F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lazy gearbox
proTUNING Freaks

08-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Lazy gearbox

My first auto car so go easy on me. I am not sure what my expectations were.

Regardless of what mode I am in on the gearbox or drive modes, i get some serious delay sometimes when pulling away from stationery in the car

Of course it is usually at the most critical situations like nipping out of a junction etc but it is getting to the stage where I am second guessing my ability to get out in front of coming traffic etc

I also find myself smashing my foot right down to kick down sometimes in pure panic

Is this normal and is the box a little lazy?

F31 325d MSport 8spd btw

J
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
I don't know much about the Auto as it's my first one, but my 330D is fine. i've had a few lurches, but you get used to how much pedal is required to pull off at what pace and when it changes gear based on how much throttle you give it.

Perhaps yours need looking at.
      08-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Sounds like you have an issue to be honest. The 8 speed sport auto on my 330d is by far the best automatic I have driven. For a 1.7 tonne car it can't half get out of junctions at a fast rate!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

The box is like that in eco pro, although that's more to do with throttle response. Should be a noticeable difference between modes. This box should be superb, so if it's not you probably have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

My 320i, 8 spd auto, takes off like a rocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

I'm wondering if I have the same issue - I have a hesitation on soft throttle. If I floor it it goes like stink - but I don't want to thrash it out of every junction.

Same problem in Sport and Normal and Eco - but to add to this I have a hesitation and annoying downshift through corners/roundabouts - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1524778

Wondering if there's a throttle issue or its just some software.

Might take it in the dealer for them to have a look at it and try and get a F36 to try for the day to see if its the same.

The F10 I had before this didn't have the problem at all and that was just the standard auto box.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

This behaviour has been consistent on the 8AT in my 330d since I've owned it. Personally I think it's a very poor characteristic but, having demonstrated it and discussed it to/with BMW Techs (numerous times) and a UK technical rep for ZF, it seems that it is something that one has to accept.

In certain situations there is effectively no drive (Comfort mode, brake almost to a standstill, then try to accelerate again - even modestly) - it can be quite dangerous. BMW/ZF claim that this is due to torque limitation in order to avoid overloading the transmission. In the situation that I describe, I call BS on that !

Stick it in Sport or Sport+ and the problem effectively disappears. I think it's a programming fault.

Out of interest, can anyone that has had the Alpina map flashed onto their 8AT comment on whether it solves this problem ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

isn't there a gearbox, throttle reset function? The box tries to learn and adapt to driving styles and I seem to recall some posts similar to this that were cured with the reset. This could of course be nonsense

edit - this may help

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1182679

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 1
speedski547.00
      08-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

It depends on how you drive I think. If i am pottering around town and never putting my foot down, the gearbox adapts to this driving style. If you then want to set off quickly, there can be some slight hesitation and you may have to accelerate harder than normal.

Try pushing the stick into Sport for a few minutes and them back into Comfort. See how it sets off then.

I would be surprised if there is a problem with your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
This behaviour has been consistent on the 8AT in my 330d since I've owned it. Personally I think it's a very poor characteristic but, having demonstrated it and discussed it to/with BMW Techs (numerous times) and a UK technical rep for ZF, it seems that it is something that one has to accept.

In certain situations there is effectively no drive (Comfort mode, brake almost to a standstill, then try to accelerate again - even modestly) - it can be quite dangerous. BMW/ZF claim that this is due to torque limitation in order to avoid overloading the transmission. In the situation that I describe, I call BS on that !

Stick it in Sport or Sport+ and the problem effectively disappears. I think it's a programming fault.

Out of interest, can anyone that has had the Alpina map flashed onto their 8AT comment on whether it solves this problem ?

I don't get anything like you describe in comfort mode, .. if I push the accelerator more than slightly mine takes off like a rocket. It's remapped but I don't remember there being a problem before either.

I'd say there's a problem somewhere there.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
My first auto car so go easy on me. I am not sure what my expectations were.

