F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Anyone have a Front Strut Tower Brace on their F30?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #45
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Thanks. That was super helpful. I think we may have different cars as my air filter is on the left (if facing the engine with the hood open), but if I understand correctly that should not influence too much or much at all for the install. In looking at my car this weekend, I see the wire issue on the left that runs along the strut tower that you discuss. On the right there is a covered box, will the brace hit that covered box? From your help and the help from the rest of the forum members, it seems like I should be able to easily do this mod.

Thanks again for your help.
Yeah it looks like you have a 340 and i have a 335, so your airbox location is different. Shouldn't matter though, so long as the bar is stated as fitting your car. Other plastic placement may be different, im not sure.

As to the bolts, you can always remove 1 and go to your dealer to make sure you get the exact same one.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #46
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post

Received my Megan Racing strut brace today. My thoughts and notes...

Naturally, this brace is known in the state of California to contribute to cancer, homelessness, and the proliferation of feline AIDS, so please proceed carefully with this in mind.

Installation was fast and easy, total of about ten minutes. Most of that was spent getting the protective plastic off. Many people have noted that they didn’t have to remove or modify the ECU cover on their N20/B58, this does not appear to be possible on the B46/48. Someone PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe these covers are just cosmetic, so I’m going to leave mine off until I get the time to trim it to fit as neatly as possible.

The good: YES, the difference is noticeable. Largely in road feel. I’m not entirely sure why it makes such a difference, but the brace does help alleviate the criticized numbness in the F30 steering. It definitely feels more ‘alive’ and communicative than before. I do notice some improvement in rigidity, namely when entering incline changes at an angle there is less of that side to side ‘wobble’. It does feel like the car rolls less, but I think that’s just a perceived effect from the wobble reduction and improvement in steering feel rather than an actual reduction in body roll. Overall, the car feels somewhat more planted and confident.

The neutral: I don’t feel that ‘handling’ has really improved any. I put that in quotes because yes, the way it FEELS when pushed is definitely better. I don’t think, though, it makes any quantifiable improvement in the car’s cornering capabilities, other than the increased feedback and confidence it may give the driver from improved feel.

I also don’t like that I have to modify my ECU cover, but Megan Racing explicitly warned that this would need to be done, so not really a negative point.

The bad: That’s not all that will need to be modified.

More noticeable than, and negatively distracting from any improvements in steering feel was this obnoxious light rattle, present only at and just off idle. On the main engine cover, there is a flange over a harness that vibrates very closely to the bar. It will need to be trimmed. This is actually much less significant than the ECU cover and won’t need much to be trimmed...but it wasn’t mentioned, and I really don’t like cutting my car.

Overall, good and worth doing for the improvement felt in the wheel. Just be aware, if you have a B46/48 some cutting will be required.
Update, still greatly enjoying the extra feel in the steering. I have noticed that this extra feedback sometimes also makes the road seem a little harsher and noisier, could be completely in my imagination or possibly why it wasn’t included in the first place. I’m fine with it, as I suspect most of us would be.

Also finished modifying the ECU cover...although for some reason, I wasn’t comfortable doing so until I had a replacement. This car makes me OCD.

All done! Made it through the whole post without drawing attention to where I nicked the cover with the dremel...crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #47
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Thanks. That was super helpful. I think we may have different cars as my air filter is on the left (if facing the engine with the hood open), but if I understand correctly that should not influence too much or much at all for the install. In looking at my car this weekend, I see the wire issue on the left that runs along the strut tower that you discuss. On the right there is a covered box, will the brace hit that covered box? From your help and the help from the rest of the forum members, it seems like I should be able to easily do this mod.

Thanks again for your help.
Yeah it looks like you have a 340 and i have a 335, so your airbox location is different. Shouldn't matter though, so long as the bar is stated as fitting your car. Other plastic placement may be different, im not sure.

As to the bolts, you can always remove 1 and go to your dealer to make sure you get the exact same one.
Thanks I ordered the Weicher's brace. It is on back order and will come later this month. I will get the bolts ahead of time. After watching the Kies video, this should not be too hard. I have access to a torque wrench and with the help above in this thread I have all of the info to do this the right way.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #48
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
The F30 chassis already has a strutbar. It attaches the strut tower to the firewall.
The stock bar is not totally effective since it doesn't connect point to point between the strut towers. Adding a strut brace provides a noticeable difference.
Did end up going with the wiechers brace that you mentioned on the previous page? Do you still like it? How hard is it for some one competent with tools but has not done this before, to put on? Seems straight forward but with some very specific instructions that have to be followed to do it right and safely.
It's very simple to install.

The video was great. As I just stated in the post above, I ordered the weicher's brace, which as shown in the video should be easy fir me to install correctly. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #49
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks I ordered the Weicher's brace. It is on back order and will come later this month. I will get the bolts ahead of time. After watching the Kies video, this should not be too hard. I have access to a torque wrench and with the help above in this thread I have all of the info to do this the right way.
Cool, just read my post here on how to preload it during install: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=233
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      05-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #50
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Cool, just read my post here on how to preload it during install: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=233
I did read your thread. Thanks. Your reminder was good as I looked at it again. I understand the concept of preloading, but I do have a question. The idea is that when the strut towers are under stress they can compress (move towards each other), correct? So by preloading with the bar just a tad bit longer as you point out, and then tightening down the bolts appropriately, you have a bit of loaded potential to keep the towers firm. Is that the correct interpretation?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #51
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I did read your thread. Thanks. Your reminder was good as I looked at it again. I understand the concept of preloading, but I do have a question. The idea is that when the strut towers are under stress they can compress (move towards each other), correct? So by preloading with the bar just a tad bit longer as you point out, and then tightening down the bolts appropriately, you have a bit of loaded potential to keep the towers firm. Is that the correct interpretation?
Yup. The deflection/movement of the strut towers (with no brace) is quite small, so the preload in my mind will maximize the tangible benefits of installing the brace.
Appreciate 0