
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #29
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylantm View Post
So, I take it you're wanting ZF to spell it out for you? The ZF8HP is fitted on 21 different vehicle manufacturers. It doesn't seem likely the would create a list. Nor would it be in their rights to go against their customers' recommended intervals.

They're pretty clear in this link...

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html
You'll note in the video on that page they use an F31 too lol.

I wonder if he'd run oil that was out of spec for its viscosity in his engine, because my blackstone lab sample showed my transmission fluid had deteriorated outside ZF Lifeguard 8 specs.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #30
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylantm View Post
So, I take it you're wanting ZF to spell it out for you?
No. The point I'm making is that transmission fluid service interval IS spelled out. It is a lifetime fill. The point I am NOT making is the wisdom of this prescribed service plan. My pushback is entirely focused on people claiming that the official service interval is anything but lifetime. That is simply the fact for our F30/32 vehicles.
      07-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #31
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

Quote:
My pushback is entirely focused on people claiming that the official service interval is anything but lifetime.

For the Google impaired:

podman
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #32
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I like how, in the video, they say, "Just watch how easy it is".

Uh, OK. Let's see here....

Drain the old fluid, drop the pan (spill oil everywhere), get a whole new pan (special order), acquire super-special (AKA "super expensive") fluid, *FILL THE FLUID FROM UNDERNEATH THE CAR (because that makes sense), USING A PUMP THAT YOU DON'T HAVE*, while car is perfectly level on a lift YOU DON'T HAVE. Then get the car to the right temp range (using specialized software THAT YOU DON'T HAVE), run all the gears, and top-off with the drain open (spilling oil everywhere again).

Oh, I'M SORRY -- I MISSED THE "EASY" PART!!!

ARE YOU F@#$ SERIOUS?!???

For starters how about giving us a fucking dip-stick and oil-fill location from above the car? Could they MAKE it any harder?!?
Attached Images

Last edited by natesi; 07-27-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mr Podman220.50
      07-27-2019, 11:16 PM   #33
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

...German Engineering 🙄
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:13 AM   #34
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASportLineGuy View Post
So I called my dealer to get a quote on changing my transmission fluid. I was told that it was not a good idea to do. I planned on changing out Diff and trans fluid @60-65k miles because i plan on keeping the car awhile.

Can changing this really damage/increase risk of damaging my transmission?

Its been serviced at BMW dealership its entire life (it was a lease before buying CPO). and I change other fluids and parts regularly as preventative maintenance.

Im 8AT btw.
You could probably change the diff oil yourself. There is no drain plug, only a fill plug. So not such how you would be able to drain it without taking the diff off the car. Unless you siphon the oil out.

I did a diff swap and used the recommended long life oil. I can't remember but I think the oil life was rated at about 130k miles. So at 60k it probably doesn't need changing.

The transmission is a bigger job.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #35
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
...German Engineering 🙄
Not German engineering but Global Marketing and profit maximization! I very much doubt that any engineer (German or otherwise) would seriously promote lifetime anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #36
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

There's no dipstick because then dipstick owners would check it every week and introduce dirt into the system and ruin the transmission.
      08-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #37
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
[COLOR="Sienna"]My pushback is entirely focused on people claiming that the official service interval is anything but lifetime.[/COLOR]

For the Google impaired:

podman
You seem to be missing my point.

This is information is not specific to BMW, and directly contraindicated by the specific instructions provided by BMW. You know ZF is a brand that makes different models, right?

Again, im not suggesting that you shouldn't service your ZF transmission fluid. I'm not even saying ZF doesn't suggest servicing fluid in their transmissions generally. My point is very easy to grasp... The official service interval for ZF transmissions in BMW vehicles is lifetime. All other information is either fake news, or conjecture derived from information sourced from other vehicles. The official service interval for ZF transmissions in BMW vehicles is lifetime.
      08-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #38
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
My point is very easy to grasp... The official service interval for ZF transmissions in BMW vehicles is lifetime.
Just for clarity, BMW is talking about the lifetime of the transmission, not your personal lifetime.

Here is what BMW is telling you: The "lifetime" of your transmission ends when it stops working.

Here is what ZF is telling you: It is recommended you change your transmission fluid if you want to achieve a long transmission lifetime.

