F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

11-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #287
pardillo
Rep
Drives: f21

Quote:
Originally Posted by risanta View Post
Don't fully understood your answer why my friends car Xenons work with same model of FEM? Should I even try without changing FEM. My car software have been updated by local dealer month ago. I can send you photo of my FEM if needed.
with a software update it is not valid.
you need new hardware
your friend has different hardware
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #288
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
try this... VO code 524 back on. everything should work except the issue you are having (high beam) at this point. On the FEM, go to pin 53 and 41 on A173*3b and use a multimeter and see if theres power (+) when you pull on the high beam stalker. You may need to strip the wire a little bit since you cannot unplug the harness from the FEM while testing.

Pin 6 (+) and pin 2 (ground)on your headlight harness is responsible for your high beams.
I will ask my mechanic to do this, because I can code with E-sys but I don't have any experience with the electrical part.

Anyway, I went to the BMW dealer and asked if it was possible to change to a MAX FEM. They said that is possible, but won't make any difference to solve my problem, because it would be coded with the default config from BMW and the xenons won't work anyway. I think this is not true because some users on this thread said that they were able to upgrade the FEM from Mid to Max.

I guess I will need to ask another dealer because here in Portugal BMW works as franchising and therefore they may not know what they are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #289
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powershot View Post
I will ask my mechanic to do this, because I can code with E-sys but I don't have any experience with the electrical part.

Anyway, I went to the BMW dealer and asked if it was possible to change to a MAX FEM. They said that is possible, but won't make any difference to solve my problem, because it would be coded with the default config from BMW and the xenons won't work anyway. I think this is not true because some users on this thread said that they were able to upgrade the FEM from Mid to Max.

I guess I will need to ask another dealer because here in Portugal BMW works as franchising and therefore they may not know what they are talking about.
You can demand that your dealer include xenon in its equipment
If ignored, contact BMW

Last edited by pardillo; 11-03-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #290
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sent an email to BMW AG customer care, let see if they can unblock this with the dealer.
Otherwise I'm considering selling the car and buy another with xenons.

Last edited by powershot; 11-05-2016 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 04:36 AM   #291
Moorbygp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435D M-Sport Carbon Black

Garage List
I'm proud to announce that as of today I've successfully retrofitted Bi-Xenons to my UK RHD F30 M-Sport 330D. I must admit there were times when I thought it wasn't going to be worth the time or effort but now It's done it completely transforms the look of the car and well pleased. I find it hard to believe that BMW could sell the M-Sport without Xenons as the Halogens make the car look poor in comparison. Thanks to all the posts in this thread as all the info is contained here. If interested I can post pics.
Appreciate 1
Skello45.50
      11-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #292
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sent an email to BMW AG customer care, let see if they can unblock this with the dealer.
Otherwise I'm considering selling the car and buy another with xenons.
Received the response from BMW but there was a misunderstanding and they thought that I was complaining about my local dealer Sent another email to clarify the purpose of the email and let see what they say...

Meanwhile, I contacted a few ECU programmers and there is one guy which says that is capable of changing the VIN of a FEM. Therefore I am wondering buying a used MAX FEM (from a vehicle with xenon) and ask him to code my VIN.

Do you think it will work? According to the electrician which did the headlights installation, it should work...

Finally, just to make sure I will buy a compatible FEM, I need to know which are the requirements.

@pardillo can you help here? HW version >= 7.1 is enough? Or it should have some reference to the "MAX" type anywhere in the FEM?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #293
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
Received the response from BMW but there was a misunderstanding and they thought that I was complaining about my local dealer Sent another email to clarify the purpose of the email and let see what they say...

Meanwhile, I contacted a few ECU programmers and there is one guy which says that is capable of changing the VIN of a FEM. Therefore I am wondering buying a used MAX FEM (from a vehicle with xenon) and ask him to code my VIN.

Do you think it will work? According to the electrician which did the headlights installation, it should work...

