F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Performance mods that stress the car the least
Studio RSR

04-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Performance mods that stress the car the least

I bought my 340i thp, and plan on keeping it for many years to come. I put 6K miles on it last year, and that includes about 2,600 miles from a roadtrip. So I'm probably averaging around 3-4K miles a year. My office is legit 1 mile away from my home.

My car is also out of its cpo warranty.

I want this car to be reliable, and last a while.

What are my best tuning options that wont overwork my engine / chassis? I'm leaning towards dinan stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

You are deep into a contradiction. "I want to live as long as possible, but I want to live unhealthy too... I'm thinking of starting to drink as a starter"

Bottom line - if reliability is your top priority - stay stock or go for an MPPSK. There are very few changes you can make, which will both increase performance and not jeopardize reliability which you can make. A high-flow downpipe could be the only.

As soon as you use the word "Stage" in a sentence, you have virtually increased the wear and tear of your vehicle. By how much - no one would be able to quantify.

If you drive as much as you state (which I do as well, even less, lately) - I would not be too concerned. But it also comes down to your driving style and habits. 3-4K miles on the track are not the same as 3-4K miles cruising You get the point

If you think you will be happy with a mild power and torque increase, whilst not sacrificing reliability - go for an MPPSK. It is absolutely worth it, as 99,9% of the user community would tell you. This is where I am for the time being as well.
dmaxdmax417.00
Wires1645.50
damack188.50
      04-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
You are deep into a contradiction. "I want to live as long as possible, but I want to live unhealthy too... I'm thinking of starting to drink as a starter"

Bottom line - if reliability is your top priority - stay stock or go for an MPPSK. There are very few changes you can make, which will both increase performance and not jeopardize reliability which you can make. A high-flow downpipe could be the only.

As soon as you use the word "Stage" in a sentence, you have virtually increased the wear and tear of your vehicle. By how much - no one would be able to quantify.

If you drive as much as you state (which I do as well, even less, lately) - I would not be too concerned. But it also comes down to your driving style and habits. 3-4K miles on the track are not the same as 3-4K miles cruising You get the point

If you think you will be happy with a mild power and torque increase, whilst not sacrificing reliability - go for an MPPSK. It is absolutely worth it, as 99,9% of the user community would tell you. This is where I am for the time being as well.
At 3-4K a year you would have to drive that car for close to 25 years before any increased wear and tear from a tune would cause your problems. You're more likely to have problems from lack of use and short trips. Short trips are bad for engines. Get a stage1 tune and love the car even more. For reference stage 1 has about the same power as the new m340i come with stock and the only thing changed on the engine afaik are timing chain components. That should give you confidence that the block, turbo, and ancillary equipment can handle the power no problem.
      04-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah my only concern is the cost. For 4K I could go dinan tune + m performance lsd. The exhaust doesnt interest me as much, I find it too loud to drive in a city imo. Ty for the advice tho
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #5
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Since you have the THP I'd say an inexpensive and safe upgrade tune is the Dinan Shockware. Cost me about $200 and well worth it to refine suspension on my F32.

I've got the MPPK on my N55 car and really like it. Sadly, it sounds like that isn't an option since the exhaust is part of the kit for B58 cars and you don't like the exhaust.
      04-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Since you have the THP I'd say an inexpensive and safe upgrade tune is the Dinan Shockware. Cost me about $200 and well worth it to refine suspension on my F32.

I've got the MPPK on my N55 car and really like it. Sadly, it sounds like that isn't an option since the exhaust is part of the kit for B58 cars and you don't like the exhaust.
Hey i actually got the shockware + springs & bumps. What a huge difference! Totally changed the car. Havent touched the engine or anything else tho, kinda scared lol. I like the idea of a mild 30hp tune though, which I why I considered dinan. Idk
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #7
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Glad you like it. I'm very tempted to go with the springs and bump stops.

My car has the MPPK (it's an N55) but even without the extra 30HP I still find the car plenty quick with limits far beyond my talent as a driver. Cleaning up the suspension was my first priority. Now I'm working on improving the the the nut sitting behind the steering wheel.
      04-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #8
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Lots of good advice. I would honestly wonder if you'd notice the extra 30 hps from a mild tune. I haven't once used all the HPs I have...except leaving toll booths on the NJT and GSP.

If you're tracking, and being a little faster is important to you, it does sound like you won't have many miles to add much extra wear to...so enjoy! Good luck with your decision.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 1
paulymu62.50
      04-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #9
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
I bought my 340i thp, and plan on keeping it for many years to come. I put 6K miles on it last year, and that includes about 2,600 miles from a roadtrip. So I'm probably averaging around 3-4K miles a year. My office is legit 1 mile away from my home.

What are my best tuning options that wont overwork my engine / chassis? I'm leaning towards dinan stage 1.
Considering how much you're absolutely not using it, what do you care if it's an "unreliable mod"....
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      04-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

You're barely using your car, do whatever... if it were me i'd tune it and enjoy the hell out of the little miles i'm putting on it. As others said your short commute will beat your car faster then any mod could. Just keep up to date with maintenance.