See how both are true?
See how one is more useful to you than the other?
See how one is marketing and the other is maintenance?

This summer I bought a brand new pontoon boat directly from the manufacturer. It came with a Honda outboard motor.

The pontoon boat manufacturer gave me a set of instructions for how to maintain that Honda outboard.

The Honda owners manual also has instructions for how to perform maintenance but many of the maintenance frequencies are different.

Question: For my pontoon boat, should I follow the pontoon boat manufacturers instructions or Honda's instructions for performing maintenance on the outboard throughout its "lifetime"?

podman

Last edited by Mr Podman; 08-03-2019 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      08-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #39
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
My point is very easy to grasp... The official service interval for ZF transmissions in BMW vehicles is lifetime. All other information is either fake news, or conjecture derived from information sourced from other vehicles. The official service interval for ZF transmissions in BMW vehicles is lifetime.
Your point is technically accurate but it should be noted that IIRC BMW’s definition of the lifetime of a transmission is 100k miles. That’s quite a bit different from what people think in their heads when they hear “lifetime”.

IMHO it’s like a company offering a lifetime warranty on a shirt. Then the fine print says, “lifetime is defined as 60 days”.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #40
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
...it should be noted that IIRC BMW's definition of the lifetime of a transmission is 100k miles.
This is exactly the fine point I'm debating. That is fake news, a wives tale, rumor... whatever you want to label it. It's just not true. Recently I learned this lesson out of being misinformed myself. I did the research; BMW's official stance is the ZF transmission fluid is not a part they service. The only time they replace fluid is if/when the transmission is serviced.

Again, I'm not debating the wisdom of this plan, or even the transmission manufacturer's position. I'm only trying to correct the record when people state that BMW's position is anything but. The lead technician at Park Ave BMW told me directly that they haven't done a transmission fluid service "since the 90s."
      08-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #41
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
BMW's official stance is the ZF transmission fluid is not a part they service. The only time they replace fluid is if/when the transmission is serviced.
The exact quote out of BMW's Service & Warranty document is this:

"The transmission long-term rated fluid does not need to be changed except when necessary during repairs to the transmission."

BMW is essentially telling you they won't change your fluid for free.
They'll only change it after your transmission breaks.
The word "lifetime" doesn't appear in BMW's Service & Warranty document.

The exact quote out of ZF's service document says this:

"Depending on the driving style, ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80,000 to
120,000 km or after eight years at the latest."

Last edited by Mr Podman; 08-05-2019 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #42
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
[COLOR="Sienna"]BMW's official stance is the ZF transmission fluid is not a part they service. The only time they replace fluid is if/when the transmission is serviced.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Green"]"The transmission long-term rated fluid does not need to be changed except when necessary during repairs to the transmission."[/COLOR]

BMW is essentially telling you they won't change your fluid for free.
The word "lifetime" doesn't appear in BMW's Service & Warranty document.

The exact quote out of ZF's service document says this:

[COLOR="Green"]"Depending on the driving style, ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80,000 to
120,000 km or after eight years at the latest."[/COLOR]
For those who do service their 8-speed automatic, what fluid is recommended? What fluid should I use?

I've seen the actual ZF pan/filter combo for sale for $150 vs $300 from BMW. I see various fluids for sale. What should I use? I believe it takes 9 quarts. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #43
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep

ZF says: "Only use the specified ZF-LifeguardFluid"
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #44
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
[COLOR="Sienna"]BMW's official stance is the ZF transmission fluid is not a part they service. The only time they replace fluid is if/when the transmission is serviced.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Green"]"The transmission long-term rated fluid does not need to be changed except when necessary during repairs to the transmission."[/COLOR]

BMW is essentially telling you they won't change your fluid...
Thank you for backing up my point. BMW clearly states that the fluid is not a part that requires maintenance under their service schedule. This has been my point all along.

Because I can already forsee someone commenting on the wisdom of this plan, I will again reiterate... I'm not recommending any service schedule myself. I'm only working to clarify that BMW has; and their official position is the ZF transmission fluid is not a part that requires maintenance. For whatever reason those promoting rumors suggesting otherwise continue to resist acknowledging this clear reality.