F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front end wobble noise over small bumps at low speeds
Studio RSR

01-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #89
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Mine is worse in this cold. Really do not like the noise feedback for $50k+++ car
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #90
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Dang the whole rack huh? I had no idea this was such a common thing... Glad to hear it's nothing that will do damage if I don't do anything about it though, it really doesn't bother me.
CPO took care of the cost.

The only issue I have ever read is the steering clunk. But nothing about the clunk causing any other issues.
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301999.50
      01-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #91
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
CPO took care of the cost.

The only issue I have ever read is the steering clunk. But nothing about the clunk causing any other issues.
Ah, well if CPO covers it I might have to consider it.
      01-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #92
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Ah, well if CPO covers it I might have to consider it.
Just be aware that the will need to program the new rack and that will erase any coding you have done. I have a lot done to mine so that caused issues and I have bimmer tech CA kit and it also caused issues with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #93
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Just be aware that the will need to program the new rack and that will erase any coding you have done. I have a lot done to mine so that caused issues and I have bimmer tech CA kit and it also caused issues with that.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't done any coding, only electrical thing I've reprogrammed is the DME with a flash tune, but I can just clear that before and re-flash it after the repair.
      01-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #94
truth649
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Any update on this?
Just got it back. Noise is still there, worse than before. It is about 5 degrees out so I don’t know if that is why it seems worse than before. They replaced the drivers side strut assembly. Kind of pisses me off that they acknowledged the noise when they diagnosed it and returned it to me with a worse noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:53 PM   #95
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth649 View Post
Just got it back. Noise is still there, worse than before. It is about 5 degrees out so I don’t know if that is why it seems worse than before. They replaced the drivers side strut assembly. Kind of pisses me off that they acknowledged the noise when they diagnosed it and returned it to me with a worse noise.
My car is noticeably noisier with these very low temperatures. Kind of sounds like loose marbles. Considering your car is the same or worse (probably because of the temps), I would conclude that the problem is not the struts then.

More and more, I think this has to be just the nature of the car in combination with the cold. And I would be all F30's have the issue, but only a few people seem to notice.

The high today here was 15 F. By Monday, our high will be in the 60's. Will be interesting to see how the noise is then.

As for your car, I don't know if it is worth it to go back to the dealership then. Seems like BMW has no clue at all on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #96
truth649
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My car is noticeably noisier with these very low temperatures. Kind of sounds like loose marbles. Considering your car is the same or worse (probably because of the temps), I would conclude that the problem is not the struts then.

More and more, I think this has to be just the nature of the car in combination with the cold. And I would be all F30's have the issue, but only a few people seem to notice.

The high today here was 15 F. By Monday, our high will be in the 60's. Will be interesting to see how the noise is then.

As for your car, I don't know if it is worth it to go back to the dealership then. Seems like BMW has no clue at all on this.
I dropped it off again this morning and this time I took the service adviser for a ride and he noticed the noise before we even left the parking lot. He said it is possible that BOTH struts are bad, they only replaced the drivers side one. In my case, the noise is worse when it is cold, but it is present even in warm temps, just not as bad. They gave me a 340 as a loaner which was good for comparison, and the noise is not there with the loaner. Same car, M Sport, adaptive suspension. It will be interesting to see what they say. my guess is they will say they need to replace the other strut but I dont have a lot of confidence that will fix it. I'll keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #97
mkppk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M Performance

Both struts replaced twice - same issue.

I've had the same issue. 2014 335i xDrive with EDC (adaptive suspension).

Dealership replaced both struts under warranty in April 2018, I bought the car used shortly before that. It is January 2019 and the issue came back. They said it was the same issue and replaced both struts a second time. Almost immediately after leaving I can tell the noise is still there, maybe even worse. I'll be going back again but have begun researching it on my own and it seems pretty common.

