F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Halogen to LED bulbs change. No issues so far...
Extreme Powerhouse

11-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
SeattleJer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Garage List
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdxway View Post
I like the white better than the old halogen color. My old halogen has pretty clear cut off. The LED would blind incoming cars if used as is. I had to open the hood to use a hex key to adjust the aim to point lower. It seems stronger in short distance. I can't really comment about driving high-speed in pitch dark as I have not tried.

Amazon reviews are few, but all 5 stars.

Other than that, I think it looks better from the front at night. Look a bit higher end than my old halogen bulbs. : )
Thank you for the quick review. When it's time to change my bulbs, I'd like to install LED's.

Quote:
BTW, if you see my post above yours, it will blink during daytime with daylight running light on. You either need to do coding or turn off daylight running light to stop the blinking.

No blinking issue during night time so far.

This is just for low beams. I believe for back light, etc, you will need to do code.
Yes, I read the other posts, and I plan on purchasing a coding solution soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I think I got you now. The issue is not during dark time when the low beams is on.
The entire point of the cold/warm checks is so the car can warn you that you've got a bulb out when it most matters, during the day, so you can go buy a bulb and replace it before dark.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #25
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The entire point of the cold/warm checks is so the car can warn you that you've got a bulb out when it most matters, during the day, so you can go buy a bulb and replace it before dark.
Yes, I got warning for my daylight running bulbs about a year back and the warning was gone after I changed bulbs.

I also found out this morning that if I turn off daylight running light in settings, and turn the light switch to off, there is no check for my low beams during day time. I stood in front of my car for about 5 minutes with engine running and there was no blinks.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #26
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I think I am going to code.

It works fine without flickers when it is totally dark, or when it is sunny with light off.

The issue is during the transition time of dark to sunny. I don't want to worry about flicker during those dark to sunny transition time.

So, is this still the best one to use?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XG...TF8&th=1&psc=1

I think based on reviews, the Bluetooth version still works and wifi version not working anymore?
Use it with Bimmercode app, correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by Pdxway; 11-07-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
sun1914
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDrive

I changed my Halogen bulbs to LED as well as my fog lights.
When I first start the car I get a flicker/strobe light effect that I actually don't mind.
I'm sure it can be coded to allow the car to not send the signal but I like the flicker.
It doesn't bother me.

I'm looking to upgrade the DRL bulb and turn signals next.
Silver 2014 328i xDrive AWD // Metallic Black Roof Wrap // Gunnetal 19" VMR v710s // 10 mm Rear Spacers // H&R Springs // MSport Conversion Kit // MPerformance Exhaust // Injen Intake // ER FOB // BM3 Stage 2 93 Oct AGG
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #28
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun1914 View Post
I changed my Halogen bulbs to LED as well as my fog lights.
When I first start the car I get a flicker/strobe light effect that I actually don't mind.
I'm sure it can be coded to allow the car to not send the signal but I like the flicker.
It doesn't bother me.

I'm looking to upgrade the DRL bulb and turn signals next.
The issue I am worry about is not the initial startup blinks. It is the blinks during day time driving.

During daytime driving when only DRL are on and low beams are off, every minute or so, the low beams would blink due to warm check. The driver in front of you might get confused about getting blinked by you.

All you need to check is this: keep the car running with just DLR on, stand in front of your car and observe the low beams for a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #29
sun1914
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDrive

Quote:
The issue I am worry about is not the initial startup blinks. It is the blinks during day time driving.

During daytime driving when only DRL are on and low beams are off, every minute or so, the low beams would blink due to warm check. The driver in front of you might get confused about getting blinked by you.

All you need to check is this: keep the car running with just DLR on, stand in front of your car and observe the low beams for a few minutes.
Oh, I totally get ur point.
I coded off my DRL's. I didn't like the look of the halogen bulb with the LEDs. So I just coded the DRLs off. I'll turn them back on when I get the led bulbs for DRL.
Silver 2014 328i xDrive AWD // Metallic Black Roof Wrap // Gunnetal 19" VMR v710s // 10 mm Rear Spacers // H&R Springs // MSport Conversion Kit // MPerformance Exhaust // Injen Intake // ER FOB // BM3 Stage 2 93 Oct AGG
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #30
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

I decided to do coding anyway. Bought Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) from Amazon and bought Bimmercode app. Able to turn off cold and warm check for the low beams. I turned back on my DRL for daytime driving.
Appreciate 0