F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Best intake combo?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Best intake combo?

I ended up ordering an upper silicone inlet pipe as well as an afm drop in. From what I'm reading, keeping the stock box is good, and the drop in adds some responsiveness and noise. I'm addition, I figured for the low price that I would do the silicone upper inlet pipe (which deletes the resonator). Is this the "best" intake combo for these b58's (stock turbo). In addition, do the lower turbo inlet pipes prove to be effective? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonloos_21 View Post
I ended up ordering an upper silicone inlet pipe as well as an afm drop in. From what I'm reading, keeping the stock box is good, and the drop in adds some responsiveness and noise. I'm addition, I figured for the low price that I would do the silicone upper inlet pipe (which deletes the resonator). Is this the "best" intake combo for these b58's (stock turbo). In addition, do the lower turbo inlet pipes prove to be effective? Thanks
Drop in airfilter provides better airflow so a little more performance (<5%) but isn't going to give you any more noise. Air Intakes do that by providing bigger holes for the sound to get out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:15 AM   #3
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

<5% ?

Rather <1%. And potentially increase engine wear due to compromised filtering.
Not sure why people do that (other than for sound/noise and unless heavily tuned / bigger turbo, etc.).
      10-18-2021, 05:15 AM   #4
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
<5% ?

Rather <1%. And potentially increase engine wear due to compromised filtering.
Not sure why people do that (other than for sound/noise and unless heavily tuned / bigger turbo, etc.).
I have often heard that is the case with intake systems rather than drop ins.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:27 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Let's put it like this - the stock air-filter and inlet of the B58 is established to be adequate for up to about 500PS-550PS.... just a reference figure but indicative.
Why improve something which needs no improvement.
      10-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let's put it like this - the stock air-filter and inlet of the B58 is established to be adequate for up to about 500PS-550PS.... just a reference figure but indicative.
Why improve something which needs no improvement.
I figure it would be a good supporting mod for when I run e30 and tu pump in the near future. I have seen some testing results showing that the drop in provides a slight bit of power and torque against the OEM, whereas the aftermarket intake systems actually cause timing to be pulled and result in lower power and torque numbers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Consider potentially increased engine wear.
The only way to allow more air in without increasing the filter area itself is to filter less....
Filtering less, means more (bigger) particles going in to the turbo/engine.
For 3PS more... no thanks.
      10-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #8
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
The only way to allow more air in without increasing the filter area itself is to filter less....
Considering that BMW MPPSK decided not to upgrade the stock intake, I think it would be safe to say the stock intake with the excellent particulate filter is adequate as you say at least up through 370 hp or so with minimal gains on filter mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #9
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you think then maybe (since b58 filter is adequate) installing an upper intake silicone pipe (resonator delete) may be the best solution then? It is after the filter and can allow for smoother and more airflow. Plus you'll get some intake notice I presume.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Depends on what you are hoping to achieve…
I personally think you should be looking at changes/upgrades of the exhaust system for both performance and sound, and not the intake. You get much more of both through exhaust changes.

I wouldn't touch the stock intake (at least not unless you go for bigger turbo, etc). But that's just me.
      10-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #11
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what you are hoping to achieve…
I personally think you should be looking at changes/upgrades of the exhaust system for both performance and sound, and not the intake. You get much more of both through exhaust changes.

I wouldn't touch the stock intake (at least not unless you go for bigger turbo, etc). But that's just me.
Appreciate the feedback!

I actually am catless with MPE as it is. BM3 Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #12
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

I would go with the MST closed box intake as it will be shielded from the heat produced by the turbo and may provide protection against any particles in the air but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Open intakes will add 5-10 whp on a stock turbo non-tuned car. The main difference between the brands is sound. Injen, BMS and VR are the most popular

If you are not looking for a loud intake, get the MST

Dyno w/ BMS intake

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #14
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

5-10 WHP are in reality within the tolerance and repeatability of a dyno/engine.

Unless this is the averaged result of e.g. 10 measurements pre-mod and post-mod under the same environmental conditions.

I wouldn't bother still, given the potentially increased wear. But that's just me.
      10-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #15
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
5-10 WHP are in reality within the tolerance and repeatability of a dyno/engine.

Unless this is the averaged result of e.g. 10 measurements pre-mod and post-mod under the same environmental conditions.

I wouldn't bother still, given the potentially increased wear. But that's just me.
I feel the same way too. But a closed box intake system is as close as you're gonna get between the sound, power, and reliability!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #16
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

At this point I am convinced open air intakes are unwanted in the long term. Higher IATs (how does that translate to turbo output heat?), 40-50% less filtering in of particles in some cases [1] (bad things getting into your turbo & engine). It doesn't affect emissions, as far as I can tell. Thus, to me, if open air intakes were positive, OEM standard would've been high flow from the start. I'm not saying the DYNO won't show a positive net gain at high RPM (not low), I don't know the affect of this over time. I have to err on the side of caution and say it's negative over time (long period not just a dyno session). I will say that K&N filter acceleration in the study linked showed 5.87s K&N vs 5.99 stock OEM. I didn't see the goal/threshold for speed; but to me, not worth it unless you really like the wooosh. Make an educated decision with the data.

Although, I do love the WOOOSH sound from open air intakes...

1- https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01475-main.pdf

Last edited by vektorprime; 10-24-2021 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1879.00
      10-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #17
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

You get an intake for the turbo noises.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:58 AM   #18
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Isn't that a 1990's thing?
Just saying… it's 2021… everyone has at least one turbo… incl. the 1.2 litre engines.
      10-25-2021, 02:32 AM   #19
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Isn't that a 1990's thing?
Just saying… it's 2021… everyone has at least one turbo… incl. the 1.2 litre engines.
True. But the sound is muted from factory, especially on economy cars. I like hearing the turbo spool and intake noises, as do other people. Just different preferences, that's all.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1879.00
      10-25-2021, 05:48 AM   #20
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

A lot of the big turbo M140i lads have moved back to the stock airbox, seems to be much better option than changing the intake.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #21
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektorprime View Post
At this point I am convinced open air intakes are unwanted in the long term. Higher IATs (how does that translate to turbo output heat?), 40-50% less filtering in of particles in some cases [1] (bad things getting into your turbo & engine). It doesn't affect emissions, as far as I can tell. Thus, to me, if open air intakes were positive, OEM standard would've been high flow from the start. I'm not saying the DYNO won't show a positive net gain at high RPM (not low), I don't know the affect of this over time. I have to err on the side of caution and say it's negative over time (long period not just a dyno session). I will say that K&N filter acceleration in the study linked showed 5.87s K&N vs 5.99 stock OEM. I didn't see the goal/threshold for speed; but to me, not worth it unless you really like the wooosh. Make an educated decision with the data.

Although, I do love the WOOOSH sound from open air intakes...

1- https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01475-main.pdf
Interesting article, thanks for posting that.

Has there been a study that actually shows the difference in filtration? Sure, using an cotton filter like a K&N does have lower pore size vs paper, but you don't run it dry, you oil it. So there is a 2-stage effect going on there with dust being attracted to the oil. Oiled foam filters (much large pore size) were used in engines (including lawn mowers) for years with no ill effects.

With that study, they did use tissue paper around the filter. What happens when that gets oily and seals the filter more? Obviously really hard to saturate both with dust equally for a true scientific test.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #22
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

There is not a single third party filter manufacturer (reputable or not) that has published a study or test result comparing the filtration efficiency in comparison to a stock filter (that I know of!)….. that alone should tell you enough

The answers are almost always in what's not written rather than in what's written