F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Melted Light Connector, Rear Left
proTUNING Freaks

07-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
F30_Adler
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline

Melted Light Connector, Rear Left

My left brake light went out recently. I changed the bulbs and it was still out. The fuse checked out ok and then I feared for the worst....the dealer. I double checked the light and found the light connector melted along with the bulb socket. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I figure I can fix this myself thank goodness but wasn't sure what caused it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
F30_Adler
Private
Rep

It must have been from the bulb because of of the bulbs did have a black mark on it near the base.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
F30_Adler
Private
Rep

Could you guys help me find the part number or a link of where to buy the part in picture 2. I already found the part in picture 1 and 3.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It may not be sold separately, but as part of a replacement cable. I'd try the junkyard route.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
F30_Adler
Private
Rep

Went to my local dealer and they had both parts. I was able to repair the light myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_Adler View Post
Went to my local dealer and they had both parts.
That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. Parts that are kept in stock are parts that they know from experience will need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
F30_Adler
Private
Rep

It doesn't make me feel too great either. If it makes you feel any better I did go to the largest and most reputable dealer in my city. I kind of expected them to have it in stock because they sell and service so many cars. Also a Dinan dealer as well :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
CL53
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320D

Quote:
It doesn't make me feel too great either. If it makes you feel any better I did go to the largest and most reputable dealer in my city. I kind of expected them to have it in stock because they sell and service so many cars. Also a Dinan dealer as well :-)
Apologies for resurrecting your thread - I have had the same issue with my F30. Please could you let us know what parts you purchased to fix the wiring?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL53 View Post
Apologies for resurrecting your thread - I have had the same issue with my F30. Please could you let us know what parts you purchased to fix the wiring?
This happened to me on my 2014. Seems to be a common problem with BMW’s. In my case (and it looks the same on this car), it was the brown ground pin which cooked. Probably the interconnect in the connector is just not thick enough and it cooks, just like a burnt fuse. On my car, the ground is shared with the brake light and the turn signal. To repair it, I took a little bit of speaker cable and soldered it to the metal inside the housing. You need to scrape the metal a bit to roughen it for the solder to adhere. Once the wire is soldered, now you have a nice, thick ground which won’t fail. But, you need to get to through to where that connector is. In my housing, near that connector, there’s a small white cap which is removable. Pretty sure the purpose is to allow condensation to dry out without letting water in. If you pull this white cap off, you can thread the wire through, then replace the white cap.

Then I bought a simple spade lug male and female connector. I crimped one to the new wire I soldered in. Then, I pulled the wire from the “cooked” connector and crimped the other spade connector to that wire. Install the housing, attach the stock wire connector, and connect your two spade lug connectors. This way, you can easily disconnect the wires in the future when you need to replace a bulb.

A few months later, I took the car to the dealer for service and they replaced it all under warranty with stock parts, but I’m certain that my repair was far more durable than stock. I have some pictures but can’t attach them now. PM me if you’d like to see them or if you need more clear details.

Last edited by Rebound; 03-04-2018 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
sh0N
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
This happened to me on my 2014. Seems to be a common problem with BMW’s. In my case (and it looks the same on this car), it was the brown ground pin which cooked. Probably the interconnect in the connector is just not thick enough and it cooks, just like a burnt fuse. On my car, the ground is shared with the brake light and the turn signal. To repair it, I took a little bit of speaker cable and soldered it to the metal inside the housing. You need to scrape the metal a bit to roughen it for the solder to adhere. Once the wire is soldered, now you have a nice, thick ground which won’t fail. But, you need to get to through to where that connector is. In my housing, near that connector, there’s a small white cap which is removable. Pretty sure the purpose is to allow condensation to dry out without letting water in. If you pull this white cap off, you can thread the wire through, then replace the white cap.

Then I bought a simple spade lug male and female connector. I crimped one to the new wire I soldered in. Then, I pulled the wire from the “cooked” connector and crimped the other spade connector to that wire. Install the housing, attach the stock wire connector, and connect your two spade lug connectors. This way, you can easily disconnect the wires in the future when you need to replace a bulb.

A few months later, I took the car to the dealer for service and they replaced it all under warranty with stock parts, but I’m certain that my repair was far more durable than stock. I have some pictures but can’t attach them now. PM me if you’d like to see them or if you need more clear details.
Thanks for sharing this. Was your vehicle under a factory or CPO warranty? I have a 2014 under a CPO and dread what the dealership is going to tell me. According to my service guy, CPO does not cover any lighting or assemblies. I concede bulbs are consumable, but a harness and assembly are not.....right?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
sh0N
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I would tend to agree with you.

When CPO was 2 years, it covered no electronics (and even further limits).

