F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > High Beam Malfunction / Adaptive Headlight Failure
Studio RSR

02-10-2024, 07:47 PM   #1
Unit_5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 4 Series

High Beam Malfunction / Adaptive Headlight Failure

Hi All -

I have a 2019 440i with adaptive LED headlights, and started getting these error messages out the blue after picking the car up from a brake fluid flush. Everything is stock.

When driving with high beams on, I started getting "left high beam malfunction" and "adaptive headlight failure" messages back-to-back during a turn. If I park the car and look at the headlights, it looks similar to this post.

Right after these errors are displayed, the car forces the high beams off. If I try to turn them back on, they will stay for a few seconds, then turn back off as these messages re-appear. Though I'm fairly sure the messages come first, then the car turns the high beams off. Also, once these errors start, they will continue triggering / appearing every time I turn the high beams on for longer than a few seconds, even if the wheel is straight.

What's weird is the adaptive low beams work fine, and I can always flash the high beams and they work. Only when they're left on for some time, this error happens. If I turn off the car, the error messages clear, and I'm able to use the high beams for some time before this repeats (in other words, they do appear to work correctly for ~10 minutes).

I've tried searching these and other forums, and I've found a few possibilities:

- bad connection / fuse
- bad control unit
- bad headlight unit
- bad leveling sensor

The dealer initially told me that their diagnostic system recommended replacing the whole headlight unit, but also noted that the car battery needs replacing. Is it possible that this is somehow triggering the above? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Unit_5; 02-10-2024 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0