F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Paddle shifts when in D (drive)
Extreme Powerhouse

01-21-2024, 05:49 PM   #1
tomcat_f36
Rep
Drives: F36 435i 2015

Paddle shifts when in D (drive)

Hey all,

I've been wondering. If I hit the paddle shift on my F36 (2015) when I drive in automatic (D) the display might look like this:

However sometimes the display might show 4 -> 7 or 3 -> 5 - what does this mean? Hitting the paddle shift again does not shift it from 4 to 7th gear.

Thanks.

Friendly Regards,
/Tom
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 03:55 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Interesting that your 2015 model has that, my USA model does not. Anyways its just telling you the recommended gear for your speed (generally for fuel efficiency)
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2024, 04:38 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

What he said, and that is cool. I've never seen that or I'd have coded it on.

If it shows 4>7, means you are in 4th gear, but should skip to 7th for best fuel economy.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2024, 04:47 PM   #4
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Recommended gear is default on for manual cars. I'm pretty sure I was able to just turn it off in I drive without any coding. You may be able to reverse engineer the code from a manual car if it's worth the effort to you.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2024, 01:22 PM   #5
tomcat_f36
Rep
Drives: F36 435i 2015

Thanks all - that makes perfectly sense
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 01:42 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

As already stated - fuel-efficiency gear recommendation... pretty standard (I believe even mandatory!) on all cars in the last 15 years or so... (at least in Europe). My Audi has it too. Seen it on rental Kias, etc.
      01-30-2024, 02:50 PM   #7
leolulz
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Standard on my 440i ZF8 auto, EU car
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:54 AM   #8
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

My 440i here in Japan does it too. I had some other weird japan only market codings/settings so i thought this was only a japanese market thing as well. I've only been driving this 440i for a week now but my prior gen 335is did not do this.

So I've only noticed it after i manually downshift via paddle while in D and then i hold a slow speed for a certain amount of time without accelerating hard. So maybe after 15-20 seconds of slow driving it adds 2 gear to whatever gear I'm in and that is what it then selects after about 5 more seconds if i don't immediately floor it or paddle shift from there.

I really want to turn this off altogether as this is one of the most annoying parts of my 440i to me so far. My other DD is a lex LS460 sport and I've gotten used to it over the years and i think it was the same as my prev 335is, wherein if i paddle downshift from D it stays in M paddle mode until i slap the shifter into M and back to D myself, or come to a complete stop. I know my Lex does this as i still drive it but that is also my memory of my prev bmw; correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless I'd love to be able to code the 440i to be able to stay in M and not auto go back to D after 20 seconds if i paddle downshift while in D.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:10 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

That's the nature of manual in D. It reverts to automatic in a few seconds and I actually like that, as it makes sense when you only want to shortly downshift but otherwise continue in automatic. If you want pure manual, Go to Sport mode and then Manual. It will stay in manual.
      01-31-2024, 02:20 PM   #10
leolulz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
My 440i here in Japan does it too. I had some other weird japan only market codings/settings so i thought this was only a japanese market thing as well. I've only been driving this 440i for a week now but my prior gen 335is did not do this.

So I've only noticed it after i manually downshift via paddle while in D and then i hold a slow speed for a certain amount of time without accelerating hard. So maybe after 15-20 seconds of slow driving it adds 2 gear to whatever gear I'm in and that is what it then selects after about 5 more seconds if i don't immediately floor it or paddle shift from there.

I really want to turn this off altogether as this is one of the most annoying parts of my 440i to me so far. My other DD is a lex LS460 sport and I've gotten used to it over the years and i think it was the same as my prev 335is, wherein if i paddle downshift from D it stays in M paddle mode until i slap the shifter into M and back to D myself, or come to a complete stop. I know my Lex does this as i still drive it but that is also my memory of my prev bmw; correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless I'd love to be able to code the 440i to be able to stay in M and not auto go back to D after 20 seconds if i paddle downshift while in D.
As #9 said, it's just how Manual in D works in those cars

If you want "true" manual, put the gear selector to Sport/S and press any paddle to enter manual shifting. It will stay in the gear you select.

I guess the option to temporary enter manual in D is to make overtaking easier

Some bonus tips:
If you're in S manual and hold the -/downshift paddle it will do a kickdown-like downshift to the optimal gear for acceleration.
If you're in D manual and hold the +/upshift paddle it will go back to full auto (without having to wait for it to automatically do it)
Appreciate 4
      01-31-2024, 04:28 PM   #11
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Noticing right now its more like 5 seconds before it does selects then another 1-2 before it switches
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 04:50 PM   #12
leolulz
Rep

Quote:
Noticing right now its more like 5 seconds before it does selects then another 1-2 before it switches
The time it takes to go back to auto automatically depends on your throttle input
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 04:57 PM   #13
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolulz View Post
As #9 said, it's just how Manual in D works in those cars

If you want "true" manual, put the gear selector to Sport/S and press any paddle to enter manual shifting. It will stay in the gear you select.