When CPO was changed to 1 year about 12 months ago, it became equivalent to the Platinum. Extended Warranty, which does cover Electronics.

No idea when you received CPO or which was in effect at the time. Even better question is does older CPO change to Platinum?

Those are questions that would need to be answered for definitive answer, but I would elevate the question above the SA to the Service Manager or General Manager. I would think a case could be made it shoukd be covered.
To be honest, I have no idea how long the CPO lasts however I am under the impression it extends the warranty to 100k miles excluding the items listed here: http://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/B...NotCovered.pdf. I purchased the vehicle in mid 2016 but it still had plenty left on the factory warranty however I am over 50k miles which is when the CPO would kick in (I think).

Nonetheless, as I sit at the dealership this AM it seems like they're going to concede and cover the repair as its "not a bulb". Hopefully sharing this will answer someone's question in the future. If my shady dealer covers this repair, theres hope for all.....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
F30mb
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Alpina White

Quote:
Went to my local dealer and they had both parts. I was able to repair the light myself.
Did you get any part # by chance???
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
F30_Adler
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30mb View Post
Quote:
Did you get any part # by chance???
I did, I will have to check later today to see if I still have the packaging in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #15
F30mb
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Alpina White

Quote:
I did, I will have to check later today to see if I still have the packaging in my garage.
Sorry to bother but did you get a moment to find the part # for the plug itself, the bulb holder I was able to find but the plug has been next to impossible even ECS Tuning cant find it in the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #16
Pascual38
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Hello, can you post how to do it? I found the parts online.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #17
Pascual38
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30mb View Post
Sorry to bother but did you get a moment to find the part # for the plug itself, the bulb holder I was able to find but the plug has been next to impossible even ECS Tuning cant find it in the system.
This is what you're looking for https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/61132359993/
This is the exact part. Just need a diy so I don't screw anything up lol. I have a 2013 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
gbcoe1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0N View Post
Nonetheless, as I sit at the dealership this AM it seems like they're going to concede and cover the repair as its "not a bulb".
Warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship. This is a materials defect, the connector conductors being inadequately sized to handle the current drawn by the bulbs. This thread gave me another reason to go to LED tail lights, as they draw maybe 10% the current that incandescent does.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
theothernguyen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 Jet Black 328i Sedan

a little late to the party

Hey guys,

sorry a little late to the party.. but I have a cheap and easy DIY solution.

I encountered the exact same problem on my 2014 F30, got the rapid turn blinker error (other searched terms are turn signal rapid blinking or tail light triple blink or fast blinking), and I found the DIY fix in the e46 forum, and did a similar variation of the fix and posted about it there. ... I was too lazy to make a dedicated post on this forum, but I will link to the original post and my fix with photos. seems like the problem was corrosion of the ground wire.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpo...&postcount=334

hopefully it helps someone in the future! Save a few hundred from out of warranty repairs (they wanted to replaced the whole housing unit and connector)

cheers!

Last edited by theothernguyen; 11-09-2018 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Gr-Racing205.50
      12-22-2018, 12:12 PM   #21
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothernguyen View Post
Hey guys,

sorry a little late to the party.. but I have a cheap and easy DIY solution.

I encountered the exact same problem on my 2014 F30, got the rapid turn blinker error (other searched terms are turn signal rapid blinking or tail light triple blink or fast blinking), and I found the DIY fix in the e46 forum, and did a similar variation of the fix and posted about it there. ... I was too lazy to make a dedicated post on this forum, but I will link to the original post and my fix with photos. seems like the problem was corrosion of the ground wire.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpo...&postcount=334

hopefully it helps someone in the future! Save a few hundred from out of warranty repairs (they wanted to replaced the whole housing unit and connector)

cheers!
just got this problem today , call the dealer and they want $120 for the housing and connector repair kit or pay $55 on ECS and hope I don't get pull over before it arrives so im going to give this cheap Fix a try

thanks for the link
Great work on this find btw

Last edited by Gr-Racing; 12-22-2018 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #22
theothernguyen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 Jet Black 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
just got this problem today , call the dealer and they want $120 for the housing and connector repair kit or pay $55 on ECS and hope I don't get pull over before it arrives so im going to give this cheap Fix a try

thanks for the link
Great work on this find btw
Even if you get a fix-it ticket, it will be still cheaper than having the dealer fix it.

It's been over a year and the fix is still working solid!

In my link, there are two sets of photos, one is for the e46, then I included a few photos for mine as well, in particular is the first photo where you have to get pliers in to lift the ground metal contact that originally connects to the female terminal.

Took me no longer than 15 minutes labor, but took a while since I had to scour the garage for makeshift spare parts that you can easily find at a small hardware store..

Good lick!!
Appreciate 0