Finally, just to make sure I will buy a compatible FEM, I need to know which are the requirements.

@pardillo can you help here? HW version >= 7.1 is enough? Or it should have some reference to the "MAX" type anywhere in the FEM?
With fem. Of used, has to erase eeprom and that is very complicated, then load your vin software and then program, uffff

Yes, with 7.1 is ok
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #294
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardillo View Post
With fem. Of used, has to erase eeprom and that is very complicated, then load your vin software and then program, uffff

Yes, with 7.1 is ok
From my understanding, there are two things which need to be done for the FEM work in my car:
1. Program the VIN
2. Program the software with the features enabled/disabled

My question is:
According to the ECU programmer, he says he can program the VIN in the FEM.
Regarding the step 2, do you think this can be done with E-sys? I mean, somehow clone the current file that I've in my FEM (FA and SVT, the ones that I've backed up and changed when I added the xenon)

I would like to know what exactly I need to ask the ECU programmer

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #295
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
From my understanding, there are two things which need to be done for the FEM work in my car:
1. Program the VIN
2. Program the software with the features enabled/disabled

My question is:
According to the ECU programmer, he says he can program the VIN in the FEM.
Regarding the step 2, do you think this can be done with E-sys? I mean, somehow clone the current file that I've in my FEM (FA and SVT, the ones that I've backed up and changed when I added the xenon)

I would like to know what exactly I need to ask the ECU programmer

Many thanks
You have to do this:
1- reset eeprom, have to open FEM, need expensive tools
2- charge your vin to the fem, you can do with e-eys.
3 - program your FEM, possibly if you can with e-sys, you have to do an expert, it is difficult, the easiest is to do it with ista-p.
I already told you, my advice is to go to your distributor
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #296
Moorbygp
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Old Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorbygp View Post
I'm proud to announce that as of today I've successfully retrofitted Bi-Xenons to my UK RHD F30 M-Sport 330D. I must admit there were times when I thought it wasn't going to be worth the time or effort but now It's done it completely transforms the look of the car and well pleased. I find it hard to believe that BMW could sell the M-Sport without Xenons as the Halogens make the car look poor in comparison. Thanks to all the posts in this thread as all the info is contained here. If interested I can post pics.
Old headlights
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #297
Moorbygp
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
New Headlights

Quote:
Old headlights
New Headlights
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Skello45.50
      11-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #298
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You have to do this:
1- reset eeprom, have to open FEM, need expensive tools
2- charge your vin to the fem, you can do with e-eys.
3 - program your FEM, possibly if you can with e-sys, you have to do an expert, it is difficult, the easiest is to do it with ista-p.
I already told you, my advice is to go to your distributor
The problem is that my dealer says that ordering a MAX FEM for my car won't solve the problem, because the module is configured with my car default configuration (with halogen). I'm not sure if he was talking about coding the module as I did with E-sys, if so I can do it even myself
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 02:05 AM   #299
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
The problem is that my dealer says that ordering a MAX FEM for my car won't solve the problem, because the module is configured with my car default configuration (with halogen). I'm not sure if he was talking about coding the module as I did with E-sys, if so I can do it even myself
That you install the FEM in BMW, you have to tell him to include his new equipment, xenon, ect, because they load vin from server BMW, if it does not include then you will not have xenon, they have to include xenon from your server (BMW manufactures) .
Another option is to install FEM in a distributor and then you with e-sys put in salapa new xenon code, ect
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 03:55 AM   #300
Moorbygp
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
With DRLs

Quote:
New Headlights
With DRL

Went on dark road last night and got a few flashes. These lights are bright for sure. Will have to check adjustment. Did it originally at 25 feet and seemed fine but The 6000K DS1 bulbs are certainly bright when driving around. Any tips gratefully received.
Attached Images

Last edited by Moorbygp; 11-13-2016 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: Forgot some wording
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #301
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That you install the FEM in BMW, you have to tell him to include his new equipment, xenon, ect, because they load vin from server BMW, if it does not include then you will not have xenon, they have to include xenon from your server (BMW manufactures) .
Another option is to install FEM in a distributor and then you with e-sys put in salapa new xenon code, ect
Thanks for the response.

