F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Depo LCI inner taillight keeps popping out
Extreme Powerhouse

11-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport 6MT

Depo LCI inner taillight keeps popping out

I recently installed the Depo LCI taillights on my F30 and boy do they look good. The only problem was the inner lights were a pain in the ass to install and it seems like it's poorly held to the car (I blame BMW on this one). Anyhow, after a month one of them popped out and it was fairly easy to pop back in but it came out again, and I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. It seems like the foam that prevents water damage is really thick on the Depo lights when compared to OEM, so it was rather difficult to get it fully pressed down. Here's a pic for reference:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
yk36134.50
      11-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Are you sure that you have it in there properly? One side has a tab on it that slides behind some metal on the trunk, that is crucial when installing. The other side has the little plastic piece that gets screwed down. Judging by your picture, the tab didnt slide in properly behind the metal. Takes a little bit of force to get it in there but that would be my guess. Make sure the tab isnt cracked either...
      11-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Fast forward to about 11 minutes into my video. I kind of explain how it needs to be seated on the trunk...

11-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
JavN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp/Xdrive

I've been having the same issue, left side too, just haven't really bothered to take that trunk liner off to readjust it yet. Hopefully that fixes it whenever I get a chance to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelsauce View Post
I recently installed the Depo LCI taillights on my F30 and boy do they look good. The only problem was the inner lights were a pain in the ass to install and it seems like it's poorly held to the car (I blame BMW on this one). Anyhow, after a month one of them popped out and it was fairly easy to pop back in but it came out again, and I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. It seems like the foam that prevents water damage is really thick on the Depo lights when compared to OEM, so it was rather difficult to get it fully pressed down. Here's a pic for reference:
So you blame BMW for poor fitting aftermarkets, lol.

Amazing.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      11-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
Fast forward to about 11 minutes into my video. I kind of explain how it needs to be seated on the trunk...

I actually used your video to help with the install, as it was recommended by USR. I spent a good amount of time making sure it was properly seated. That being said, I think the problem may also be that I didn't use a deep 8mm socket and perhaps I could've screwed in tighter, even though at the time I felt like it was as tight as it could go. Will be purchasing one over the weekend and try to adjust. Thanks again for the helpful video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Amazing.
No, the fit is spot on and as I mentioned the foam is thicker than OEM, but might also be because the OEM has been sitting in there since 2012 and is now extremely compressed. The problem is that the way these lights are seated was poorly designed and could've used a better mechanism to achieve a more secure fit. But of course, that's just an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Amazing.
No, the fit is spot on and as I mentioned the foam is thicker than OEM, but might also be because the OEM has been sitting in there since 2012 and is now extremely compressed. The problem is that the way these lights are seated was poorly designed and could've used a better mechanism to achieve a more secure fit. But of course, that's just an opinion.
The OEM lights fit fine. No car is designed to make non-OEM aftermarket parts fit easily.

It's the job of the aftermarket part to be designed correctly, not the other way around.
Appreciate 2
chowser512025.00
Swappy531.50
      11-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep

Nice man! Hope the video helped! I bet it’ll be a simple fix after you pop off the interior trim pieces. Good luck!

Quote:
I actually used your video to help with the install, as it was recommended by USR. I spent a good amount of time making sure it was properly seated. That being said, I think the problem may also be that I didn't use a deep 8mm socket and perhaps I could've screwed in tighter, even though at the time I felt like it was as tight as it could go. Will be purchasing one over the weekend and try to adjust. Thanks again for the helpful video.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:12 AM   #9
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Haven’t people with original lights also posted to say they’ve popped? Dealer replaced them in some cases so must be a design/fitment issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:33 AM   #10
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
Nice man! Hope the video helped! I bet it’ll be a simple fix after you pop off the interior trim pieces. Good luck!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Haven’t people with original lights also posted to say they’ve popped? Dealer replaced them in some cases so must be a design/fitment issue?
I didn't know this to be an issue, but judging by the design I'm not surprised. After taking out the OEM tail lights I was quite baffled by how they even managed to stay in.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:37 AM   #11
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
My non LCI OEM taillights did that. The dealer replaced my inner lights for free, there was a service bulletin out for it IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #12
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niart906 View Post
My non LCI OEM taillights did that. The dealer replaced my inner lights for free, there was a service bulletin out for it IIRC.
Ditto, both sides. Original part was superseded by another with much stronger tabs/design. And "yes", there is a TSB for the inner light.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
sammyroots
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

same issue

Quote:
having the same issue and very frustrated about it. did you find a solution? ive tightened everything and triple checked fitment . it keeps popping. any suggestions? I was about to resort to 3M or extra strength Velcro. idk im desperate at this point. out.

also off/on topic, I purchased all the led upgraded bulbs for my depo head and tail lights from USR , the reverse light, front amber turn signals are flickering/flashing when I turn on the car. I haven't coded yet so that could possibly be the solution and fix. anything helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:07 AM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You really have to check the alignment and the lines during installation. I bought OEM LCI tails and even they required a lot of muscling and checking to make sure they're lined up properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #15
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has any tips/hacks for keeping the inner tail lights from popping out as mine still does this once in a while. And before anyone comments: yes, I am 10000% positive they are seated correctly. This has been a known issue even with stock tail lights. Take apart one of these things and you'll realize that the design is questionable, to say the least.
Appreciate 0