If it truly comes down to it, intake and downpipe are noise mods, and the downpipe is less restrictive. Won't need an exhaust with a catted DP
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #11
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

People need to understand that tunes are safe and reliable for the most part. They do nothing to harm your car. The only thing they do is expedite the wear and tear on a car faster than it would be if you were just stock. The stock recommended oil change is every 10k miles. Going with a tune? Halve that. To be safer, halve that in half.

As far as mods go, just do the standard bolt-ons. Charge pipe, intercooler, downpipe. None of these will affect the reliability of your car. In fact, they will do the opposite (intercooler to stay cooler after pulls, charge pipe to protect from blowing in boost overload, and downpipe for better flow in your car).

I think the only mods that really will affect reliability are fueling mods and running upgraded turbos. When you start putting E30 in or pushing serious power on the stock internals you are looking into some potential issues down the road. Just my .2
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Lots of good advice. I would honestly wonder if you'd notice the extra 30 hps from a mild tune.
Yes, you do. The extra torque more than the extra PS.
      04-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah my only concern is the cost. For 4K I could go dinan tune + m performance lsd. The exhaust doesnt interest me as much, I find it too loud to drive in a city imo. Ty for the advice tho
For the mppsk, I will at least talk about my experience. One may argue it is expensive in the context of dollars spent, but you get a lot for that cost that I believe is worth it - thus you get good stuff for the cost (obviously my opinion). On other threads this has been discussed and I think most conclusions are that it is a good value. You get a really good cat back exhaust that is integrated with the valves, so works well with the car. All the threads I have followed argue that the exhaust quality is stellar and thus may add to the value of the car.

In comfort it is not really louder than stock (at least not to me), but when you pop it into sport or sport + it certainly changes. You also get a mild stage 1-like tune and all this is covered by a bmw warranty. You certainly can get other exhausts and or tunes separately. I have had my mppsk for two years now and drive a lot 12-13k a year even during the pandemic. I don't regret the mod at all.

Anyway just my thoughts. Cheers,
Appreciate 2
paulymu62.50
Skyhigh1888.00
      04-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Lots of good advice. I would honestly wonder if you'd notice the extra 30 hps from a mild tune.
Yes, you do. The extra torque more than the extra PS.
+1, I agree.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #15
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
People need to understand that tunes are safe and reliable for the most part. They do nothing to harm your car. The only thing they do is expedite the wear and tear on a car faster than it would be if you were just stock. The stock recommended oil change is every 10k miles. Going with a tune? Halve that. To be safer, halve that in half.

As far as mods go, just do the standard bolt-ons. Charge pipe, intercooler, downpipe. None of these will affect the reliability of your car. In fact, they will do the opposite (intercooler to stay cooler after pulls, charge pipe to protect from blowing in boost overload, and downpipe for better flow in your car).

I think the only mods that really will affect reliability are fueling mods and running upgraded turbos. When you start putting E30 in or pushing serious power on the stock internals you are looking into some potential issues down the road. Just my .2
B58 doesn't use an intercooler. Beside that solid points
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #16
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Technically it does, it's a water to water in the intake vs the N55 air to air, but to your point, you cannot change it for something better.

OP, in reality, get a tune. BM3, MHD, etc. I'm in the same boat as you: The car will rot from lack of use faster than the tune will cause damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #17
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Technically it does, it's a water to water in the intake vs the N55 air to air, but to your point, you cannot change it for something better.

OP, in reality, get a tune. BM3, MHD, etc. I'm in the same boat as you: The car will rot from lack of use faster than the tune will cause damage.
Lol damn now im concerned im not driving the car enough. Tbh, I dont need to rn.. and also figured the added plus was preserving the cars mileage.

Howcome this is bad for the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Lol damn now im concerned im not driving the car enough. Tbh, I dont need to rn.. and also figured the added plus was preserving the cars mileage.

Howcome this is bad for the car?
You mean not driving it? The battery needs to be to be fully charged at least once a month or it sulphates at you will need to replace it, the seals start to dry out if you don't drive it and can start to leak (A/C, oils etc), tires 'dry rot' and become hard, etc.

For your mileage, that shouldn't be an issue, just make sure you keep the battery topped up if it's parked for long periods of time (or if you are just doing 1 mile commutes).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #19
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Red start button
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #20
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Red start button
Adds 5 hp and TQ. Quality mod with little or no chance to damage the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #21
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Red start button
Adds 5 hp and TQ. Quality mod with little or no chance to damage the engine.
Lets not forget the tri color grill strips

+10hp
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #22
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:

Seriously tho, don't pay so much for a Dinan stage 1 since you're done your new car warranty. Dinan won't cover your engine anyways. If u really have to do Dinan just go the dinantronics sports tuner. Cheap and gives u a taste of almost stage 1. Take it off when u get bored and want to do something serious
Appreciate 0