F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How do I go about getting a Quife Limited Slip?
proTUNING Freaks

04-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

How do I go about getting a Quife Limited Slip?

Ive looked online but cant figure out how I buy one. Anyone know?

Also, if anyone has one would love to hear your experience with it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/lim...nits-c393.aspx

VAC Motorsports appears to be the only US distributor of Quaife differentials.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_E84 View Post
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/lim...nits-c393.aspx

VAC Motorsports appears to be the only US distributor of Quaife differentials.
U da man
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
absolutedev
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340xi

I have a 2016 BMW 340xi Auto and I just got a complete rear diff with a Quaife ATB LSD from birdsauto.com. I also called diffsonline.com which is highly recommended by a lot of people in US but they are back ordered and could not get me anything for at least 4-6 weeks.

With Bird's, it took 2 weeks from the time I sent them an email inquiring about the price to the time I had the differential at my door. Just had it installed a couple of days ago and so far so good.

Overall experience (keep in mind I only drove about 100 miles since I got it installed) - even in an xDrive you do feel it even during normal driving and when you take highway ramps or sharper turns it just makes the car feel a lot more predictable. There are a few full reviews of the Quaife and Wavetrack LSDs on this forum and I can second them, they are very accurate.

I spent a lot of money on other upgrades over the last couple of years but going back now, this should have been the first upgrade that I should have done.

Last edited by absolutedev; 04-28-2021 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Adding info.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutedev View Post
I have a 2016 BMW 340xi Auto and I just got a complete rear diff with a Quaife ATB LSD from birdsauto.com. I also called diffsonline.com which is highly recommended by a lot of people in US but they are back ordered and could not get me anything for at least 4-6 weeks.

With Bird's, it took 2 weeks from the time I sent them an email inquiring about the price to the time I had the differential at my door. Just had it installed a couple of days ago and so far so good.

Overall experience (keep in mind I only drove about 100 miles since I got it installed) - even in an xDrive you do feel it even during normal driving and when you take highway ramps or sharper turns it just makes the car feel a lot more predictable. There are a few full reviews of the Quaife and Wavetrack LSDs on this forum and I can second them, they are very accurate.

I spent a lot of money on other upgrades over the last couple of years but going back now, this should have been the first upgrade that I should have done.
Sweet. Ty for replying. Just a few questions-

Did the LSD come in the differential casing?, I know quaife just sells the plates, and they need to be installed inside the OEM casing. But does Birdsauto sell it as one piece, plates already inside the casing?

Also, what was your total cost. How much was this lsd? And how much was install?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:40 PM   #6
absolutedev
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
Sweet. Ty for replying. Just a few questions-

Did the LSD come in the differential casing?, I know quaife just sells the plates, and they need to be installed inside the OEM casing. But does Birdsauto sell it as one piece, plates already inside the casing?

Also, what was your total cost. How much was this lsd? And how much was install?

Thx
Bird's asked me for my VIN # and they sourced in UK a used complete differential casing that works in the 340xi (it looks like all the F30 xDrive diesel models use the same ratios). They only charged me £150.00 for the used differential housing. Then they installed the Quaife differential in the differential housing they sourced. The installation is complex because they crown gear is welded and it has to be removed using specialty tools. They also installed brand new OEM bearings, seals and all the required hardware such as bolts are all new and OEM.

They shipped me a complete "pumpkin" with everything installed and adjusted - all I had to do is pay 2hrs labor for a transmission shop to remove my complete old differential and install the new one.

The complete price of the Quaife LSD to my door was $3300 USD (including shipping, duties, taxes, etc).
The transmission shop charged me $200 USD for the labor.
Appreciate 0