I think I'll do the following:
1. Order a Max/High FEM from the BMW parts department, which will be coded with my car VIN and configuration.
2. Ask the mechanic who installed the xenon in my car to replace the FEM
3. Code the following with E-sys (the same I did before when I installed the xenon):

3.1 Add 522 and 524 to VO
3.2 code the following in FDL:
LWR_AHL_TYP = auto./dyn. LWR+AHL = 03
C_FLC_ENA = F030disable (LWR, Leveling sensor)
C_AFS_ENA = F030enable (Light Distribution)
C_BLC_ENA = F030enable (AHL)
C_CLC_ENA = F030enabl (Cornering light)

Do you think this is enough or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #302
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I think I'll do the following:
1. Order a Max/High FEM from the BMW parts department, which will be coded with my car VIN and configuration.
2. Ask the mechanic who installed the xenon in my car to replace the FEM
3. Code the following with E-sys (the same I did before when I installed the xenon):

3.1 Add 522 and 524 to VO
3.2 code the following in FDL:
LWR_AHL_TYP = auto./dyn. LWR+AHL = 03
C_FLC_ENA = F030disable (LWR, Leveling sensor)
C_AFS_ENA = F030enable (Light Distribution)
C_BLC_ENA = F030enable (AHL)
C_CLC_ENA = F030enabl (Cornering light)

Do you think this is enough or am I missing something?
that will not work.
First load your car's equipment into your new FEM. (With the xenon code).
You have to program your FEM.con ista-p.
When you program if your car is connected to a BMW server it does not have xenon.
When you program if your car is not connected to a BMW server if you have xenon.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #303
pardillo
Rep

BMW new/old FEM coding manual with E-sys / ISTA-P
Below is tips of BMW F series new and old FEM coding... Wish it helps

Tools for FEM falsh:
An ENET cable for connection (Ethernet to OBD)
Working E-SYS to save the FA from the old FEM. Don't think you can with ISTA.

E-SYS vs ISTA:
With E-sys you can read and save VO to a file.
If you don't have ISTA license and you are not online, this is the way you can transfer the car VO to the new FEM.
If you have ISTA licence and you are connected to BMW servers, then ISTA-P will download VO automatically and insert it into the new FEM.

How to code a new FEM:
1. plug your old FEM (I hope it is not completely dead and you can still read VO from it) read VO and save it to a file with E-sys.
2. Disconnect old FEM and plug new FEM, then connect with ENET cable to the car, go to VCM and load VO from the file you saved previously. Then go to master tab and click "write FA" which will write the car VO to the new FEM.
3. Start ista-p and when you see window for replaced modules click Yes and when you see the list, in the bottom tick FEM. ISTA-p will code(configure) and initialize the new FEM to the car.

How to code an old FEM:
I have read both, that Immobilizer (EWS4) is an issue for FEM, and that it is not. For sure it is an issue for DME replacement. I don't think attempting to flash FEM would do anything to DME. Worst case is FEM takes VIN, and still won't sync / decrypt key with DME.

New FEM coding vs old FEM coding:
The easy way is to order a new FEM from BMW, which they then put VIN and Encryption Key in for your car.

BMW FEM coding FAQ:
Q: If the method with flashing used FEM will not work, it will be possible to get back to original FEM from my car ?
A: I still have this original FEM.
Flashing used FEM will have no affect on your original one.

Q: Is original FEM will be still compatible with flashed modules ?
A: You could also try flashing original FEM, and see if that doesn't solve your problem before resorting to the used FEM.

Q: What charger is good for flashing to avoid interruption during process ?
A: Use any charger good for 50 amp minimum.