Regardless of what mode I am in on the gearbox or drive modes, i get some serious delay sometimes when pulling away from stationery in the car

Of course it is usually at the most critical situations like nipping out of a junction etc but it is getting to the stage where I am second guessing my ability to get out in front of coming traffic etc

I also find myself smashing my foot right down to kick down sometimes in pure panic

Is this normal and is the box a little lazy?

F31 325d MSport 8spd btw

J
First thing that comes to mind is what gearbox do you have? Is it just an auto box, or is it a SPORTS auto box? Which gear stick do you have?
Also, do you have paddles as the sports auto has paddles?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

its normal its the Torque converter spinning up

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
Not all autos have the issue. Some are immediate at all times, no hesitation, no jolt, or slow take up. Similar issues with the E9x, E60 models, again not all suffered the problems. My 8-speed is superb, constant day to day performance, immediate, no hesitation, both up and down the box.

We've had similar issues with VW DSG gearboxes. So not a TC problem, more build tolerances and gearbox software issues, from experience we have gained in the family vehicles.
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      08-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #14
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
If it was normal everyone would experience the same problem .. some of us don't though.. mine for example has no hesitation pulling away at anytime in comfort mode. Watsey mentions his hesitation goes away in sport mode suggesting it's something software related.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #15
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

i dont understand how as that would mean the torque converter is engaged at all times.

everyone i been out in has suffered from it. i dont notice it in mine as im use to it and drive around it but i know its there still.

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
i dont understand how as that would mean the torque converter is engaged at all times.

everyone i been out in has suffered from it. i dont notice it in mine as im use to it and drive around it but i know its there still.
If you mean initial take up, that is different from hesitation and unpredictable response. Remember once on the move the 8-speed TC lockup clutch is engaged virtually all the time. Part of the problem with some examples could be associated with the way the TC locks up.

My example of the DSG boxes, one worked perfectly, no hesitation, no delays in pick up. Exactly the same setup in another vehicle, terrible unpredictable behaviour. To the point of being dangerous. Software revisions changed the behaviour, but still not acceptable. New gearbox changed it again, but not a permanent solution. Took three attempts at software revisions (with the new gearbox) to get it to be something like the other vehicle. Only real solution was to trade it and get another example that worked properly.

No one at VW could explain why one was perfect and the other couldn't be matched for gearbox performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
First thing that comes to mind is what gearbox do you have? Is it just an auto box, or is it a SPORTS auto box? Which gear stick do you have?
Also, do you have paddles as the sports auto has paddles?

Hi bud.

Mine is the one on the right with the flappy paddles

J
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #18
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Theres been a few people say about this in comfort mode but if they use sport the problem isn't there. Often helped by the throttle reset.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:59 AM   #19
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all of the updates guys, car is in with BMW in a bit with regards to the steering being a little vague so will add this to my ever growing list now :/
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:02 AM   #20
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Sound more like throttle response rather than gearbox issues.

My C350 Merc used to have this, put your foot down and it had to think about it, outright dangerous. I put a pedal box in the car made a huge difference and no more sluggish take offs.

Never had the issue in my 330d F31 though. Put it in sports mode and you should have a far sharper throttle response if it isn't then a trip to the dealer is in order.

Another way to test if the throttle response changes as per mode, is to be driving in comfort on an open road with a steady throttle say 50mph then switch to sport move keeping your foot where it is, the car should instantly drop a gear and accelerate away and be far more responsive. If not sounds like an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #21
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Had the alpine flash done along with a remap.

Didn’t really notice any hesitation/delay/sluggishness in picking up revs prior but have noticed it a bit post upgrades.

Now I’m not sure if it’s down to the Alpina version changing up earlier or an increase in lag - could even be my driving style !

Did notice that it seemed to go away when I used Bp ultimate

Thoughts welcomed.
      08-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #22
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Worth getting the dealer to let you try another car for comparison? That removes the "they all do it" excuse.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0