I guess the option to temporary enter manual in D is to make overtaking easier

Some bonus tips:
If you're in S manual and hold the -/downshift paddle it will do a kickdown-like downshift to the optimal gear for acceleration.
If you're in D manual and hold the +/upshift paddle it will go back to full auto (without having to wait for it to automatically do it)
Thanks for the bonus tips, the downshifting gear selection was another gripe of mine in this new car for me. My last 2011 335is all i had to do was double tap the down paddle and it was game on. The other day in the 440i i double tapped and was still 2 gears higher than i wanted to be, lol. I feel like this thing has 12 gears the way it selects the gears, and this only has 1 extra gear over my last bmw. BTW i am 99% of the time in sport mode, which really seems like the only way to travel
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 05:09 PM   #14
leolulz
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the bonus tips, the downshifting gear selection was another gripe of mine in this new car for me. My last 2011 335is all i had to do was double tap the down paddle and it was game on. The other day in the 440i i double tapped and was still 2 gears higher than i wanted to be, lol. I feel like this thing has 12 gears the way it selects the gears, and this only has 1 extra gear over my last bmw. BTW i am 99% of the time in sport mode, which really seems like the only way to travel
Yeah it's alot of gears to row through haha! I actually like having it in auto, first auto which i think actually reads my mind. I'm tuned with xHP though which makes a huge difference imo

Don't forget this is the transmission sport mode ie. gear selector in sport (pushed to the left).
Changing the driving mode (ECO, Normal, Sport and Sport+) doesn't force the gearbox to lock in manual by pressing a paddle.

With the transmission in sportmode you can lock it in manual in any of the drive modes (ECO, Normal, Sport and Sport+)
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 07:12 PM   #15
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolulz View Post
Yeah it's alot of gears to row through haha! I actually like having it in auto, first auto which i think actually reads my mind. I'm tuned with xHP though which makes a huge difference imo

Don't forget this is the transmission sport mode ie. gear selector in sport (pushed to the left).
Changing the driving mode (ECO, Normal, Sport and Sport+) doesn't force the gearbox to lock in manual by pressing a paddle.

With the transmission in sportmode you can lock it in manual in any of the drive modes (ECO, Normal, Sport and Sport+)
i see what your saying now. yeah i was referring to driving in drive mode Sport all the time, on my gear selector P/R/N/D thing is says M/S so i take that to mean Manual/Sport but yeah i'm tracking now.

I flashed the ECU/DME to Stage 1 93 Octane this past Saturday morning after doing the spark plug/coil job. i only had the car for about 4 days prior to this and didn't really get a chance to row through the higher gears at woot until after doing the BM3 Stage 1 93 tune, but i wanna say from 5th to 6th or maybe it was 4th to 5th it feels so rough and jerky but yet violently powerful... seems like it wouldn't have been designed like that by BMW and is putting a lot of stress on the trans perhaps.

on my last 335is i had the upgraded trans shifting point tune from the 1 series flashed onto it (i just forget the actual tune name my car club friend put on it), mines was the DCT, but mannnn that made a huge difference. i was considering doing the xHP trans tune on this 440i most likely next month when i get my DP's installed and then flash to BM3 Stage 2. Any recommended specific tune from xHP; as it seem like there are a bunch of choices??

but will the xHP trans flash actually change the normal D + down shift via paddle functionality at all?? thanks for the knowledge.
      01-31-2024, 07:18 PM   #16
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
That's the nature of manual in D. It reverts to automatic in a few seconds and I actually like that, as it makes sense when you only want to shortly downshift but otherwise continue in automatic. If you want pure manual, Go to Sport mode and then Manual. It will stay in manual.
i guess i just got used to my other car(s) holding the manual mode until you push to M then back to D manually or come to a stop... i really wish i could code it to either stay in M or at least increase the amount of time with no additional throttle input before returning to D.

for me in my usual slow ass okinawa traffic i need a few extra seconds, or i need to get better at timing my next moves...

love that quote BTW, so accurate
      02-06-2024, 08:20 PM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
i see what your saying now. yeah i was referring to driving in drive mode Sport all the time, on my gear selector P/R/N/D thing is says M/S so i take that to mean Manual/Sport but yeah i'm tracking now.

I flashed the ECU/DME to Stage 1 93 Octane this past Saturday morning after doing the spark plug/coil job. i only had the car for about 4 days prior to this and didn't really get a chance to row through the higher gears at woot until after doing the BM3 Stage 1 93 tune, but i wanna say from 5th to 6th or maybe it was 4th to 5th it feels so rough and jerky but yet violently powerful... seems like it wouldn't have been designed like that by BMW and is putting a lot of stress on the trans perhaps.

on my last 335is i had the upgraded trans shifting point tune from the 1 series flashed onto it (i just forget the actual tune name my car club friend put on it), mines was the DCT, but mannnn that made a huge difference. i was considering doing the xHP trans tune on this 440i most likely next month when i get my DP's installed and then flash to BM3 Stage 2. Any recommended specific tune from xHP; as it seem like there are a bunch of choices??

but will the xHP trans flash actually change the normal D + down shift via paddle functionality at all?? thanks for the knowledge.
XHP has a ton of options. Best thing to do is flash the OTS "stage" that you want. Drive the car a bit and see how it behaves. Then go into the custom options and see what you might want to change. Depending on what OTS map you go with, the behavior may change a little or a lot. Personally i like the OTS map behavior on stage 2 for N55, i just set some custom shiftpoints and that's it.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 12:21 AM   #18
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
XHP has a ton of options. Best thing to do is flash the OTS "stage" that you want. Drive the car a bit and see how it behaves. Then go into the custom options and see what you might want to change. Depending on what OTS map you go with, the behavior may change a little or a lot. Personally i like the OTS map behavior on stage 2 for N55, i just set some custom shiftpoints and that's it.
thanks. i like having some options, but not 'full control' style options starting with OTS and being able to dial it a little one way or the other sounds like it would be best case.