Q: Need VIN change during FEM flash?
A: VIN is also taken from FA during vo or fdl-coding, usually no need to flash for matching vin.
But Update VCM and MSM I don't think have to be checked. This is for other purpose. They are not needed when changing vin during a flash. Still they are required when coding a replaced module (after installing it), otherwise svt in vcm will not be corrected.
Above is good point about SVT.

Q: During flashing car engine should be running ?
A: No, it should not be running. You need power supply with 13-15 volts and 50 amps. Other option is to use another car with engine running and jump start cables.

Q: What if during flashing process ignition will switch off ?
What damages to the car this may do?
A: It won't turn off after the flashing has started.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #304
Moorbygp
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Error D90D16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil535 View Post
I know how to solve your problem "0xD90D16 operating unit light (BEL), (LIN): wrong version installed". I had a similar problem solved yesterday. You need to set the type of switch.
FEM BODY 3064 => LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR => Edit and choose it appropriate, there are eight types, if you do not know which type of switch, make seven attempts, one will be good and the error will disappear.
If you have Adaptive Xenon Headlights and fog light front and rear try to first variable BEL_FLC_NSW_NSL
If my English is weak, sory, I support the goggles translator.
Did this ever get resolved I have this error after BiXenon retrofit. FEM BODY 3064 => LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR => has 10 choices on my 07 2013 vehicle but non seem to work. The lights themselves are operating fine with Mainbeam Headlamp and DRL all working as expected. Only error I get is in Rheingold with D90D16 wrong version installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #305
bmw.power1997
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Hello,

I'm new here , sorry my english isn't the best.

I have a F20 116i with M package, the car has been build at 02/2013.

I have one question :

Do i need a new FEM or can i take the FEM where installed in the car?

I will start the retrofit at christmas , i have all components at home.

kind regards & thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #306
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw.power1997 View Post
Hello,

I'm new here , sorry my english isn't the best.

I have a F20 116i with M package, the car has been build at 02/2013.

I have one question :

Do i need a new FEM or can i take the FEM where installed in the car?

I will start the retrofit at christmas , i have all components at home.

kind regards & thank you
It depends on the FEM that your car has.

There are two types of FEM: Mid and High.
I did the retrofit with a Mid FEM and the high beams don't work. Low beams and DRL are ok.

Now I'm having a lot of trouble to upgrade for a High FEM, because it must be ordered in BMW (the VIN is programmed in the module) and then it must be programmed to support xenon.

Also, it is expensive, if you buy a new High FEM from BMW it will coast you 500 euros. Maybe in Germany you could find it cheaper. And don't forget you also need to pay for the installation and programming...

Unfortunately, until now, I didn't find any dealer who could upgrade my FEM They all say that they are not able to do it... I'll try a little more but I cannot stay without high beams forever...I'm considering reverting the retrofit and back to the halogen lights
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #307
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

To change VIN in FEM , I think you will need to flash it with Esys. To program it for xenon, just code it.
I retrofited xenon on my 04.2012 F30, I don't know what version of FEM I have, but it was working OK after coding with 522. Maybe it is high because of HK music. But I did a lot of retrofits on car, and all are working fine and no errors on car.
Last thing I hope to do this weekend is to install leveling senssors, and that is the only error I have.

Last edited by larry_bml; 03-06-2017 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #308
bmw.power1997
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
To change VIN in FEM , I think you will need to flash it with Esys. To program it for xenon, just code it.
I retrofited xenon on my 04.2012 F30, I don't know wotch version of FEM I have, but it was working OK after coding with 522. Maybe it is high because of HK music. But I did a lot of retrofits on car, and all are working fine and no errors on car.
Last thing I hope to do this weekend is to install leveling senssors, and that is the only error I have.
How long did it take you for the headlight retrofit? Pls make a report about the retrofit leveling sensors.
Appreciate 0