Here are some interesting notes from my invoices:

Visit #1: "Shook down vehicle and found no loose suspension components. Found SIB related to similar concern, says to reprogram vehicle but vehicle level is above requested. 2 struts on order from Germany"

Visit #2: "Found front struts internally failing. Replaced front struts"

Looking at the dates, it is possible I've been noticing this more in the winter.

There is another long thread about this issue where there is a lot of talk about a software update that has resolved it for many people. It isn't clear if this just for adaptive suspension but it doesn't make a lot for sense that a software change would help non-EDC folks. See https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...795016&page=14

At this point I have doubts that the strut replacements are the correct fix, but at the same time they did say they found them to have internally failed. I'd like them to take a closer look at the potential software fix (altho they also say the software is updated past the SIB note), or the steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #98
truth649
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got a text that now they are replacing the front tension arms and the sway bar links. They need to keep the car until at least Monday so I will have more news then.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #99
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just got a text that now they are replacing the front tension arms and the sway bar links. They need to keep the car until at least Monday so I will have more news then.
Thank you for the updates. Maybe they will have some luck.

Looking forward to your next update.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #100
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkppk View Post

Dealership replaced both struts under warranty in April 2018, I bought the car used shortly before that. It is January 2019 and the issue came back. They said it was the same issue and replaced both struts a second time. Almost immediately after leaving I can tell the noise is still there, maybe even worse. I'll be going back again but have begun researching it on my own and it seems pretty common.

Visit #1: "Shook down vehicle and found no loose suspension components. Found SIB related to similar concern, says to reprogram vehicle but vehicle level is above requested. 2 struts on order from Germany"

Looking at the dates, it is possible I've been noticing this more in the winter.

There is another long thread about this issue where there is a lot of talk about a software update that has resolved it for many people. It isn't clear if this just for adaptive suspension but it doesn't make a lot for sense that a software change would help non-EDC folks. See https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...795016&page=14

At this point I have doubts that the strut replacements are the correct fix, but at the same time they did say they found them to have internally failed. I'd like them to take a closer look at the potential software fix (altho they also say the software is updated past the SIB note), or the steering rack.
How would someone go about getting the software update done?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #101
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think I will try replacing my tension arms also as the kit isn't that expensive. Was going to replace the end links anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #102
Kaguro
Rep
Drives: 4 Series

Having the same issues with my 2015 GC 428xi as well. Definitely a lot louder when it is colder out in Canada's winter. Never noticed it in the warmer spring months when I purchased it last year but the noise started appearing when the weather temperature dropped in October. Very interested to see if anyone finds out what is causing this noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:13 PM   #103
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
i love my 335d so much except for the rattly noise from the drivers side over bumpy roads/manhole covers.
changing shocks and control arms and steering rack thrust piece and changing front tyres hasnt helped
2 different dealerships have tried and failed and keep telling me the suspension is in fab condition and the noise is 'normal'
sad because the car is perfect otherwise but the rattle constantly reminds me of a problem that i can't solve (faliure)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #104
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
I had a rattle over bumps at low speed. It was the blower.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #105
Spaceme1117
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livetodrive View Post
What do you mean, the blower? Could you elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #106
Jam101jam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Gran Coup xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livetodrive View Post
Yeah what you mean by blower?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #107
Jam101jam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Gran Coup xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

There is another long thread about this issue where there is a lot of talk about a software update that has resolved it for many people. It isn't clear if this just for adaptive suspension but it doesn't make a lot for sense that a software change would help non-EDC folks. See https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...16&page=14

Quote:
Quote:

There is another long thread about this issue where there is a lot of talk about a software update that has resolved it for many people. It isn't clear if this just for adaptive suspension but it doesn't make a lot for sense that a software change would help non-EDC folks. See https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...16&page=14

+1 on this one
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #108
Mattx98
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam101jam View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

+1 on this one
I'm interested in knowing more about this software update. I wonder if it's similar to Dinan Shockware.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #109
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
The HVAC blower was loose in its mount. The BMW tech found it on the second service to find the rattle.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #110
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I believe any type of software update for OEM parts would need to be done at the dealer.
Appreciate 0